Warning: Rewrite of mapgen V7 floatlands

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Warning: Rewrite of mapgen V7 floatlands

by paramat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 23:34

The optional floatlands in mapgen V7 (which for 3 years have been disabled by default and documented as "highly unstable") will soon be completely rewritten and improved. I hope to have the replacement ready in time for MT 5.2.0 stable release.

To reduce disruption, i advise that anyone thinking of starting a new mapgen V7 world with floatlands enabled, does not do so, and waits for the new implementation in MT 5.2.0 stable.
Of course, you can if you want =) but the structure of the floatlands will radically change in MT 5.2.0 stable, perhaps causing some leaks from half-generated lakes (see below).

If anyone has a mapgen V7 world with floatlands enabled, the mapgen flag will be preserved for that world, so when the new implementation arrives these worlds will continue to have floatland generation. At changeover to the new generation, there may be some leaks from half-generated lakes (see below).

If anyone uses the development version of MT and has a mapgen V7 world with floatlands enabled:
Floatland generation will soon stop happening, when i remove the current code, then some weeks later will start again when i add the new code.
Note that when generation stops, any half-generated floatland lakes will then leak water onto the terrain below, so you might want to fly around to check for these and build walls across them.

I will update this thread with news.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Warning: Rewrite of mapgen V7 floatlands

by Wuzzy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 14:46

That's interesting. What are your plans with the floatlands, apart from fixing leaking lakes?
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 00:49

Important update:

Mapgen V7 floatlands are now removed from MT development version.
If you have any V7 worlds with floatlands enabled, here is some advice about how to manage the changeover to either a MT dev version without floatlands, or to MT 5.2.0 stable which will have a new (but still unstable) implementation.

You can take action either before you changeover or after, but before is recommended and safer.

///////////

Before changeover:

Use a MT mapping program to map out the full extent of your floatlands. Make sure to set the mapping y-limits to include the mapchunk layer containing the floatland lakes (with default floatland level and default chunksize this mapchunk layer will be from y = 1248 to y = 1327).

Looking at your maps, if you see any half-generated floatland lakes, travel to them and fly around to generate them completely.
On changeover you will then not have any half-generated leaking lakes to worry about or fix.

///////////

After changeover:

Map out the floatlands as above.

Looking at your maps, if you see any half-generated floatland lakes, travel to them and build sand walls across the edge to stop the leaks.
Any water that has already started to fall to the world surface below will eventually disappear if you follow it down to the surface.

///////////

Wuzzy, well for a start, the new floatlands will not have lakes. Putting lakes in the sky was one of the big mistakes i made =D

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 02:13

paramat wrote:Putting lakes in the sky was one of the big mistakes i made =D

Nah, putting lakes in the sky is cool. Only not properly making sure that thy don’t leak was a mistake :)

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Sun Jan 05, 2020 06:23

Linuxdirk wrote:
paramat wrote:Putting lakes in the sky was one of the big mistakes i made =D

Nah, putting lakes in the sky is cool. Only not properly making sure that thy don’t leak was a mistake :)

Agreed! People use mods that add lakes above sea level for a reason :3

Return to News