2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

mothnox
GitHub: mothnox

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$$$]

by mothnox » Post

It's quite common for game jams to provide a theme. I believe it's generally expected that you'll start planning your game once the theme is announced, not months in advance, though there's nothing stopping you from using ideas that you've had before that in your jam entry.

As for some details of the jam changing, this is only the second official Minetest game jam, isn't it? So it's not like it's been standardized or such, and things are still being figured out. When the previous jam was announced, it hadn't even been determined if there would be any future jams at all. While it's alright to be disappointed, it's probably best not to plan so far in advance on something that isn't guaranteed.

On a side note, I don't think it's very nice to insult the art like that. Somebody made that (most likely specifically for this jam), and what you said was pretty mean to the artist, regardless of whether you personally like the art.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Lusik wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 19:52
Hey! Can I use textures and formspecs which I made before the start of development? I understand that we can not use the code that was made before, but does this apply to other products
textures: yes, but you have to declare that the textures were not made during the jam, because that may affect scoring.

formspecs: hard to say. I'll let another organizer answer that.

runs

by runs » Post

I would like the poster art with some Minetest reference in it.

But it is an impressive artwork without any doubt.

runs

by runs » Post

Probably I will participate. Depending if theme is interesting or not.

My game will be probably based in The SamZ. A spin-off for the theme. I mean, not The SamZ, but using its infrastructure.

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

I'm so happy to see this happening again, but I'm completely against the fact that developing a free software game is awarded with just two points (the lowest bonus of it all). For proprietary code/content I'd expect either a ban from the competition, or at least a big penalty, since we're talking about Minetest, something that punishes proprietary content in the first place; instead, the current rule is barely a scratch that gives more importance to the gameplay (5 points) than to the philosophy behind the engine itself (2 points). However, if projects like Minetest aren't the first to push for free software, who should be? If we start to treat it like an extra, we're demeaning its value and start passing the message that, in the end, it's not that important. When it's literally the reason why this project still exists and can compete against titles like Minecraft.

Please rethink that rule

mothnox
GitHub: mothnox

by mothnox » Post

Perhaps also worth noting, a game having a public git repo doesn't necessarily mean that it's free software, and the lack of one also doesn't necessarily mean that it's not. Since most mods are entirely lua-based, with a few exceptions (specifically mods with trusted mods permissions that load other programs), their source code is the mod. As a result, most mods are capable of complying with most free software licenses even without a git repo. On the other hand, a mod, even with a git repo, can specify a propriety license.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

Is looking up code fine while participating in the game jam? Of course API is great, every lib has at least brief description of <thing>, but sometimes I (and probably not me alone) need examples to understand how <thing> will work.
Not copy-pasting that code of course, but having an example on hands (which may give you some inspiration).
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

rudzik8 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 01:12
Is looking up code fine while participating in the game jam? Of course API is great, every lib has at least brief description of <thing>, but sometimes I (and probably not me alone) need examples to understand how <thing> will work.
Not copy-pasting that code of course, but having an example on hands (which may give you some inspiration).
yes, of course. just like any other project that deos not violate copyright. Read, understand, reimplement.

rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 02:26
yes, of course. just like any other project that deos not violate copyright. Read, understand, reimplement.
Okay!

Another question: should modnames strictly follow that gamename_modname syntax or can developers shorten game name (for example, if the game is called Foobar Game, then can they name mods fbg_modname?)
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Oooh, the first picture does have a dungeon master stuffed animal in it! That makes me happy. The whole picture's really nice, TBH. Especially the soft colors.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Lusik
In-game: Lusik

by Lusik » Post

Most of you are probably familiar with the library "controls". Its use, as I understand it, is allowed. But there are several problems with it. I wrote an alternative library, removing bugs and adding functionality, but it is not made available to the public, except for included in two projects that are on github. Can I use it?

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 20:50
Another thing I am concerned about is the theme. Who thought it would be a good idea to force people to follow a theme? What do you think you're going to achieve by doing so? I really wanted to submit my Insane Protestor game to this year's jam; I've been carefully planning all the mechanics and features since December of last year just for you to completely RUIN my idea!
debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:00
Wait, I'm just seeing this now. Are you serious about a given theme? I only had two ideas for this jam, one was Mindustry in 3D which is no longer possible because there is already work on it. But how should I implement my theme if I get one given!?
If you do not wish to integrate one of three (three!) theme options into any of your game ideas, feel free to ignore the themes and deal with the potential score reduction, or just don't participate. Simple.

Themes are common in game jams, and as others have said, constraints foster creativity. If you feel stifled, I urge you to open your mind to new possibilities.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:03
I find the dollar symbol in the post inelegant. A vulgar claim. It seems that people should only participate to get some money. I think that the monetary prize should be accessory, otherwise the desire to participate, have fun and collaborate in the Minetets community.
I agree that monetary prizes should not be the main motivator for events like this, which is why I always place the cash prizes last when speaking. However, in order to get substantial results from such a small community (compared to something like Ludum Dare) I have to put another motivator in place.

You may (or may not) have noticed the prize cap this year. It is lower than last year's prize pool total. Ideally at some point money will be an accessory to the jam and there will be enough people participating for other reasons that we will not need to rely on the monetary prize.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 21:06
I really dislike GreenXenith's decision to host the jam in November instead of December because last year in December at I got a few days off of work but I won't get any in November and that is just sad.
I can't please everyone. But I can attempt to please a larger portion on average, which is why we are trying the offset schedule. Please note: Trying. If people prefer it, we could move back to December-only. That is not up to you or me alone, though.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Zughy wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 22:28
I'm so happy to see this happening again, but I'm completely against the fact that developing a free software game is awarded with just two points (the lowest bonus of it all). For proprietary code/content I'd expect either a ban from the competition, or at least a big penalty, since we're talking about Minetest, something that punishes proprietary content in the first place; instead, the current rule is barely a scratch that gives more importance to the gameplay (5 points) than to the philosophy behind the engine itself (2 points). However, if projects like Minetest aren't the first to push for free software, who should be? If we start to treat it like an extra, we're demeaning its value and start passing the message that, in the end, it's not that important. When it's literally the reason why this project still exists and can compete against titles like Minecraft.

Please rethink that rule
The point value will stay; It is thought out well enough. Submissions must already follow ContentDB policy, which takes care of most proprietary content. I absolutely will not restrict submissions further than this. The goal here is for people to make fun games.

The points are prioritized from a game development standpoint. The highest priority is for a game to function. I could not care less if a game is open source, proprietary, or nonfree if it doesn't function. Next is ease-of-use for the end user. Points for a git repository are least prioritized because the ContentDB already provides this motivation. It's mostly just to make the source easier to access and make it easier to clone (for those of us that don't use the content browser).

Feel free to not participate if you feel that content allowed on ContentDB does not meet your moral standards.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

rudzik8 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 02:56
Another question: should modnames strictly follow that gamename_modname syntax or can developers shorten game name (for example, if the game is called Foobar Game, then can they name mods fbg_modname?)
Ah, yes this may have been ambiguous.
It can be whatever prefix you want as long as you use it for all your mods (libraries exempt). Obviously it should be a prefix relevant to your game, which usually takes the form of its name or a short version of it.
Lusik wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 04:27
Most of you are probably familiar with the library "controls". Its use, as I understand it, is allowed. But there are several problems with it. I wrote an alternative library, removing bugs and adding functionality, but it is not made available to the public, except for included in two projects that are on github. Can I use it?
I would say that fits within the spirit of the rule. I'm certainly not going to dock any points for using boilerplate or frameworks.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 20:50
The cover image raises so many questions, the more you look at it, the stranger they get. Why is it so low-res? Why does it look like the thumbnail of one of those trashy YouTube videos that are just a still image with some shitty MIDI music in the background? Why is there a dungeon master on the shelf? Why is the laptop PC pink? All those questions will keep me awake for weeks.
runs wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 22:21
I would like the poster art with some Minetest reference in it.

But it is an impressive artwork without any doubt.
v-rob wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 03:09
Oooh, the first picture does have a dungeon master stuffed animal in it! That makes me happy. The whole picture's really nice, TBH. Especially the soft colors.
Art is subjective. But I'm glad some people enjoy it :)
And there are many more references than just the dungeon master ;D

rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:25
<...> for all your mods (libraries exempt).
Does it mean that I cannot use gamename_modname for libraries? Or does it mean that libs can be named whatever author wants to?

P.S. It's not like I'm already doing a game for the jam (after all there aren't any themes specified yet), just making some notes and plans in my brain.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:29
Art is subjective. But I'm glad some people enjoy it :)
And there are many more references than just the dungeon master ;D
The person sitting at the laptop PC kind of looks like Sam, there's a Lua logo on the table, there's also something that appears to be a Mese node on the shelf, and I'm not sure if it's a Minetest reference but the poster on the wall looks familiar...
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:02
I'm not sure if it's a Minetest reference but the poster on the wall looks familiar...
Oerkki maybe?..

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

there are also three differently coloured books lying stacked on top of eachother... WinRAR reference :D

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

I also see something on the shelf that looks similar to a coral in Minetest

GoodClover
GitHub: GoodClover
In-game: olive

by GoodClover » Post

Will the the theme be announced when the jam starts or some point earlier?
//goodclover.xyzMods • Catch me on the Discord

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:22
I could not care less if a game is open source, proprietary, or nonfree if it doesn't function.
However, wouldn't you care less if a game is great, yet proprietary? Would you be happy to give $300 to some super fun yet proprietary game, instead of incentivising free software distribution? Personally, if I were a judge, I'd refuse to run any proprietary code on my machine if we're talking about a contest revolving around a free engine
GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:22
Feel free to not participate if you feel that content allowed on ContentDB does not meet your moral standards.
This was definitely unnecessary

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

rudzik8 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:28
GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:25
<...> for all your mods (libraries exempt).
Does it mean that I cannot use gamename_modname for libraries? Or does it mean that libs can be named whatever author wants to?
Third party libraries do not need to be prefixed, but they must follow ContentDB right to a name policies.
GoodClover wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 13:10
Will the the theme be announced when the jam starts or some point earlier?
Please refer to the top post. The theme words will be announced at the start of the jam.