Minetest 5.4.0

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: Minetest 5.4.0

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Got a few missing depends on content DB , books redux has one missing,
Is the team aware of these ? or are they bugging out and should be registering the depend .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

is this just me or have anyone the same problem ...

i i try to download the source i get a "500: Internal Server Error" -.-

> https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/5.4.0.zip

// edit

ok, now it works

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Note . External world back up folder custom rename now no longer registers in game . shows only original name .

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

Copying worked, if I recall correctly (I only use Linux).

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

The Debian package is still 5.3.0. Can anyone get - officially - in touch with the Debian Games Team for any assistance they might need? We're getting close to 1 month since release and it would be nice for the Raspberry Pi OS and other Debian-based distros to have 5.4.0 in their repositories. I look forward to updating my server (via APT). :)

Enkidu
In-game: Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

I've just been re-reading KongarTheTerrible's rant from March 8. Frankly his/her post is ridiculous and sad.

Firstly, the developers of Minetest do not have any control over the mods and games that people provide to enrich the experience that is Minetest. The games, even Minetest game are provided by other people. The mods are provided by other people too.

The people who supply the mods and the games have a chance to test their mods and games on the latest development version of Minetest, which is available on GitHub. I'm actually running version 5.5.0 from there, but that's a story for another day.

It is not the responsibility of the core devs to run and test any mods or games. It is the responsibility of the game and mod developers, and it is also the responsibility of those who choose to run the 'latest and greatest' version of Minetest to report any bugs in games and mods that they find to the game and mod developers. Not to the core devs.

The game and mod developers have real lives too, and do not always respond to reports of bugs. They are not paid to maintain the mods and games for Minetest, and for that matter neither are the core devs. That is life.

Secondly, I have been in IT for decades, from mainframe days, as a systems programmer and a system maintainer. If I was presented with a new release of the operating system, I would stand up a test version and test that thoroughly. Then and only then would I, as a maintainer, also install any third party software on the test system. There was *always* a test system and even x.y.z releases were always tested before they made it to the production machines. And there was always a migration plan and a back out plan.

I would not waste my time ranting and railing at the core devs if there was a problem with the test machine. I would report the issue in as much detail and clarity as I could, and wait until I had a fix for the issue (or a workaround, of course). I would not throw up my hands and say "This software is totally broken! Why wasn't it tested properly?"

I would do the testing myself or would pass on the testing to those entrusted with the care of the third party software. Nothing would actually be implemented on the production machines, unless everyone, from myself to a selected set of end users, was happy with it. I would not have expected the developers of the system to have tested their software with every possible combination of other software that exists. That is ridiculous. It's impossible.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 14:06
freshreplicant wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 13:12
Doesn't it make more sense for the people who are having issues with 5.4 to report what mods they are using?
It also make sense to have a list of stable mods with no issues .
Good idea. Are you volunteering to maintain it?

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Enkidu wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 23:40
freshreplicant wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 13:12
Doesn't it make more sense for the people who are having issues with 5.4 to report what mods they are using?
I think the community as a whole needs to come together and maintain it , rather than one individual . some feedback from the developers as to what they run for testing purposes would be a good place to start .

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

There are plenty of edge cases that most mods otherwise regarded as stable/compatible could crash a game. What would probably help is for ContentDB to make the important links more visible, so the Issue Tracker can stand out better. Players should be encouraged to report issues. That's a more useful kind of effort that can also strengthen the community in the process.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

Mon Mar 22, 2021 08:48
Enkidu wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 23:40

I think the community as a whole needs to come together and maintain it , rather than one individual . some feedback from the developers as to what they run for testing purposes would be a good place to start .
Someone will have to set it up in the first place. There may need to be moderators. It's not as simple as the community coming together and maintaining it. Who decides that a mod is stable or unstable? If I decide to say "Module A is stable," I'd bet that 10 minutes later someone will say "Are you kidding me? That mod destroyed my hard disk, set the computer on fire, which caused my house to burn down. Then it ran off with my wife."

If you want a list of the mods that the developers use, just fire up the "Development Test game" and type /mods. Those will be the ones that the core devs use, probably.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Enkidu wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 03:59

," I'd bet that 10 minutes later someone will say "Are you kidding me? That mod destroyed my hard disk, set the computer on fire, which caused my house to burn down. Then it ran off with my wife."
nice creative brushstrokes 10/10 for the strawman painting

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

A bad/hilarious example doesn't mean you can't imagine how mods can be marked as compatible while also having issues that can be found sometime later. :)

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Nicu wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 09:02
A bad/hilarious example doesn't mean you can't imagine how mods can be marked as compatible while also having issues that can be found sometime later. :)
So you imagine that all mods are all full of issues and will crash sooner or later regardless of any recommondations . well thankyou for sharing those imaginative skills with us it was very insightful .

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Sat Mar 27, 2021 09:38
So you imagine that all mods are all full of issues and will crash sooner or later regardless of any recommondations . well thankyou for sharing those imaginative skills with us it was very insightful .
With CTF PRs (Which add new mods sometimes) you can have a bug that isn't found by 3 different testers but pops up as soon as you merge into the server.

You won't have that with all mods, but if you're handling a large amount of mods you will see it a few times
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 14:48
(Which add new mods sometimes) you can have a bug that isn't found by 3 different testers
You won't have that with all mods, but if you're handling a large amount of mods you will see it a few times
now we have another with imaginative skills adding to the mix "new mods sometimes" to create a scenario to fit the narrative of Minetest is too buggy to support recommended lists ,

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

Sat Mar 27, 2021 09:38
Nicu wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 09:02
All mods, all full of issues? That's an extreme take on something I didn't say/imply.

However, no one prevents anyone from maintaining such a list. Do it if you find it useful. I'm sure there will be people who will appreciate it.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Another view:

How we can expect the modders to 'repair' or fix their mod for a new 'version' of mt,
when this happen after just once to 5.0.x but now even between 5.2.0 to 5.3.0 and again to 5.4.0 -
how can they trust anymore to fix there mod to an actual version, when just at the next one the compatibility is gone again ?

This reminds me more and more often so Sysyphus
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Minecheck

by Minecheck » Post

KongarTheTerrible wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 17:51
Over past few weeks I painstaking built a server in 5.3 latest. Every great.

Installed 5.4. Result = "Creating Server..." > Connection timeout.
I had the same. But it seems to me not a problem with a single mod. There was just the "alphabet" who does not work at any circumstances. After some trials all my games and worlds work as single player, even with more than hundred mods (I like it). With MC2 and LoTT (and I guess with other "mod closed" games) there is no problem with hosted server. But still is a problem with MTG with hosted server. I tried to lower the number of the mods and after a while the server starts. But I would like to have them all, to build with my little son farther on how it was...

In my opinion it will be something to do with cache or memory (I have 16 GB), some kind of inner traffic or just with a time stamp anywhere in the game, that will end the starting process after a while (30 sec and 10 sec to write the debug). I am not familiar with programming, just an ordinary trialist.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

If you have a reproducible set of conditions under which the server will not start up/takes a very long time please open an issue on Github and we (the developers) will take a look to fix it in case of an engine bug or determine the actual source.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Minecheck

by Minecheck » Post

Seems to me that somebody has done: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/11085

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Oh, I see.
When you said "hosted server" I thought of a standalone minetestserver instance (these definitely still work fine), but if you mean hosting from the menu as stated in the issue then we're indeed aware already.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

tibor.vansa
GitHub: tiborvansa
In-game: Tibor

by tibor.vansa » Post

Minecheck wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 14:52
Seems to me that somebody has done: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/11085
I have this issue too and I found a workaround. In singleplayer, the game started, when I didnt check option "start server" in GUI. Instead I started server from command line. After that I joined to the server with GUI, on the same computer under the same user (I am using Linux Mint). After that, I was also able to connect to server from different computer as another player.

Minecheck

by Minecheck » Post

tibor.vansa wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 09:49
I have this issue too and I found a workaround. In singleplayer, the game started, when I didnt check option "start server" in GUI. Instead I started server from command line. After that I joined to the server with GUI, on the same computer under the same user (I am using Linux Mint). After that, I was also able to connect to server from different computer as another player.
Hopefully I tried this, because I use Linux Mint too (the flatpak version) and it works in the terminal with:

Code: Select all

flatpak run net.minetest.Minetest minetest --server --worldname xxx
In the GUI it does not work on this PC at first. Then I tried it with the second PC via GUI as user and it runs well. So I had to change on the first PC in the GUI the IP as it was shown on the second PC and than it runs on both with all mods perfectly.

You are my hero! My son will be happy and I will be a hero for him. Thank you.