2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300+ in Prizes] [Donations open]

by MisterE » Post

Just to be extra clear: 1) You do not *have* to use the theme, But you are highly encouraged to use at least one word from the theme. You will lose points if you do not incorporate at least one theme word in some way. 2) You may use one, two, or 3 words from the theme. 3) The meaning of any theme word is up for loose interpretation. Be creative!
Last edited by MisterE on Tue Nov 01, 2022 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

Re: 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300+ in Prizes] [Donations open]

by debiankaios » Post

Oh guys i like the topics.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

Is asking for help on the forums or Discord or elsewhere fine while doing the game for jam? Not like "hey do the game for me I'm too lazy and I wanna get those tasty green $$$", but specific questions like "how can I do X if Y is Z and W"
Asking because I obviously don't want my game be rejected :D
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

runs wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 00:10
Two of the themes are too generic - is this why so much mystery was necessary?

Literally the concepts SECRETS and STORY can enter in any game.
There are no secrets or really any story in the game of chess. You can stretch the imagination say that the techniques for winning chess are a secret, but that's any game. You could say that you can make a story out of a game of chess, but that would still need a lot of creative storytelling. Obviously you could make chess in Minetest but it wouldn't fit the themes of secrets and story. There, that wasn't hard to debunk.
/Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³]_[Λ³Λ³_Λ³Λ³\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB βœοΈβ™‚

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

Blockhead wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49

There are no secrets or really any story in the game of chess. You can stretch the imagination say that the techniques for winning chess are a secret, but that's any game. You could say that you can make a story out of a game of chess, but that would still need a lot of creative storytelling. Obviously you could make chess in Minetest but it wouldn't fit the themes of secrets and story. There, that wasn't hard to debunk.
Story:
If you are white side: Black side is evil, he put figures, attack him
If you are black side: White side is evil, he attacked you with Figure, fight him off.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Agreed. I actually considered implementing one of my dearest board games (nine mens morris) for this game jam. The themes will now require my team & me to come up with something more creative.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

rudzik8 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 07:46
Is asking for help on the forums or Discord or elsewhere fine while doing the game for jam? Not like "hey do the game for me I'm too lazy and I wanna get those tasty green $$$", but specific questions like "how can I do X if Y is Z and W"
Asking because I obviously don't want my game be rejected :D
Yes its fine. If you get non-trivial code from other people or copy it from another project, then you must license your work properly to include attribution, but that is no different than for any regular project. In fact, asking for help solving problems is encouraged.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

LMD wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:26

Agreed. I actually considered implementing one of my dearest board games (nine mens morris) for this game jam. The themes will now require my team & me to come up with something more creative.
You can of course create a themed version of a board game, and write a backstory perhaps.

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:40

You can of course create a themed version of a board game, and write a backstory perhaps.
In short, the themes are worthless. Someone could have been preparing the game all this year, and now adding some "Story" and some invented secrets is already done...

Anyway, for the next one, if there is one I propose more specific themes> For example> COOK, WATERWHEEL, SKULL.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Tue Nov 01, 2022 13:02
MisterE wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:40

In short, the themes are worthless. Someone could have been preparing the game all this year, and now adding some "Story" and some invented secrets is already done...

Anyway, for the next one, if there is one I propose more specific themes> For example> COOK, WATERWHEEL, SKULL.
I disagree that they are worthless. Their value is in providing inspiration and in a prod to be creative. Yes, they are vauge, especially if they are interpreted loosely. Last time, we didn't have a theme; we wanted one this time. We also wanted to avoid having too restrictive a theme. This year's Ludum Dare Jam had the theme: 'every 10 seconds', which was awful, it was too restrictive and narrowed the scope to a certian kind of gameplay. We wanted to avoid that.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

GreenXenith wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 01, 2022 01:30
Just "24" doesn't mean anything and 24:00 pretty much means "midnight tomorrow" instead of "midnight today". The average person here does, in fact, know what 00:00 means. You may be the exception.
How hard is it for you that I'm not talking about America? Sure, the very few Americans who use 24-hour time DO say 00:00, but almost nobody outside of the US uses it in everyday speech. In Europe the time usually goes from 1 to 24, not from 0 to 23, and it is uncommon to write ":00" at the end when denoting a full hour.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

MCL wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 03, 2022 01:16
How hard is it for you that I'm not talking about America? Sure, the very few Americans who use 24-hour time DO say 00:00, but almost nobody outside of the US uses it in everyday speech. In Europe the time usually goes from 1 to 24, not from 0 to 23, and it is uncommon to write ":00" at the end when denoting a full hour.
Europe, Russia, Siberia.

00:00, 32nd Marchuabry
01:00, 32nd Marchuabry
02:00, 32nd Marchuabry
03:00, 32nd Marchuabry
21:00, 32nd Marchuabry
22:00, 32nd Marchuabry
23:00, 32nd Marchuabry
00:00, 33rd Marchuabry
and so on

Am I American now? XD
My english isn't so good, sorry. || You can check out my mods here (and maps here)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Please keep further off-topic debate about time formats outside of this thread, thanks. We are using a global standard and plan to stick to it.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Like in 2021, I will take part in this Game Jam. Development on a brand new game has already begun.

The contents of the game are completely secret until release day, so stay tuned for the final day. :P

By the way, the deadline is ambigious.
In the forum it says "You have until Monday, November 21st @23:59 to make your game" and "UTC".
But on jam.minetest.net, it says: "Working time ends Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM" with no time zone specified.

You're sending mixed messages, please make up your mind and write the same deadline (and timezone) everywhere. Thanks.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 06, 2022 22:32
But on jam.minetest.net, it says: "Working time ends Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM" with no time zone specified
The website shows the deadline in the users timezone, for example, UTC+1 for you

The detected timezone should be added to make this clear
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

In the forum it says "You have until Monday, November 21st @23:59 to make your game" and "UTC".
But on jam.minetest.net, it says: "Working time ends Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM" with no time zone specified.
rubenwardy wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 07, 2022 00:18
The website shows the deadline in the users timezone, for example, UTC+1 for you
This, but
rubenwardy wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 07, 2022 00:18
The detected timezone should be added to make this clear
Yes, done.
You're sending mixed messages, please make up your mind and write the same deadline (and timezone) everywhere. Thanks.
The entire point of the site is to be convenient by showing you how much time you have in your own timezone. I obviously do not have the luxury of doing this on the forum or IRC. Please try to be understanding, thanks.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thank you. In the Internet, specifying the time zone is important.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Mon Oct 24, 2022 06:59
Crypto will not be considered.
May I ask why?
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MCL wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 13, 2022 17:00
Mon Oct 24, 2022 06:59
Crypto will not be considered.
May I ask why?
Unsafe and volatile system. I simply don't wish to deal with it.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Less than 1 week left to work on jam submissions! I still want to see WIP games even if you do it in the last 3 days!
Remember to use the Jam / Game 2022 tag when submitting to the ContentDB, and check out https://jam.minetest.net/ to see a countdown!

Hoping for, like, a few submissions :D

debiankaios

Re: !! 1 WEEK LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by debiankaios » Post

I will not participate. I made the december ready, and i have maybe never time in september, october, november! Sorry, i will nothing do, also in my rest time because it is wrong time

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: !! 1 WEEK LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by LMD » Post

debiankaios wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 15, 2022 13:55
I will not participate. I made the december ready, and i have maybe never time in september, october, november! Sorry, i will nothing do, also in my rest time because it is wrong time
Fellow German here: I don't see how December 1st - 21st would be any better, considering that the public holidays only start on the 24th this year.

You can participate even if you're terribly busy; you might need to form a team though. I'm currently participating as part of a larger team; originally we started out as two people (archfan & me) both united in their lack of time.

3 weekends + 15 evenings are enough to get a decent game going. It need not be perfect or finished.

And finally, if you don't participate, you can (and probably should) just stay silent. This is not the time and place to voice your criticism if that was your intent.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I'm super busy, but I used an extremely simple mechanic and turned out a decent puzzle game in a few afternoons. The code is simple, the map is simple, but it is a compelling puzzle experience. Now, I need to make more than 2 levels, and I'll be set.

runs

by runs » Post

I am not very busy. I have some of the best jobs in the world, I'm very lucky, I barely work more than 4 hours a day. but I have to prioritize my star game and my mods. The quality standard of my work on Minetest is very high, and I demand a lot from myself.

Besides, to make a routine game, I pass. 70% of last year's games were really bad. But well, if the goal is to fill this section of the ContentDB with games, I'm sure it will be achieved...

GreenXenith

Re: !! 1 DAY LEFT !! 2022 Minetest GAME JAM [November 1st-21st] [$300 in Prizes]

by GreenXenith » Post

~24 hours remain! Finish up and get your games in to the ContentDB with the Jam / Game 2022 tag!