2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [POST-MORTEM!]

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$500 prize pool]

by PolySaken » Post

(Tim's brain is so mushy that his opinions change every time he turns a corner in his car, because a little bit sloshes out of his ears each time)
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Honestly, I think this is fucking stupid, if Minetest higher ups can give people money for making games, why can't we close source our stuff, why can't we make money, add game encryption and I will start making Minetest games again.
You can absolutely close-source your stuff today. CDB doesn't accept proprietary content, but there are plenty of servers that keep their code private. This has always been the case. And as for making money... I mean, there's no rule that you can't make money off your work either. jp just started offering paid service for i3 the other day for instance: viewtopic.php?p=402697#p402697

Also... aren't you the guy who got banned from CDB because he kept uploading and abandoning random game projects like every week? Is "I will start making Minetest games again" an offer, or a threat?

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 13:48
Is "I will start making Minetest games again" an offer, or a threat?
This made my day, thank you.
Jump in the caac

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 06:17
Honestly, I think this is fucking stupid, if Minetest higher ups can give people money for making games, why can't we close source our stuff, why can't we make money, add game encryption and I will start making Minetest games again.
You *can*. Its just frowned upon. But by all means, go ahead.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 01:25
Also: are there system requirements? If I make a game that will run slower on comparatively low-end computers, does that negatively affect my score?
I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the jury decides to award bonus scores to more efficient games.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Tim790 wrote:
1. The money isn't contributed by "higher ups", it is donated by community members;
2. You can make money (if your content is good enough);
3. You should be able to close-source mods & games, though it is frowned upon;
4. What the heck is game encryption meant to be? Sounds like a misused buzzword;
5. I don't think your games ever reached a state of "completeness" to begin with
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

The jam has BEGUN! (Dec. 1st UCT)
You have 3 weeks to make a small, fun-to-play Minetest game! Participate for experience, glory, or part of the $500+ prize pool!

(Yes, we know the ContentDB is experiencing issues at the moment; This should be resolved before you need to use it)
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Sorry, the forum stopped giving me thread notifications.
PolySaken wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 01:04
Question: why paypal? not everyone who might participate can even qualify for an account
As I already wrote in the top post, its for international reasons. PayPal is the most widely available money transfering platform. Also already wrote, alternatives may be discussed on a case-by-case basis if someone that wins is not able to use PayPal.
PolySaken wrote:
Also: are there system requirements? If I make a game that will run slower on comparatively low-end computers, does that negatively affect my score?
We don't impose any hard requirements, but obviously a community member that cant run your game is more likely to negatively review it. Most of the judges can probably run most of what you'll throw at us, but you still may get a slightly lower score depending on the judge.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 00:12
Sorry, the forum stopped giving me thread notifications.
PolySaken wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 01:04
Question: why paypal? not everyone who might participate can even qualify for an account
As I already wrote in the top post, its for international reasons. PayPal is the most widely available money transfering platform. Also already wrote, alternatives may be discussed on a case-by-case basis if someone that wins is not able to use PayPal.
PolySaken wrote:
We don't impose any hard requirements, but obviously a community member that cant run your game is more likely to negatively review it. Most of the judges can probably run most of what you'll throw at us, but you still may get a slightly lower score depending on the judge.
of note: my computer slows to a crawl when rendering all the models of all the rocks in the cave-style version of labyrinth. Also when I try to make all stone nodes of a more rounded nodebox type it can slow way down. So yeah watch the weight or some judges might not be able to play. My computer is a newish i5 with 12 gb ram

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Nice false dichotomy between open source and making money. You could make money through ad.fly download links, soliciting donations or SaaS (last paragraph). If you think you're going to make so much off close-sourcing your game, then why bother responding to this thread? Clearly you have the business strategy needed to make money anyway right?

Do you really think you need 'game encryption'? Firstly, why are you so afrai of people pirating your game? I hope you are aware that if you actually made a game good enough that people want to pirate it, it's only a matter of time until whatever whitebox encryption you use is broken. It happens 100% of the time. Time spent on copy protection is time not spent on the actual game. Even better, you are asking the Minetest devs to spend their time so you can make money. See how onesided that deal is?

Nothing is stopping you, in fact Minetest's architecture is helping you, to make a game that nobody can pirate if they play on your server and you never offer a singleplayer game download. That leaves you free to use a monetisation scheme like Hypixel and other Minecraft servers.

So I contend that the only thing stopping you from making money off of Minetest is yourself.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

GreenXenith

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$500+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by GreenXenith » Post

Discussion about game monetization should be taken up in a separate thread. Please stay on-topic, thanks!

mini
GitHub: niansa
IRC: nisa oder tuxifan
In-game: nisa oder tuxifan

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$500+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by mini » Post

Whohoooo let's goo!
I got plently of good ideas already and the only thing that stops me rn if lack of lua knowledge!

NO11
GitHub: NO411
In-game: NO11

by NO11 » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
But if our game is to support Minetest 5.5-dev, many "normal" gamers may not be able to run it because they are still playing 5.3 or so.

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

What a nice event indeed; that's like, so much money guys! ^^
We're going to help review your work, you can count on that muhahahah.
Good luck to all participants!!!
Jump in the caac

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

NO11 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 15:10
GreenXenith wrote:
But if our game is to support Minetest 5.5-dev, many "normal" gamers may not be able to run it because they are still playing 5.3 or so.
it must support 5.4.x

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

LMD wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 17:34
PolySaken wrote:
I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the jury decides to award bonus scores to more efficient games.
The minetest engine itself is pretty inefficient, this basically means there's an upper limit on the visual polish that games are allowed to have
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

The minetest engine itself is pretty inefficient, this basically means there's an upper limit on the visual polish that games are allowed to have
As a judge I probably shouldn't offer advice, but here's my take: Some forms of visual polish might not be as viable for perf reasons, but a strong art direction can absolutely make up for a lack of fancy effects and there are plenty of ways to implement that without noticeably increasing overhead.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

you should explain why crypto is not allowed. it is after all the most widely available platform for transferring money - it meets this requirement better than paypal. and is fully transparent.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 07:58
you should explain why crypto is not allowed. it is after all the most widely available platform for transferring money - it meets this requirement better than paypal. and is fully transparent.
I'm the one handling prize distribution and I don't use crypto, and don't intend to for the foreseeable future. There is a remote possibility of using it in a future event, but not for now.

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 07:58
Crypto currency was an interesting idea, but what is going on nowadays with it, is a crime against humanity and planet.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I think it would be more ideal. but its also potentially exclusive and controversial. for ideological reasons but not practical ones. in the future if you are interested in it you should tell me. I can create the necessary financial vheicles to fully decentralize the handling of the funds. which is more robust.

personally I wont use paypal for privacy reasons. so we are at an impass here.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:05
I think it would be more ideal. but its also potentially exclusive and controversial. for ideological reasons but not practical ones. in the future if you are interested in it you should tell me. I can create the necessary financial vheicles to fully decentralize the handling of the funds. which is more robust.

personally I wont use paypal for privacy reasons. so we are at an impass here.
other solutions like librepay are allowed at the handler's discretion. and if none of those work, then you can suggest a charity or donate to the minetest project. and if that doesn't work then you can just decline the prize and compete just for fun like all the judges are doing

NO11
GitHub: NO411
In-game: NO11

by NO11 » Post

MisterE wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 00:11
other solutions like librepay are allowed at the handler's discretion. and if none of those work, then you can suggest a charity or donate to the minetest project. and if that doesn't work then you can just decline the prize and compete just for fun like all the judges are doing
Wait, can judges also participate?

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

NO11 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 18:40
MisterE wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 00:11
Wait, can judges also participate?
Does anyone read the full info document?

Judges are allowed to participate, but their submissions are non-competing. Judges also can't rate their own packages. Their submissions will be ranked though, as a tie with whatever place they get.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

Is it okay beginning later?