Minetest 5.6.1

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Minetest 5.6.1

by Festus1965 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 15:46
Also, you can't conclude from short uptimes that it was due to crashes. Even if it was a crash, it could also be a faulty mod. But there is always the possibility of a regular shutdown. For example, the JT2 server restarts daily by design, so your analysis goes right into the toilet there.
Wrong, the bullshit, if you want to name it like this, is based on Minetest decision that often crash (or restart) is bad:
I wanna remind you to .../serverlist/...

Code: Select all

# Up to -8 for less than an hour of uptime (penalty linearly decreasing)
			# only if the server has restarted before within the last 2 hours
			HOUR_SECS = 60 * 60
			uptime = server["uptime"]
			if uptime < HOUR_SECS:
				start_time = start_times.get("%s:%d" % (server["ip"], server["port"]), 0)
				if start_time >= time.time() - 2 * HOUR_SECS:
					points -= ((HOUR_SECS - uptime) / HOUR_SECS) * 8
as this is also an used fact of server ranking !!! hehe

So then also fact, that I can use it also to estimate a stability of a server.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

@Festus1965: You're producing more b***shit than the BS factor.
* The serverlist ranking you linked doesn't state that it takes the uptime into account because of stability.
* Even if it did for that reason, it's not concluding less stability from an uptime less than several days. A minetest server doesn't need to run 24/7 without restarts.
* The stability of a server does normally not depend on the minetest version. Almost all crashes result from lua errors in mods. And new minor minetest versions (i.e. from 5.1.x to 5.2.x) do not cause new crashes (under normal circumstances).
But this and the point above were already brought up anyway.
* If you want something to happen, you have to do it yourself. This includes bugfixes: If you want something fixed, go fix it yourself. Nobody develops minetest to make YOUR experience better. If you can't convince anyone that THEY want it, you have to do it yourself.
The same applies for your suggestion to make more bugfix backports. Nobody is holding you back from forking minetest and only cherry-picking the bugfixes. I wish you fun solving the conflicts!
Also, you can do the same for mods.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

yeah yeah,
it also does a statement why a server might restart so often: fact ... restart as of whatever = points lost

Yes, crash from lua code ... and why ? as often the engine change basic parts like values from boolen to other, or change set:??? also ... and as long mods are not specified in there version to a engine version, for me the reason is engine, when a mod was running well with the older engine version !

My servers last 3 crash was auth ... upps, what mod I have to change for it ?
But if I go 5.5.1 or 5.6.1 I have to check 100 mods, if THEY are already 'fixed' for the new versions.

But anyway ... go on ... I just keep it up for the gamer still here ... as soon gamer is 1-3 month no-one in, I can consider to stop this madness for me.

Self solution in coding ... too late for me, too many stones was put in my way already before
I just remember the LuaJit problem, that was no problem for main ... and I wasted my time.

Go on, do 5.7.0
but the better way would be 5.6.2 and more to make sure
* old and new bugs are sure eliminated
* mod programmer have time to adjust at least for one longer stable version 5.6.9 maybe and take a break from all this changelogs, they have to find out themself

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

I suggest Festus to just start from first minetest-c55 build and slowly fix bugs until it's perfect. Let him play his minetest-f1965 0.0.751
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

We can finish this ... go for 5.7.0
and just look reality and check
* server running with 5.6.x yet 100 of 400+ (and only 8 from the top 30 = THE others KNOW why not yet)
* gamer in 5.x 152 (as shown now 272 where 120 are MultiCraft)
and ask yourself why ? ... down from 1291 (unproven max ONLY MT 5.x and 0.4.x) to not even 500 max 5.x now

enjoy your way, ...

mieu12
In-game: mieu12

by mieu12 » Post

Festus is kind of right. The only right thing is how 5.1 actually more lags more than other 5.0 versions in the series. But a newer bug fix update is always better (usually). And lets not argue so much :)

ivanssalt
GitHub: ivanssalt
IRC: chertila
In-game: DeeFFRed

by ivanssalt » Post

Hi all. I wanted to say about the bugs in MTG 5.6.1 that are bothering me. 1) When I hit a tree with my hand in survival, the sound "dig_choppy" is made. This is a bug because the rule of thumb is that the sound should be "dig_oddly_breakable_by_hand", not "dig_choppy". And I wanted to say that this bug has started since release 5.5.0
2) During the game, the clouds move forward, but with a slight offset. That is not directly. And it's strange. There was no such thing in older releases (Example: in 0.4.17 or 5.0.0)

I want these bugs to be fixed at least after the new release of the MTG.
Attachments
screenshot_20221203_083925.png
screenshot_20221203_083925.png (382.44 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
screenshot_20221113_093832.png
screenshot_20221113_093832.png (656.24 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

ivanssalt wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 09:47
2) During the game, the clouds move forward, but with a slight offset. That is not directly. And it's strange. There was no such thing in older releases (Example: in 0.4.17 or 5.0.0)
Actually, this is a feature. Every time you enter the game, it randomly chooses the amount of clouds, how high they are, and the speed and direction with which they move. The idea is, I think, to make it appear like the weather is changing.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 19:26
Actually, this is a feature. Every time you enter the game, it randomly chooses the amount of clouds, how high they are, and the speed and direction with which they move. The idea is, I think, to make it appear like the weather is changing.
Flickering clouds is a feature too? Like, when you play the game and suddenly the sky just reloads and clouds are different... feels really weird, even after years of playing ._.
Maybe reloading everything EXCEPT clouds and their highness while playing? It'll look like wind is changing, not just some bug with sky (if it isn't actual bug, of course)
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

ivanssalt
GitHub: ivanssalt
IRC: chertila
In-game: DeeFFRed

by ivanssalt » Post

Okay, if this problem might be difficult to solve, then what about the bug with the "dig_choppy" hitting to wood by hand sound instead of the "dig_oddly_breakable_by_hand" sound?

Zweihorn

THANK YOU - Re: Minetest 5.6.1

by Zweihorn » Post

I am quite happy to have the joyful Minetest experience back after I had to drop out for some time.

Just recently I successfully migrated my old MT 5.5.0 server and its worlds to MT 5.6.1 while updating quite a bunch of mods to their most current version respectively. Works like a charm and the user experience with the new client is even better.

Many thanks to the team of developers and all contributors. You did a great job.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

1) When I hit a tree with my hand in survival, the sound "dig_choppy" is made. This is a bug because the rule of thumb is that the sound should be "dig_oddly_breakable_by_hand", not "dig_choppy". And I wanted to say that this bug has started since release 5.5.0
This might be a regression and is possibly not limited to MTG. Please report it on the bugtracker (if you haven't already).
During the game, the clouds move forward, but with a slight offset. That is not directly. And it's strange. There was no such thing in older releases (Example: in 0.4.17 or 5.0.0)
This is such a classic Minetest Game move. Add a random feature that sounds great on paper, but never think it through or—gasp!—actually listen to player feedback, for once. :P

The idea behind the MTG clouds is that the "weather" changes depending on where you are in the world (and maybe time, too?). This sounds nice on paper, but the way how it is being implemented just doesn't look great in practice: Clouds may "randomly" appear out of nowhere, the height of ALL clouds can suddenly change, and if you teleport or respawn, the whole sky changes completely after a few seconds. The biggest annoyance is that everything happens suddenly: There is no smooth transition or fade effect at all. Yes, this is not supported by Minetest, but that's a weak excuse.

Frankly, MTG would be better off to just revert this feature and go back to the drawing board.

snoopy

dynamic clouds - Re: Minetest 5.6.1

by snoopy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 17:29
Frankly, MTG would be better off to just revert this feature and go back to the drawing board.
IMHO the a.m. argument is a little too harsh. An option like smooth light or particles in the client GUI should be sufficient and would allow players to choose between e.g. "static clouds" and "dynamic clouds", if I may.

Furthermore, I'd like to learn the issue behind your argument. Let me ask if there would be a true issue with dynamic clouds. Would there be a "kingdom in the sky" and players walking or even building on top of the static clouds now falling to death when the weather changes?

However, I really like the new dynamic clouds and to me this was worth the effort of the MTG devs. Naturally it may be a surprise at first but one can adapt to it and even enjoy the almost realistic change of clouds in the sky.