2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [POST-MORTEM!]

NO11
GitHub: NO411
In-game: NO11

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [PLAY and RATE!]

by NO11 » Post

Yes, everyone can review the games on content DB now.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [PLAY and RATE!]

by debiankaios » Post

NO11 wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 22, 2021 08:33
Yes, everyone can review the games on content DB now.
I rated allready two. Radomly one was baloonair by you.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

By the way, if your game literally does not start for whatever reason, bug fixes for that are OK.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

One question will there next year again a game jam? Or will there another competition like mod jam or texture jam. Or what we really need a sound jam!? We need really sound packs but that must in another topic :)

runs

by runs » Post

debiankaios wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 22, 2021 21:45
One question will there next year again a game jam? Or will there another competition like mod jam or texture jam. Or what we really need a sound jam!? We need really sound packs but that must in another topic :)
Game?! I pray that it does not.

Mods there are already hundreds. The texture thing sounds interesting, but for the love of God, JAM no, time to do something quality.

But I would vote for a JAM coding. Whoever wins, let him merge his PR. That would be a good and real breakthrough.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

debiankaios wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 22, 2021 21:45
Sure, why not. We'll definitely be making many adjustments though :]
Competitions for mods and other media probably belong in smaller events, we host quite a few on the Discord server, and I've seen one or two on the forum before. But we'll think about how we can spice things up in the next one.
runs wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:01
Game?! I pray that it does not.
for the love of God, JAM no, time to do something quality.
Hey there, just because you aren't able to produce something cool in nearly a month's time doesn't mean you have to keep everyone else from having fun. If you don't like it, then don't participate, don't win anything, and don't have fun. Quality isn't even the point of this anyway.

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

I have a question and also something I would like to say. Question: When will the next jam be? The other thing: Sorry.
Yeet.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Every time one can be. But with high priority again in christmas-time.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

People: please go thru and mark some reviews as helpful: id suggest any well thought-out critical review that offers likes dislikes and ways of improvement should be marked helpful, regardless of whether you agree with the review's content.

this is useful: https://content.minetest.net/reviews

talamh

by talamh » Post

I've been checking out some of the entries and want to say best of luck to all entrants.

I want to preface what I say next with I have no horse in this race and am not making any accusations at all, it's just that one of the entries rang a bell:

viewtopic.php?p=383813#p383813

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

yes I had started on a bomberman clone previously about a year ago. unfortunately: a) it didn't go very well and b) I lost all the code and assets when my motherboard died. Blockbomber is coded from scratch during the gamejam, and the assets are made from scratch except as noted.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

MisterE wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:09
yes I had started on a bomberman clone previously about a year ago. unfortunately: a) it didn't go very well and b) I lost all the code and assets when my motherboard died. Blockbomber is coded from scratch during the gamejam, and the assets are made from scratch except as noted.
Was data recovery from the hard drive not an option?
/Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB βœοΈβ™‚

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

havnt gotten around to it yet, costs money and it wasn't important enough

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

MisterE wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 27, 2021 23:53
havnt gotten around to it yet, costs money and it wasn't important enough
Unless the motherboard actively harmed the hard drive, it's likely all you need to do is plug it into a SATA port in a working desktop machine and away you go, you can copy the files elsewhere. But I can understand there might be other reasons: if you don't have one of those available, though maybe a friend might. You would also need a portable hard drive or maybe cloud storage at least temporarily. If the drive is boot-encrypted e.g. BitLocker that could be a problem as well; also a problem if it's an M.2 drive and you don't have a slot for that or if the hardware in question was quite proprietary and a hassle to take the disk out of.

I won't push you further, you probably have a good reason, but just be aware in the simplest cases 'data recovery' is as simple as plugging the hard drive into another system and copying stuff away elsewhere.
/Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB βœοΈβ™‚

AFCM
GitHub: AFCMS
IRC: AFCM
In-game: AFCM

by AFCM » Post

I have a question.
Is it ok to commit changes to my github repo even before the game jam ends? Without updating the package on cdb ofc.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

AFCM wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 28, 2021 21:00
I have a question.
Is it ok to commit changes to my github repo even before the game jam ends? Without updating the package on cdb ofc.
Only the CDB package matters so yes, that's fine.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Okay, since the official community review period is over, I finally posted my reviews of (almost) all of the games that were submitted. Note that I am a participant (which I mentioned in every post, just to be sure).

Just wanted to give you a heads-up.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 30, 2021 19:48
Okay, since the official community review period is over, I finally posted my reviews of (almost) all of the games that were submitted. Note that I am a participant (which I mentioned in every post, just to be sure).

Just wanted to give you a heads-up.
The review date is inclusive, so there's still a few hours to finish up.

Also, the result date does say January 1st is a possibility for results, and that is what will happen. Because of that I'm not going to disqualify reviews that happen on Dec. 31st (I know the dates keep shifting slightly; this is the first time doing something of this scale, so we are still getting our footing).

celeron55 will be livestreaming his reviews Dec. 31 18:00 UTC, so feel free to check that out (where? probably youtube).

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

The jam results are in!

3rd place: Little Lady by Just_Visiting/ExeVirus ($144)
2nd place: Subway Miner by AFCM ($216)
1st place: Alter by yaman ($360)

Congratulations to the winners, and congratulations to everyone that made an awesome game! Now that the jam is over, go fix those bugs and add more features!
(Winners will be contacted within the next day for prize handling)

Complete rankings:

Full details coming soon at https://github.com/GreenXenith/minetest ... aster/2021

(Top post updated)

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [RESULTS IN!]

by Tim790 » Post

ALTER WON!!!!!!
Yeet.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Hmm, strange... Subway Miner took a second place... if I could I would place it on 1st, because IMO this is the most finished game of all remain present ones. Alter is not such finished yet, exactly in terms of the gameplay. There are few original stuff as sounds, textures. Also, the graphic interface is not as much attractive and modern as in Subway Miner.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Andrey01 wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 01, 2022 16:41
Hmm, strange... Subway Miner took a second place... if I could I would place it on 1st, because IMO this is the most finished game of all remain present ones. Alter is not such finished yet, exactly in terms of the gameplay. There are few original stuff as sounds, textures. Also, the graphic interface is not as much attractive and modern as in Subway Miner.
I rated Alter higher because it was more original and I found it more fun. I wasn't expecting games to be large and complete, so Alter not having many levels didn't bother me
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Andrey01 wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 01, 2022 16:41
Different judges look for different things, and value different aspects of a game. Subway Miner was my personal top, but that doesn't mean everyone should vote the same way.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Full statistics and judge notes have been added! Check them out here https://github.com/GreenXenith/minetest ... RESULTS.md and here https://github.com/GreenXenith/minetest ... E_NOTES.md.
Stats include community reviews, judge distributions, and more.