2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: !! 1 DAY LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by Desour » Post

website wrote: Working time ends Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM GMT+1
"12:59 AM"
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: !! 1 DAY LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by GreenXenith » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 16:10
That is correct.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 16:23
DS-minetest wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 16:10
That is correct.
Oh, I thought the imperialists would say "00:59 am" Edit: or "12:59 pm", but it's 11:59 pm -> 12:00 am ->12:59 am -> 1:00 am? O_o
Last edited by Desour on Mon Nov 21, 2022 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 17:12
Oh, I thought the imperialists would say "00:59 am". O_o
Your browser is rendering that time based on your time zone. Whether it uses 00 or 12 is based on that

In the UK, we'd say 12:59am in 12 hour time or 00:59 in 24 hour time. Who knows what Americans dothey can't even spaghetti
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

From tomorrow I have time...Oh wait the jam is over. Sorry that I could not join. September to November are as I said so or so heavy months.

GreenXenith

Re: !! 3 HOURS LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by GreenXenith » Post

The 2022 Minetest GAME JAM working period has ENDED!

HOWEVER! You have a 1 hour grace period to get your submissions uploaded/finalized!

Once submissions show up on ContentDB, you are free to begin playing and reviewing submissions! (Or sit back and take a breather after your hard work)

Results in 7 days! https://jam.minetest.net/

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: !! 1 HOUR GRACE PERIOD !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by Wuzzy » Post

My package "Glitch" is still awaiting ContentDB approval, but approval is being withheld, although I believe I followed all the ContentDB rules (@judges and @rubenwardy: see the topic on that package for more). Since the grace period is over, I will NOT make new commits or touch this package, but I believe no changes from my side are neccessary, as I am done, and I followed all the rules. I dispute wsor4035's reason for rejecting the package on ContentDB and I hope someone else will review it to give approval. Thanks for reading.

By the way: I am super HYPED to see the new games, but I am tired now, lol. :-)

EDIT: OK, that was fast. Someone already approved it now. Thanks, anonymous approver. :D

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: !! VOTING PERIOD !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by Blockhead » Post

Phew! I managed to get something in this year but it was a big crunch effort. I spent most of the Game Jam time waiting for inspiration :\. I'm waiting for the flood of games with "Secret" or "Secrets" in the name (like mine lol). Good job to everyone who participated, making a game is not as easy as some think, what with the huge amount of time you have to spend in design, creating media and coding. Making a game on your own (with minimal re-used assets) really requires you to be multi-talented in texture art, 3D modelling and even sound synthesis/production. All I can say is a huge thanks to the Minetest community for making an engine that's so easy to mod (and so quick to reload :).
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

Re: !! VOTING PERIOD !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by MCL » Post

Hi, I'm having issues with getting my package approved.
Rollerozxa is telling me I need to namespace the actual mod names (in mod.conf!) which would completely break the schematic that contains the pre-built map as well as weapons that rely on node detection to work. The game uses hundreds of nodes defined across multiple files and it would be very time consuming to change all of them.

A different package that I am one of the maintainers of was approved with just the directory names namespaced.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 22:38
Rollerozxa is telling me I need to namespace the actual mod names (in mod.conf!) which would completely break the schematic that contains the pre-built map as well as weapons that rely on node detection to work. The game uses hundreds of nodes defined across multiple files and it would be very time consuming to change all of them.
This was already outlined in the jam rules. Following them from the start would have eliminated this issue. You will have to generate some aliases and convert the map, which honestly should only take you 10 or 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.
A different package that I am one of the maintainers of was approved with just the directory names namespaced.
An error on our part, but fairly inconsequential given how few mods are in it. The package will be unapproved post jam.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

I just got a report that our game, Spiraling Down, crashes immediately on Windows due to reading binary files (PNGs) in text file mode (it works fine on Linux, because Linux for the most part doesn't distinguish binary/text files in the first place and performs no dumb CRLF line feed normalization like Winders; unfortunately we only tested on Linux). I have pushed a commit that fixes the issue (it's a one char diff), but obviously it's post-submission. The fix for everyone wanting to play on Windows thus is to install Linux.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

So, I've played all the visible game jam entries now. Was fun as last year. :-) I still need to write my reviews for every submission, and this takes a lot of time. I won't comment on the submissions right now, to not influence reviews. Just to be clear, I am allowed to submit them, right? If not, I wait after the event is over. I'm not sure if participants are allowed to rate each other.

I heard there are still 2 game jam entires pending ContentDB approval, and the voting clock keeps ticking. :-( I hope this issue will get resolved before the time runs out, I still want to be allowed to play them!
For schematics, I think using the replacement table of place_schematic should do the trick, you don't actually need to change the schematic itself. It works like aliases, but for schematics. Also, with some good coding or tools, you might automate most of the name replacements.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Many of the reviews up to this point on game jam games have been by other participants.

No one has said anything against that yet.

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 03:01
I heard there are still 2 game jam entires pending ContentDB approval, and the voting clock keeps ticking. :-( I hope this issue will get resolved before the time runs out, I still want to be allowed to play them!
Yes, one of them has been approved now but we're waiting on the author to fix modname conflicts on the second. I think I'm allowed to link to their Git repo if anyone wants to play it and prepare a review for when it goes up on ContentDB.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

I think my favorite submission is the jam artwork, who made that? The lofi girl - like banner artwork? kudos!
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

runs

Re: !! RESULTS SOON !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by runs » Post

Results? In England is almost 00:00h of 1 december.

GreenXenith

Re: !! RESULTS ARE IN !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by GreenXenith » Post

Results are in! Check the top post!

We also have a survey this year! Please take a few minutes to fill it out to tell us how we can improve!
https://jam.minetest.net/2022/survey
Komodo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 17:54
I think my favorite submission is the jam artwork, who made that? The lofi girl - like banner artwork? kudos!
So far I have been in charge of making the banners. Glad you like it!
runs wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 22:02
Results? In England is almost 00:00h of 1 december.
Yes, yes, I know... I'm a few hours late! Getting the data together was complicated. But we are here now!

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: !! RESULTS ARE IN !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by CalebJ » Post

Congratulations to Wuzzy, Glitch was fantastic, can't imagine how much work that took.
Congrats also to iarbet and NathanS- fully enjoyed their games, though Piranesi was challenging to play because of the crashes, but still a very thoughtful puzzle :-) (I did cheat and go to the source, admittedly ...)
Congrats to everyone else who participated but did not win a prize, especially Warr and MisterE, enjoyed those puzzles a lot and 2nd and 3rd for those games was very well deserved.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thank you, thank you! :D

I had to lie if I would say I am not proud of this victory. But I am proud. :-)

I have worked really hard and tried the best I could do in 3 weeks. I had good days, and I had bad days, but in the end, it was worth it. :D Time management is very important.

Like last year, I will soon post a detailed "making-of" for my game for those who are interested (and I have a lot to tell) here.

About Glitch itself: I do have a few further plans with Glitch post-jam, but not very big plans. I don't consider Glitch to be truly complete yet, but it's close. Expect to see a few more levels, secrets, story, bugfixes (especially about the controls!), etc. One community reviewer asked me already about a "Glitch 2". I feel flattered, but I haven't thought about that yet.

The best part of this game jam was clearly playing all the other games, that was very fun. :-) So thanks for alll the hard work. Klots was a very strong game entry, good work! Piranesi also stood out, even if unstable for now. I am looking forward to post-jam versions of the games.

Thanks for everything!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I didn't write any reviews, but I'm really glad Glitch won. I had a blast playing it. It had a fun story, nice graphics and music, and simple but cleverly-used abilities (even if powerslide knocked me off the cliff half the time!). All in all, a very fun and polished experience. Congrats, Wuzzy!
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

mtvisitor
IRC: mtvisitor
In-game: mtvisitor

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$$$]

by mtvisitor » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:14
It's really only meant as joke!
2021:
Guys, let us make a jam for fun
2022:
Guys, get money if you win jam
2023:
Guys, every Participant get money
2024:
Guys, pay to get a Participant, the developer also need their money for this great jams. Let us say 5$
2025:
Guys, pay to get a Participant and if you will not be a Participant you aren't anymore allowed to play minetest.(Or you pay 20$). Participation fee: 15$
Congratulations to the Results of 2022 Minetest Game Jam. 🤝
Crane Zhou | My mt. world, my mt. dream | No money, no happy.