i can only start /home/debiankaios/minetest/bin/minetest

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

Re: Minetest 5.4.0

by Nicu » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 13:36
Nicu: In the backports is nothing
So far, neither Ubuntu or Debian have 5.4.0, and only the PPA offers 5.4.0 for Ubuntu - client only. But a server can be started from the command line like this:

Code: Select all

minetest --server --game game_name --config /path/to/config_file
Now running the server manually is doable, but a service has advantages. I hope the updated server package will be made available soon enough for both Ubuntu and Debian.

--- For anyone interested ---
Debian still has 5.3.0 in backports, but I assume we'll get 5.4.0 at some point. This is my APT configuration file on my Raspberry Pi (running the latest Raspberry Pi OS), but it should work just the same for PCs to get updates in the future:

Create this file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list and add the following line:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main
Once done, the APT cache needs updating and the installation will work.

Client installation:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install minetest/buster-backports
Server installation:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install minetest-server/buster-backports

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Compiled it on Arch yesterday. The (as of yesterday) most recent PKGBUILD is broken, but the 5.3.0 PKGBUILD works properly, just change the version number and hashes to match 5.4.0.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

I have now mt 5.5.0 dev and 5.3.0 and 0.4.17 on my pc

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

GayJesus wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 00:53
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install minetest

This gave me 5.4 about 8 hiours ago from time of this post
Thanks for info.
Nicu wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 01:15
This PPA has the latest stable version for actively maintained Ubuntu releases from 16.04 up to 21.04:
https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Only minetest-server is missing at the moment - both in the PPA and the Debian backports.
Ok, thanks. Just at first I tried to install it from here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=minetest and the latest stable version is 5.3.0 there yet.

Worldblender
GitHub: RQWorldblender
In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Post

Wow, the changes to Minetest Game have surprised me for good! I never knew that a crafting guide would land as part of it (now I don't to wonder about how to make certain recipes). The changed block sounds for sand, stones, and metals are a major improvement. All of these and the various other changes to Minetest Game make it more enjoyable.

The newly added 3D model formspec will be very helpful for some of my mods. I can have them display in a GUI, possibly for use as a preview.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Worldblender wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 03:54
Wow, the changes to Minetest Game have surprised me for good! I never knew that a crafting guide would land as part of it (now I don't to wonder about how to make certain recipes). The changed block sounds for sand, stones, and metals are a major improvement. All of these and the various other changes to Minetest Game make it more enjoyable.

The newly added 3D model formspec will be very helpful for some of my mods. I can have them display in a GUI, possibly for use as a preview.
OMG, really cool.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Worldblender wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 03:54
Wow, the changes to Minetest Game have surprised me for good! I never knew that a crafting guide would land as part of it
I remember somewhere in the deep abyss of my mind that there were discussions about a craftguide in MTG and the result was "there won't be a craftguide". Good to see that this has changed (or my mind just tricked me).

And to be honest: This will be pretty much the end for 3rd-party craftguides. Those were created solely because MTG does not have one. Now that it has there is no reason to install a 3rd-party craftguide.

I'll likely stop the development of my own craftguide and start working on my custom creative inventory again.

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 08:39
And to be honest: This will be pretty much the end for 3rd-party craftguides. Those were created solely because MTG does not have one. Now that it has there is no reason to install a 3rd-party craftguide.
Or maybe not.

Firstly, Minetest Game is far for being the center of the universe. Game creators still need craftguide to fork it in their games. craftguide is in use in the 3 most popular subgames of Minetest: Minetest Game, MCL2 and MultiCraft. craftguide has been used by millions of players around the world. Yes I repeat: millions of players thanks to MultiCraft. This is probably the most popular mod ever created if you take every game and commercial fork into account.

Secondly, upstream craftguide is still far more advanced than its MTG fork, not only by its modern UI which more convenient to use (except for old head haters) but also because it shows more recipes.

Thirdly, because not everyone likes to access the crafting guide via the inventory and prefer a book or a sign.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jp wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 18:06
Game creators still need craftguide to fork it in their games.
Game creators always came up with other solutions. I talk about the normal people who think MTG = MT. They needed a craftguide and now don’t need one anymore because MTG has one.
jp wrote:
This is probably the most popular mod ever created if you take every game and commercial fork into account.
Because it filled a hole that is no longer there.
jp wrote:
Secondly, upstream craftguide is still far more advanced than its MTG fork
But is it really needed for everyday players?

It was “Minetest Game, this mod, that mod, this other mod, ah yes, a craftguide, this mod, this mod, and this mod” and now it’s “Minetest Game, this mod, that mod, this other mod, ah great, MTG already has a craftguide, this mod, this mod, and this mod”.

I know you’re mad but this is the reality.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

The old german translations was better! Please translate back

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 08:04
You can translate Minetest here: https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/minetest/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

DiSliKra

by DiSliKra » Post

Thank you !!
I'm so happy : Automatic updates ! Waw !
But I don't see MAC app (for creating home server). Is there a link or planning or trick to complilate this one ?
When I make a BREW command, it remains to 5.3.0. version (I'm on MACOS 11.13.6.)
Thank you again !

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

DiSliKra wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 17:14
Thank you !!
I'm so happy : Automatic updates ! Waw !
But I don't see MAC app (for creating home server). Is there a link or planning or trick to complilate this one ?
When I make a BREW command, it remains to 5.3.0. version (I'm on MACOS 11.13.6.)
Thank you again !
Homebrew should be updated now. I've never used it, is there way to get it to update/sync the package information?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

DiSliKra

by DiSliKra » Post

Homebrew should be updated now. I've never used it, is there way to get it to update/sync the package information?
Yes, It works (Minetest 5.4.0_1) ! Thank you !

This is the command :

brew upgrade minetest

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

by StarNinjas » Post

Thanks devs!
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

WTF?
How is the new translation worse????

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

Fix: Use "clip", "blend" or "opaque" (see documentation)
A clickable link on documentation would be helpful. lua_api.txt is nice, but a migration guide would be nice as well somewhere, anywhere. That's because reading this commit I wonder:
- Is there a default value for use_texture_alpha if it's not specified? If not, why not?
- If there's a default, why do we see both "clip" and "opaque" added in minetest_game (commit) for stuff that didn't have alpha previously?
- Is it correct to assume that anything that had a certain value for "alpha" is now supposed to be set to "blend"?

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 01:03
WTF?
How is the new translation worse????
What should be mean "Mods Auswählen", there was "Konfigurieren" besser. But not only this! "Hauptmenü" was better then "Zum Hauptmenü"

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

So, none of these translations is actually wrong. It all just boils down to style …
It became “Mods auswählen” because the English string became “Select Mods”. And technically, this describes the functionality anyway.
As for the “Hauptmenü” … That's just stilistic choice. But OK, I dropped the “Zum“.
Is that all?

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

// opinion

"Mods Auswählen" is explicit. New players have no idea what to configure and they might ignore it. But "Select Mods" (in English) is an action that players easily understand. So the new translation is an improvement.

"Hauptmenü" is arguably better because it's reasonably clear and short. "Zum Hauptmenü" is more complete but its advantage is that it implies an action. And generally, in UI/UX design it's better to have buttons implying action when possible. But in this specific case, I think both are fine. :P

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I have a slight problem with MT 5.4 I used to be able to select text in formspecs, press Ctrl-C, and it would copy to the clipboard. This was *extremely* useful for developing and general use.

With 5.4, selected text no longer can copy to the clipboard.

r1bnc
GitHub: r1bnc
IRC: r1bnc
In-game: r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

MisterE wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 19:23
I have a slight problem with MT 5.4 I used to be able to select text in formspecs, press Ctrl-C, and it would copy to the clipboard. This was *extremely* useful for developing and general use.

With 5.4, selected text no longer can copy to the clipboard.
On the Linux version of Minetest Copy-Paste doesnt work even before 5.4.0...
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

r1bnc wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:38
On the Linux version of Minetest Copy-Paste doesnt work even before 5.4.0...
It worked from and to formspec text areas on Arch Linux with Openbox as window manager. I actively used that functionality for programming a microcontroller from the technic mod.