2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by GreenXenith » Post

2022 Minetest GAME JAM Results

1st place: Glitch by Wuzzy ($150)
2nd place: Piranesi by iarbat/PiDemon ($100)
3rd place: The secret story of spacetravel by Nathan Salapat ($50)

Community Winner: SlideSpace by MisterE
(Community Winner is the highest ranking community-voted package that is not a podium winner)[cite]

CONGRATULATIONS to the winners, and to everyone that made an awesome game! Be sure to continue developing and perfecting your games!

WHAT DID YOU THINK? We have a post-jam survey this year! Please take a few minutes to fill it out to let us know how we can improve!
https://jam.minetest.net/2022/survey

A very detailed breakdown (including community rankings, review breakdowns, etc) can be found here (Google Sheet).
This will be available in the data repository soon.

Prize winners should get in contact with GreenXenith when possible.

Complete rankings:

The Minetest GAME JAM is BACK for 2022!

We are trying out an 11-month schedule for the convenience of those that may not be able to participate during certain months!

Once again you will have the opportunity to compete and sharpen your gamedev skills for the chance at some cash prizes! And hopefully have some fun too...

Theme

SPACE | SECRETS | STORY

You only have to use one of these in your game, but it is encouraged to use more. Using more of the themes and/or applying them in a clever way will likely earn you a higher score (and a cooler game!)

Info Site

https://jam.minetest.net/

What do I do?

Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to create a game in 3 weeks using the Minetest Engine following a theme (to be announced).

Check out some submissions from the last jam for some examples!

When do I do it?

(All times are UTC)
  • The jam starts Tuesday, November 1st @00:00
  • You have until Monday, November 21st @23:59 to make your game
  • Rating will run until Monday, November 28th @23:59
  • Results will be announced some time Wednesday, November 30th

How do I do it?

Super easy! Make a Minetest game using the announced theme and submit it to the Content Database before the deadline using the Jam / Game 2022 tag.

Want some help? Get a team together to spread the load! Choose one person to submit the game and list all your team members.

Note, only the most recent submission will be counted for each individual. You could be on multiple teams and/or by yourself if you want to make more games (good luck...)

The theme consists of 3 words and will be announced when the jam starts. The ContentDB tag will also become available.

Rules

• Make your game within the timeframe
    • You should build your game essentially from scratch, or a very minimal base
    • You may use third-party libraries (we recommend using git submodules) and assets, provided you document and properly attribute them
  • Your game must comply with ContentDB Policies and be tagged appropriately
  • Your game must be compatible with the current stable version at the start of the jam (Nov. 1st, 5.6.1)
  • Games should follow the prefix_modname style for mod names (prefix being the game name, some variation thereof, or whatever. libraries exempt)

Community Voting and Judge Scoring

This time the top 3 placing winners will be determined through judge scoring only. A Community Winner will be chosen by you (you!) through ContentDB reviews.

Your Job

Begin playing other games on November 22nd and leave a ContentDB review. This will contribute to each package's community score.

Our Job

A panel of judges will once again score each package. They will score each package out of 10 points however they please, but you can generally expect them to look for:
  • Gameplay: How intuitive and enjoyable is your gameplay? Is it a fulfilling experience? Is there a clear goal or ending?
  • Innovation: What makes your game unique? Do you have emergent mechanics or clever gameplay?
  • Content: Is your game well-polished or packed with stuff to do? Is the art and sound consistent and cohesive?
  • Theme: How well does your game utilize the theme(s)? Did you apply the theme(s) in a clever way?
Another Bonus percentage will be awared for meeting criteria on the "Bonus" Rubric. Not completing these is a huge disadvantage.
  • Your game should be stable enough to complete the intended goal (+5)
  • Your game works out of the box (no external applications or out-of-game configuration) (+3)
  • Your game has a public git repository (+2)
Your game will be scored out of 20 total points.
Judge scores will be weighted to 90% of the score, with bonus percent making up the rest.
This was a post-deadline reversion (to the original system) once I realized the new bonus system was stupid.

What will I win?

Another sweet product to put on your dev portfolio! And some cash I guess...

This time the prize pool will be capped at $600. Contributions beyond this point will be politely declined. The current total will remain private.

The top 3 winners will receive 1/2, 1/3, and 1/6 of the prize pool for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, respectively. Winners will be contacted for payment destination (PayPal account, charity, or other participant).

The top 3 winners and the Community Winner submissions will also be promoted on the ContentDB front page!

PayPal is still required to receive prize funds. This is for international and accessibility reasons. Alternatives may be suggested at payout, but will only be used at handler's convenience. Crypto will not be considered.

For more details about prize handling (ties, teams, etc.) see full details.

The prize pool is once again funded by community contributions. Those that wish to contribute should contact GreenXenith via forum, Discord @ GreenXenith#3232, or Reddit.

Disclaimer

By participating and/or contributing, you understand and accept that all involved funds will be aggregated and distributed by a private third-party (GreenXenith) through a proprietary third-party service (PayPal) to you (the contestant) or the destination of your choice, at the complete discretion of the private handler (GreenXenith).

Who are the Judges

• ExeVirus
  • GreenXenith
  • Krock
  • MisterE
  • rubenwardy
  • Warr1024
  • x2048
If you were a judge previously and are interested again, please contact GreenXenith.

Who is Running this Show?

Me (GreenXenith) with input and assistance from the Minetest Discord staff and a few Minetest community members (rubenwardy, Warr1024, MisterE, and others).

Check out the planning document first if you have questions. Otherwise, feel free to ask here or on any of the relevant platforms.

A copy of this page is held in the data repository. All relevant documents, details, and other information are in this repository.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Sat Feb 04, 2023 23:06, edited 25 times in total.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$$$]

by LMD » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 06:59
    • You may use third-party libraries (we recommend using git submodules) and assets, provided you document and properly attribute them
Would I be allowed to use the libraries (modlib in particular) I have written so far (all of which are publicly available)?
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

LMD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:50
GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 06:59
Would I be allowed to use the libraries (modlib in particular) I have written so far (all of which are publicly available)?
I'm pretty sure that is allowed. It would be unfair to let everyone else use a library, but not the author. As long as they library is freely available now, you can use it. The gameplay itself has to be made within the timeframe.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

Is arena_lib allowed?

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 14:00
Is arena_lib allowed?
yes, it is a library. you will have to set it up so that your game works as a game, and out of the box, though. That means having a mod place a sign and an arena automatically.

If I were to have made wormball for this gamejam, then, I would make the wormball mod, then put it into a game with arena_lib. I would include a mod that adds a few nodes such as walls and decoration. (We cannot use minetest game as a base this time, I think). then I would have a mod in the game that, in a singlenode world, will place an arena, create the arena with arenalib, set it up, place the sign, and enable it. Another mod in the game will put the player in front of the sign when he joins.

talamh

by talamh » Post

Was the game jam announced elsewhere before being announced on the forums?

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

talamh wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 14:53
This was the first announcement. Other announcements were just now made and more will be made today.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

talamh

by talamh » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 15:25
talamh wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 14:53
This was the first announcement. Other announcements were just now made and more will be made today.
Just odd that someone was on reddit a few days ago saying they had to get a game finished in the same time period as the unannounced game jam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minetest/comme ... l_the_end/

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Great surprise! However, too late. A few days ago, a game jam was already announced, which found full rejection in the community. I find that unfair! Especially that this game jam will have acceptance while the other was rejected to be officially supported. I think there will be few here who will want to make a game and then make another game + engine.
Another things is why a 11-month and not 12-month wait for new jam.

On the other hand, I was expecting this jam and really should have everyone. And I've already made plans for the next one, which is this one

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 16:04
Great surprise! However, too late. A few days ago, a game jam was already announced, which found full rejection in the community. I find that unfair! Especially that this game jam will have acceptance while the other was rejected to be officially supported. I think there will be few here who will want to make a game and then make another game + engine.

On the other hand, I was expecting this jam and really should have everyone. And I've already made plans for the next one, which is this one
We only have the resources to officially promote one game jam. This one, started last year, was first, so it is the one that is “official”. Also, we tend to not promote things that involve forking the engine, because then it is no longer Minetest. That is why the other jam did not recieve support. The reason for 11 months was explained in the post.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Great surprise! However, too late
The official game jam was organised by multiple people months in advance, after the success of the first game jam. People are welcome to make unofficial competitions, but they can't expect us to not do the official jam. Also, very few modders will be able to make meaningful changes to the engine, requiring that in a game jam will heavily limit pariticipation
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Didn't knwoed it was planed months before. And yeah i forgot the other reasons.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Great surprise! However, too late.
No. More than one week in advance is reasonably early.
debiankaios wrote:
A few days ago, a game jam was already announced, which found full rejection in the community. I find that unfair! Especially that this game jam will have acceptance while the other was rejected to be officially supported.
It is not unfair. The other jam was low effort and thus rejected. No one is going to pour effort into a jam I consider insignificant. The jam that "was already announced" definitely was low effort and thus rightfully considered insignificant.

This jam? I fail to take that seriously. Quoting the announcement:
so cold,

sooo cooollldddd !!!

maybe warm up next to your desktop and make some games ?

minetest is a free/open source 3d game engine which uses easy-to-use coding language lua for modifications and most of engine

oftenly and unofficially it's also known as "opensource minecraft clone" because basic games can be created even without coding

although... you think that a game jam in which you can start working on a game right now is that easy?

no. imagine that your modifying this engine just to make your game... yes, you heard it right, to win - minetest engine should be modified...

you can redesign menus, change default settings, disable chat or even just copy only 3d engine with few smaller scripts... its up to you but please, dont come with one mod/modpack/gamepack or map

ARE YOU UP TO THIS CHALLENGE?

join button is above :)

note - this game jam is not official. official creators of minetest declined to take part in it over irc channels.
Sorry to say this, but even the announcement is low effort.
Improper typography, hardly any structure or formatting,
no good theme or idea, no poster, caps. And not to border on an ad hominem here, but the organizer(s) of the jam (hacknorris) has not managed to build up any significant reputation in this community yet (for another reason as to why this "official" jam is rightfully seen as more significant); I would not want them to be the one to judge my game.

And most importantly: Money talks. This jam puts its money where its mouth is. The other jam seemed to have nothing but hot air behind it.
debiankaios wrote:
I think there will be few here who will want to make a game and then make another game + engine.
I doubt that there will anyone (besides you apparently?) partaking in the unofficial "jam" for reasons I have outlined on Matrix already:
minetest is a free/open source 3d game engine which uses easy-to-use coding language lua for modifications and most of engine
No, Minetest uses C++ for most of the engine (unfortunately IMO, because it (1) misses out on some LuaJIT speedups this way and (2) severely increases the maintenance effort).
oftenly and unofficially it's also known as "opensource minecraft clone" because basic games can be created even without coding
What no, you should make it explicit that Minetest strives to be its own voxel game engine and not an open source MC clone (that's the job of the MineClones)
no. imagine that your modifying this engine just to make your game... yes, you heard it right, to win - minetest engine should be modified...
Interesting idea, but haha no lol.
you can redesign menus, change default settings, disable chat or even just copy only 3d engine with few smaller scripts... its up to you but please, dont come with one mod/modpack/gamepack or map
Meh, is this a game jam or a "fix our broken engine & main menu" jam? Actual engine work is a PITA and even mainmenu work is painful (the mainmenu scripts are pretty dated by now).
debiankaios wrote:
Please re-read the announcement carefully.
what
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Lusik
In-game: Lusik

by Lusik » Post

Hey! Can I use textures and formspecs which I made before the start of development? I understand that we can not use the code that was made before, but does this apply to other products

runs

by runs » Post

JAM Wars Hahaha

Anyway Samantha is happy, the previous Game Jam was in December. But this year in December are the SAMMY AWARDS, it would be impossible to celebrate it -the game jam- because it would be overshadowed by the Sammy Awards. That's just as well.

runs

by runs » Post

It should always be like this, in November the Game jam and in December the SAMMY AWARDS.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

LMD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 18:51
debiankaios wrote:
Great surprise! However, too late.
No. More than one week in advance is reasonably early.
That was in reference to the previous post for a jam. But i think But now that you say it, I would never make a game if I had it in so little time to plan. I make the game for fun on the side. More about that in a moment.
LMD wrote:
Improper typography, hardly any structure or formatting,
no good theme or idea, no poster, caps. And not to border on an ad hominem here, but the organizer(s) of the jam (hacknorris) has not managed to build up any significant reputation in this community yet (for another reason as to why this "official" jam is rightfully seen as more significant); I would not want them to be the one to judge my game.
As I said, I took it back. But I find it stupid how you are so unfriendly to new members. Also a new server is rejected by the community and has the highest player numbers (and I see new players everywhere). You used to be happy about everything that brings minetest just a little attention, now that has changed.
LMD wrote:
And most importantly: Money talks. This jam puts its money where its mouth is. The other jam seemed to have nothing but hot air behind it.
I played mientest becuase it's costfree not because it is FOSS. Because it's non-Capital. I had played another game if it had been costfree and better then minetest_game. But that's another problem.
LMD wrote:
debiankaios wrote:
Please re-read the announcement carefully.
My bad
LMD wrote:
what
Forget this, to bad english

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

The cover image raises so many questions, the more you look at it, the stranger they get. Why is it so low-res? Why does it look like the thumbnail of one of those trashy YouTube videos that are just a still image with some shitty MIDI music in the background? Why is there a dungeon master on the shelf? Why is the laptop PC pink? All those questions will keep me awake for weeks.

Another thing I am concerned about is the theme. Who thought it would be a good idea to force people to follow a theme? What do you think you're going to achieve by doing so? I really wanted to submit my Insane Protestor game to this year's jam; I've been carefully planning all the mechanics and features since December of last year just for you to completely RUIN my idea!
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 20:47
That was in reference to the previous post for a jam. But i think But now that you say it, I would never make a game if I had it in so little time to plan. I make the game for fun on the side. More about that in a moment.
In some other game jams, people have 72 hours to come up the idea and create the entire thing. Ludum Dare Compos give you 48 hours. 3 weeks is enough time to come up with an idea and make it

Remember that it's not the point to make a polished and huge game. It's to make a game within the time limit, warts and all. Restriction leads to creativity
MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 20:50
Why is it so low-res? Why is there a dungeon master on the shelf? Why is the laptop PC pink?
Because it's pixel art. Because this is Minetest. Because why not
MCL wrote:
Another thing I am concerned about is the theme. Who thought it would be a good idea to force people to follow a theme? What do you think you're going to achieve by doing so? I really wanted to submit my Insane Protestor game to this year's jam; I've been carefully planning all the mechanics and features since December of last year just for you to completely RUIN my idea!
Restrictions lead to creativity. Themes also help come up with ideas. Also, you don't have to follow the theme - if you don't, you'll just get a low mark in "theme".
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 20:51
debiankaios wrote:
In some other game jams, people have 72 hours to come up the idea and create the entire thing. Ludum Dare Compos give you 48 hours. 3 weeks is enough time to come up with an idea and make it

Remember that it's not the point to make a polished and huge game. It's to make a game within the time limit, warts and all. Restriction leads to creativity
Yeah. Unlike this jam, you have 3 days straight with no other distractions. I'll have maybe an hour per day, so I'll have maybe 24 hours. I have more to do and couldn't reserve the November days, but I did reserve the December days. Great...
MCL wrote:
Wait, I'm just seeing this now. Are you serious about a given theme? I only had two ideas for this jam, one was Mindustry in 3D which is no longer possible because there is already work on it. But how should I implement my theme if I get one given!?

Otherwise: I have become a bit too angry. Forgive me. Have not looked at that in more detail, I just wanted to show you that maybe you should also pay attention to the smaller.

runs

by runs » Post

I find the dollar symbol in the post inelegant. A vulgar claim. It seems that people should only participate to get some money. I think that the monetary prize should be accessory, otherwise the desire to participate, have fun and collaborate in the Minetets community.

MCL

by MCL » Post

runs wrote:
It should always be like this, in November the Game jam and in December the SAMMY AWARDS.
As much as I love THE SAMMY AWARDZ, I really dislike GreenXenith's decision to host the jam in November instead of December because last year in December at I got a few days off of work but I won't get any in November and that is just sad.
runs wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:03
I find the dollar symbol in the post inelegant. A vulgar claim. It seems that people should only participate to get some money. I think that the monetary prize should be accessory, otherwise the desire to participate, have fun and collaborate in the Minetets community.
And it's not just one dollar sign... There are three!

MCL

by MCL » Post

And what even is 00:00? It's not like nobody with the exception of a few computer enthusiasts will know what that means...

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

It's really only meant as joke!
2021:
Guys, let us make a jam for fun
2022:
Guys, get money if you win jam
2023:
Guys, every Participant get money
2024:
Guys, pay to get a Participant, the developer also need their money for this great jams. Let us say 5$
2025:
Guys, pay to get a Participant and if you will not be a Participant you aren't anymore allowed to play minetest.(Or you pay 20$). Participation fee: 15$

MCL

by MCL » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:00

Wait, I'm just seeing this now. Are you serious about a given theme?
See Rubenwardy's reply to my post.