GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$$$]

by GreenXenith » Post

Zughy wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 15:40
GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 05:22
I could not care less if a game is open source, proprietary, or nonfree if it doesn't function.
However, wouldn't you care less if a game is great, yet proprietary? Would you be happy to give $300 to some super fun yet proprietary game, instead of incentivising free software distribution? Personally, if I were a judge, I'd refuse to run any proprietary code on my machine if we're talking about a contest revolving around a free engine
This discussion is moot. Once again, ContentDB already disqualifies pretty much all proprietary content.
Zughy wrote:
GreenXenith wrote:
Feel free to not participate if you feel that content allowed on ContentDB does not meet your moral standards.
This was definitely unnecessary
Many things are. Please forgive my reaction to an unnecessary argument.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 16:14
Once again, ContentDB already disqualifies pretty much all proprietary content.
My misunderstanding originated from this entry from last year => https://content.minetest.net/packages/J ... vethedays/, where I thought that "proprietary" meant fully proprietary as there is no "source" button (but it actually refers to the VCS repository). I now realise that the only proprietary license CDB allows is CC-BY-SA-NC. Which I still don't agree upon, but it's way less worse than a full proprietary game
GreenXenith wrote:
Many things are. Please forgive my reaction to an unnecessary argument.
Spare me this passive-aggressive shit, thanks

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Quick question: Are we (the participants) allowed to use pre-made mods as long as we use them for decoration only? I wanted to include a modified version of xdecor and terumetal that removes all the functionality from the added nodes because my game will take place in a city environment and making all the textures from scratch would take too much time. Is it fine for me to do that as long as the mods are not central to the gameplay?
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 21:49
Quick question: Are we (the participants) allowed to use pre-made mods as long as we use them for decoration only? I wanted to include a modified version of xdecor and terumetal that removes all the functionality from the added nodes because my game will take place in a city environment and making all the textures from scratch would take too much time. Is it fine for me to do that as long as the mods are not central to the gameplay?
I would consider that to be within the spirit of pre-made assets as long as you thoroughly document attributions and licenses.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 16:10
Third party libraries do not need to be prefixed, but they must follow ContentDB right to a name policies.
Okay, I have no more questions for now.

Good luck to everyone else who are planning to participate in this Jam! I'll be here only for interest because I won't get any money (PayPal is blocked in Russia and I respect this PayPal's decision).

Don't forget to check the time on UTC+0: https://time.is/UTC
Less than a week before it starts!
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

I will also participate without a cash prize because I am doing this for fun. I'm sure others will be happy to receive cash prizes as well.

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

LMD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 18:51
debiankaios wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 16:04
Great surprise! However, too late.
No. More than one week in advance is reasonably early.
debiankaios wrote:
A few days ago, a game jam was already announced, which found full rejection in the community. I find that unfair! Especially that this game jam will have acceptance while the other was rejected to be officially supported.
It is not unfair. The other jam was low effort and thus rejected. No one is going to pour effort into a jam I consider insignificant. The jam that "was already announced" definitely was low effort and thus rightfully considered insignificant.

This jam? I fail to take that seriously. Quoting the announcement:
so cold,

sooo cooollldddd !!!

maybe warm up next to your desktop and make some games ?

minetest is a free/open source 3d game engine which uses easy-to-use coding language lua for modifications and most of engine

oftenly and unofficially it's also known as "opensource minecraft clone" because basic games can be created even without coding

although... you think that a game jam in which you can start working on a game right now is that easy?

no. imagine that your modifying this engine just to make your game... yes, you heard it right, to win - minetest engine should be modified...

you can redesign menus, change default settings, disable chat or even just copy only 3d engine with few smaller scripts... its up to you but please, dont come with one mod/modpack/gamepack or map

ARE YOU UP TO THIS CHALLENGE?

join button is above :)

note - this game jam is not official. official creators of minetest declined to take part in it over irc channels.
Sorry to say this, but even the announcement is low effort.
Improper typography, hardly any structure or formatting,
no good theme or idea, no poster, caps. And not to border on an ad hominem here, but the organizer(s) of the jam (hacknorris) has not managed to build up any significant reputation in this community yet (for another reason as to why this "official" jam is rightfully seen as more significant); I would not want them to be the one to judge my game.

And most importantly: Money talks. This jam puts its money where its mouth is. The other jam seemed to have nothing but hot air behind it.
debiankaios wrote:
I think there will be few here who will want to make a game and then make another game + engine.
I doubt that there will anyone (besides you apparently?) partaking in the unofficial "jam" for reasons I have outlined on Matrix already:
minetest is a free/open source 3d game engine which uses easy-to-use coding language lua for modifications and most of engine
No, Minetest uses C++ for most of the engine (unfortunately IMO, because it (1) misses out on some LuaJIT speedups this way and (2) severely increases the maintenance effort).
oftenly and unofficially it's also known as "opensource minecraft clone" because basic games can be created even without coding
What no, you should make it explicit that Minetest strives to be its own voxel game engine and not an open source MC clone (that's the job of the MineClones)
no. imagine that your modifying this engine just to make your game... yes, you heard it right, to win - minetest engine should be modified...
Interesting idea, but haha no lol.
you can redesign menus, change default settings, disable chat or even just copy only 3d engine with few smaller scripts... its up to you but please, dont come with one mod/modpack/gamepack or map
Meh, is this a game jam or a "fix our broken engine & main menu" jam? Actual engine work is a PITA and even mainmenu work is painful (the mainmenu scripts are pretty dated by now).
debiankaios wrote:
Another things is why a 11-month and not 12-month wait for new jam.
Please re-read the announcement carefully.
On the other hand, I was expecting this jam and really should have everyone. And I've already made plans for the next one, which is this one
what
i see i will really need to delete this... i only hope noone joined and noone except of you saw. end this drama, okay?

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

already deleted. thank you =]

sell_her_on_55
In-game: sell_hering55

by sell_her_on_55 » Post

hmm could you also make your own modpack and then submit it ?
(assuming the modpack changes the gameplay of mtg sufficiently )

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

sell_her_on_55 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 18:20
hmm could you also make your own modpack and then submit it ?
(assuming the modpack changes the gameplay of mtg sufficiently )
Unfortunately, no. The idea here is to make a new, unique game. They need to specifically not be based on MTG, because we already have plenty of that.

rudzik8

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300+ in Prizes] [Donations open]

by rudzik8 » Post

Less than a day before Jam starts!

Don't forget to check the time before jam: https://www.greenxenith.com/minetestgamejam/ (because it can vary A LOT from time zone to time zone; for example, right now it will be already November 1st in less than an hour in Los Angeles, but Jam won't start in LA time, it will start in UTC+0)
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300+ in Prizes] [Donations open]

by Blockhead » Post

Haha I was so hyped then I remembered Australia is just so far ahead of most of the world that you're all still stuck on the 31st! Good luck everybody when the Jam actually does hit :)
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

rudzik8 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 06:09
Less than a day before Jam starts!

Don't forget to check the time before jam: https://www.greenxenith.com/minetestgamejam/ (because it can vary A LOT from time zone to time zone)
Indeed! Also, you can now access that site at https://jam.minetest.net/! More stuff will come to the site soon.

runs

by runs » Post

Why 01:00 am? The day starts at 00:00h...

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 22:00
Time zones exist. It's 00:00 in UTC
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

MCL

by MCL » Post

runs wrote:
Honest question: why would anybody use 00:00 outside of computers to mean midnight? Isn't 24 or 12 AM more human readable?

rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

UTC+7 has its own pluses. The Game Jam will start in 7AM for me

It's just >20 minutes before theme announcement. Woah.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 22:32
runs wrote:
Honest question: why would anybody use 00:00 outside of computers to mean midnight? Isn't 24 or 12 AM more human readable?
HH:MM is the standard format for notating time in general. We say 5:00PM or 10:30AM, etc. But PM/AM is both longer to say and can be confusing. So instead we use 24 hours in the normal notation, so 17:00 instead of 5:00PM. This is common in the military (at least in the US), usually written like "1700" or "0400" and spoken like "seventeen-hundred hours" or "oh-four-hundred hours". It is precise and succinct.

And just for clarity, computers read time as a single number, like 1667286000 for the start of the jam.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

The 2022 Minetest GAME JAM has BEGUN! The themes for the jam are:

SPACE | SECRETS | STORY

You only have to use one of these in your game, but it is encouraged to use more. Using more of the themes and/or applying them in a clever way will likely earn you a higher score (and a cooler game!)

You can check the jam web page to check your remaining working time! https://jam.minetest.net/

Happy jamming!

---

Prize pool donations are still open. Any questions are still welcome.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Tue Nov 01, 2022 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

runs

by runs » Post

Two of the themes are too generic - is this why so much mystery was necessary?

Literally the concepts SECRETS and STORY can enter in any game.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Another thing I'll note is that it sometimes helps to not think literally about themes, and instead think outside of the boxes. Look for interesting twists or alternative meanings

To quote MisterE:
It doesn't have to be literal outer space. It could be "a dark space", "make some space", "not enough space", "storage space" <- Warr's idea
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

runs wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 00:10
Two of the themes are too generic - is this why so much mystery was necessary?

Literally the concepts SECRETS and STORY can enter in any game.
All of the themes are designed to be able to accommodate a variety of games, and to encourage game types that might not already exist in the Minetest ecosystem. If you think they are too generic, consider it a happy medium between people that don't want any themes and those that want to be told exactly what to do. You shouldn't have any trouble making an awesome game with such open themes, right?

MCL

by MCL » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 23:48
MCL wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 22:32
runs wrote:
HH:MM is the standard format for notating time in general. We say 5:00PM or 10:30AM, etc. But PM/AM is both longer to say and can be confusing. So instead we use 24 hours in the normal notation, so 17:00 instead of 5:00PM. This is common in the military (at least in the US), usually written like "1700" or "0400" and spoken like "seventeen-hundred hours" or "oh-four-hundred hours". It is precise and succinct.

And just for clarity, computers read time as a single number, like 1667286000 for the start of the jam.
I know, I'm just confused by the use of 00:00 instead of 24, or at least 24:00, which is way more common in countries where 24-hour time is the standard. The average person there wouldn't know what you're taking about if you said something starts at "00:00".

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 01:23
GreenXenith wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 23:48

I know, I'm just confused by the use of 00:00 instead of 24, or at least 24:00, which is way more common in countries where 24-hour time is the standard. The average person there wouldn't know what you're taking about if you said something starts at "00:00".
Just "24" doesn't mean anything and 24:00 pretty much means "midnight tomorrow" instead of "midnight today". The average person here does, in fact, know what 00:00 means. You may be the exception.

rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

MCL wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 01:23
<...> I'm just confused by the use of 00:00 instead of 24, or at least 24:00, which is way more common in countries where 24-hour time is the standard.
I live in a country with 24-hour time being standard, and I never actually seen 24:00 as a serious timestamp. More like just a mistake/error/shitpost.

It's just useless.
Midnight tomorrow = 2nd November 00:00
Midnight today = 1st November 00:00
GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 01:30
Just "24" doesn't mean anything and 24:00 pretty much means "midnight tomorrow" instead of "midnight today".