Minetest 5.7.0 release candidate 1

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Minetest 5.7.0 release candidate 1

by rubenwardy » Post

Hi all!

The Minetest 5.7.0 feature freeze has begun, which means we'd be very grateful for help testing the prerelease version. Feature freezes are a period of time before release where we fix bugs and do not add any new features, to improve stability. If all goes well, Minetest 5.7.0 should be released in week's time.

This release will be dedicated to Jude Melton-Houghton (TurkeyMcMac / jwmhjwmh)

Highlights

• New graphical effects: postprocessing shaders, bloom, and dynamic exposure
  • Improved performance on high-end systems at large view ranges (some report 60FPS at 1000 nodes view range) (you need to change the client_mesh_chunk setting to benefit from this)
  • Improved mapblock meshgen performance (will result in faster map loading)
  • Lots of other performance improvements
  • Rotating entity selection boxes
  • Dynamic shadow improvements
  • Android: support for using a fixed crosshair, like on desktop
  • Mods can now find out the player's window size, which will allow for full-screen and more responsive GUIs
  • It's no longer possible to load a world if mods have unsatisfied dependencies. Before, Minetest would automatically disable these mods - but it led to confusion. You will need to add the missing dependency or disable the mods

Known issues

• Infinite view range doesn't work
Please report any issues on GitHub or the forums

Downloads

• Windows: 32-bit 64-bit (Windows 10 or 11)
  • Android: 64-bit (note: you'll need to uninstall any existing installs of the app first. This won't be needed with the actual release. Make sure to backup worlds.) (Android 5.0 or later)
  • Linux: AppImage or self-compilation
  • MacOS: .zip containing the app (10.14 or later)
Commit hash: 9ef3c8
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: Minetest 5.7.0 release candidate 1

by Inocudom » Post

)-( May Jude Melton-Houghton be remembered forever by version 5.7.0. )-(

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Very happy to see the improvements! Quick question, am I correct to assume Android builds will now be able to use the shaders we have in desktop, like shadows? Or I misunderstood the comment changes on Git?

As a side note, I have an unofficial and possibly easier to test Linux build for amd64 architecture here using AppImage. The one from the Gitlab repo was not working for me on Debian 11:

https://github.com/ronoaldo/minetestcli ... .7.0-rc1-1
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ronoaldo wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 23:55
Very happy to see the improvements! Quick question, am I correct to assume Android builds will now be able to use the shaders we have in desktop, like shadows? Or I misunderstood the comment changes on Git?
Unfortunately, dynamic shadows are the one thing Android can't do - it requires features not available in GL ES. But Android will support the new post-processing shaders like bloom and dynamic exposure.
ronoaldo wrote:
As a side note, I have an unofficial and possibly easier to test Linux build for amd64 architecture here using AppImage. The one from the Gitlab repo was not working for me on Debian 11:

Ah thanks. Hopefully this will help someone, we should definitely fix our appimages in that case

Hello profile reader

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

Oh that is cool. Thanks for the heads up! Again, congratulations for the continued work!

Testing up on my server and also on my mobile now. Super excited for the new screen info ☺️

ronoaldo

by ronoaldo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 23:59
ronoaldo wrote:

Ah thanks. Hopefully this will help someone, we should definitely fix our appimages in that case
Oops, it seems like this is no longer the case! Gitlab AppImage worked this time. Previous versions were not working. The only issue with the AppImage from Gitlab was the locale (I have mine set to pt-BR but it displayed in English), but it launched instead of raising an error! So probably already fixed!

This is the output of the program:

Code: Select all

$ ./minetest-gitlab 
2023-03-05 22:59:42: WARNING[Main]: system-wide share not found at "/builds/minetest/minetest/artifact/minetest/usr/share/minetest"
2023-03-05 22:59:42: WARNING[Main]: system-wide share found at "/tmp/.mount_mineteE3kfxy/usr/bin/../share/minetest"
2023-03-05 22:59:42: WARNING[Main]: Couldn't find a locale directory!
2023-03-05 22:59:43: WARNING[Main]: Could not load icon file '/builds/minetest/minetest/artifact/minetest/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/minetest.png'
2023-03-05 22:59:43: WARNING[Main]: Could not load icon file '/tmp/.mount_mineteE3kfxy/usr/bin/../share/minetest/misc/minetest-xorg-icon-128.png'
Quit message received.

rob123
GitHub: qwerty123a2
In-game: joe and joergeg

by rob123 » Post

bloom not in default game
If my post says something, it is a opinion and not fact unless i say something

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

rob123 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 06:10
bloom not in default game
Good, bloom makes me feel like I need to get my eyesight checked. First thing I turned off in Oblivion. Post-processing should be minimised in most games in general but especially in Minetest Game in my opinion, which is supposed to be generic and widely appreciable.

To server owners and mod authors: This is the time, if you have time, to move your testing/staging environments forward to the release candidate and report the issues that you have. Don't wait until after the release and then complain, because by then you may have to wait for a point release (5.7.1) to fix your issues. Let's make it a great release so the usual suspects don't get sour over things breaking - which they may inevitably do, but with varying degrees of validity.

Update: I'm really annoyed by the lack of infinite view range, hopefully this issue gets the attention it needs for 5.7.0.
Last edited by Blockhead on Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks for all your hard work guys, kinda wish the daily .deb build was working to test it out properly as the AppImage fails with a segmentation fault.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:10
kinda wish the daily .deb build was working to test it out properly
Fixed

Hello profile reader

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Yay! Thanks Rubenwardy.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

It's nice to hear the feature freeze has finally begun. Actually this will be a release dedicated only to the postprocessing shaders. However, it's pity the dual wielding and the settings menu redesign will be missed in the upcoming release, also potentially my 3dline rendering feature could be timely reviewed and merged. So, there would be whole 4 major features included.

Horka
In-game: Horka

by Horka » Post

Great !
Thanks to all who have contributed.
(I tried it and it seems very good to me, the shaders are impressive.)
I just have a remark to make:
I don't know if this is possible or if this is planned. But for me I think it would be a pretty handy feature. would it be possible in future versions that we don't have to save our map and copy it to the new version.
There should be a link between the old and the new versions. I don't think this is your first emergency, but as a user of minetest for some time I give you my opinion and this is for me one of the downsides of minetest.
And again thank you to all those who contribute to the development of minetest.

blocker

by blocker » Post

Unfortunately no longer for MacOS High Sierra (10.13.x) on my iMac from 2011.
Please add the minimum version of MacOS in the description.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Added, we support 10.14 or later

Hello profile reader

runs

by runs » Post

The speed-up release.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

5.7.0 let's GOOOOOOOOO! :D :D

The screen info update sounds useful, maybe I'll finally be able to fix hudbars on all OSes. :-)

I've tested bloom already, this makes Glitch and Backrooms Test look very special. :D

It would be nice if there was a changelog *before* release so we know what we need to test. :P
At least we got the "highlights", which is better than nothing. xD

Besides: R.I.P. TurkeyMcMac. :-( The dedication is well-deserved.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Improved performance on high-end systems at large view ranges (some report 60FPS at 1000 nodes view range)
At 1000 view range, the FPS on the Steam Deck has increased from 10 to 30 - 48.

Note that you need to change a setting to get this performance improvement (client_mesh_chunk = 4)

Hello profile reader

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

In testing the new view distance range using sfans latest build, I encounter the following issues:

1. When view range is disabled, the unlimited view range is still limited by the view range setting. In previous versions, when unlimited view range was enabled, you could see all previously generated terrain. Now, I can only see what is within the view range.

2. In order to use this feature, would the client_unload_unused_data_timeout and client_mapblock_limit have an effect. In previous versions, I set unused data timeout to 3600 and mapblock limit to -1. I still have to set those two settings, or blocks will begin to unload before I've generated a 1km stretch of terrain to then view.

My system is: Win10 Pro 64bit on an i5-4590 3.3Ghz, 8GB ram, GeForce GT1030 with 2GB.

I have set the client_mesh_chunk setting to 4, as suggested. FPS begins to fall above 180 view distance, dropping to 2-3 FPS when viewing at 2km.

The three pics show the effect. Debug info is enabled in pics, showing relevant version info.

Any suggestions?

Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20230309_100125.jpg
screenshot_20230309_100125.jpg (257.53 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
screenshot_20230309_093921.jpg
screenshot_20230309_093921.jpg (350.22 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
screenshot_20230309_090205.jpg
screenshot_20230309_090205.jpg (345.73 KiB) Viewed 7231 times

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 19:25
In testing the new view distance range using sfans latest build, I encounter the following issues:

1. When view range is disabled, the unlimited view range is still limited by the view range setting.
This is filed as #13224 over at GitHub. Go give it a thumb up and add any additional useful comments you have over there.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The translation templates are now updated on Weblate. They are ready for translation: https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/minetest/

Here's a list of features I contributed to this release:
  • New paramtype2: 4dir and color4dir: This allows a node to have exactly 4 possible rotations. Basically a simplified version of facedir, added to simplify code, but also to unlock more colors for such a simple node
  • Attached nodes also work with facedir and 4dir.
  • Nodes can be natively attached to the ceiling as well
  • More DevTest stuff. Most importantly, a search feature was added for items

JALdMIC
In-game: None

by JALdMIC » Post

You know if the function get_bone_position will by fixed for this release? because is broken(only give the position and is 0),this maybe not be difficult because when a object is parent to a bone this get their rotation and position.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

JALdMIC wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 14:09
You know if the function get_bone_position will by fixed for this release? because is broken(only give the position and is 0),this maybe not be difficult because when a object is parent to a bone this get their rotation and position.
No. This is nontrivial to fix serverside; it would require the server to read and perhaps even animate the models.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

When I had to recompile as of lost server OS, I even did not think anymore to try 5.7.0-rc1 out,
after hosting now since 0.4.15 ? and witnessing now major benefit of new versions, in server side and also client side speed,
I just was sure 5.6.1 is old enough and proofed stability to give it a try, and was lucky to find out why 5.6.1 was rejecting find postgresql now, as 5.5.0 compiling on same system worked direkt.

Good Luck with 5.7.0 - I might jump on after 3 months out and active.

Sure thanks for the devs ... but as you know me, there are other things around minetest, that need to be improved.
servers-list with better focus on local server, as most gamer still are too ... to use nearby server and as even don't understand yet the concept of data transfer time and so pulling the rtt lag onto the engine itself.
The still declining player after a limited time over new year show clear - new versions are not helping against loosing player.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

mazes_80
GitHub: mazes-80
IRC: mazes_80
In-game: mazes

by mazes_80 » Post

Fast privilege is now working, until now it was not fast under water.