[0.4.7] Mod System

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

[0.4.7] Mod System

by PilzAdam » Post

Hello everyone!
The mod system has changed a bit. User installed mods are not per game anymore. Install them in:

Code: Select all

$path_user/mods
For windows builds and run_in_place linux version that is:

<your_minetest_folder>/mods/
and for globally installed linux versions (create if needed):

~/.minetest/mods/
The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:

load_mod_<modname> = true
This system will be used in 0.4.7, so if you update make sure to move all your mods from mods/<minetest, survival, build, whatever gameid>/ to mods/

Games are not affected by this change.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Wed May 22, 2013 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

qznc

by qznc » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Hello everyone!
Mods are not installed per game anymore.
[...]
This sounds incoherent.

My interpretation:
  • Games behave and are written as before. Hence they include their own mods and these are always active.
  • Mods outside of games are disabled by default, but can be enabled via menu at world creation.
  • Worlds remember their mods, so reentering a world activates mods as before.
Can you disable mods of a game at world creation? E.g. start a HungryGame without the drowning mod.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

qznc wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Hello everyone!
Mods are not installed per game anymore.
[...]
This sounds incoherent.

My interpretation:
  • Games behave and are written as before. Hence they include their own mods and these are always active.
  • Mods outside of games are disabled by default, but can be enabled via menu at world creation.
  • Worlds remember their mods, so reentering a world activates mods as before.
Can you disable mods of a game at world creation? E.g. start a HungryGame without the drowning mod.
Sorry for the confusion, I changed the sentence a bit:
PilzAdam wrote:User installed mods are not per game anymore.
I hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Your interpretation is correct.

You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:Why don't work worldmods now?
Worldmods (i.e. mods in the worldmods/ folder in the world) are not affected by this.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:but since luahud the "/" is marked when I press / to say a command
I had that too, but its gone for some reason.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Pressing "/" and having the dialog come up with that "/" highlighted has been a bug for a long while now - it comes and goes, with no apparent pattern.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Why?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Nice.

Originally I though this was the case until survival and build was introduced, and i discovered it.

It is much better this way.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

they should be both per game and global, IE the old system goes over the new one? I complained about this in the original pull request. Glad to see I was ignored in my worries

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

sdzen wrote:they should be both per game and global, IE the old system goes over the new one? I complained about this in the original pull request. Glad to see I was ignored in my worries
I agree. I fought for this in irc but they don't want to. My suggestion is adding another folder in the mods folder for it. Like mods/world/mod here and mods/game/gameid/mods here. It is good to see one person sharing my idea. With the mod manager get rid of the add on thingy and ,make
-per world
-<gamid>
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Well, this would be very nice if there is a graphical interface within the game for easily toggling what mods are being used, rather than having to move them all over the place. Just make sure it's easy to enable them all; I tend to use 60+ mods, and it would be tedious to have to go through and click 60 checkboxes or type 60 parameters into a config file.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

onpon4 wrote:Well, this would be very nice if there is a graphical interface within the game for easily toggling what mods are being used, rather than having to move them all over the place. Just make sure it's easy to enable them all; I tend to use 60+ mods, and it would be tedious to have to go through and click 60 checkboxes or type 60 parameters into a config file.
They have a mod interface in the configuration tab for specific worlds.
Back from the dead!

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

anyone find out how to enable and disable the mods via the cmd?
I haven't and unlike some people the gui isn't my first choice to start up minetest. :)

edit: I know the other way but honestly.... it sucks.
Last edited by sdzen on Sun May 26, 2013 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

Owner of the Zelo's

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

sdzen wrote:anyone find out how to enable and disable the mods via the cmd?
I haven't and unlike some people the gui isn't my first choice to start up minetest. :)

echo "load_mod_<modname> = <true/false>" >> worlds/<worldname>/world.mt
or

vim worlds/<worldname>/world.mt
after each startup all missing mods are written with false into the file.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sun May 26, 2013 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

PilzAdam wrote:You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).
Why not allow the same setting for mods in the world's game directory, but default the game mods to "true" if the setting isn't present? This would allow users to add "load_mod_wool = false" to the world.mt file explicitly for a world using the "minetest"/minetest_game game type, but would not affect the current default behavior.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Thu May 30, 2013 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:You cant disable a mod of a game (e.g. you cant use minetest_game without the "wool" mod).
Why not allow the same setting for mods in the world's game directory, but default the game mods to "true" if the setting isn't present? This would allow users to add "load_mod_wool = false" to the world.mt file explicitly for a world using the "minetest"/minetest_game game type, but would not affect the current default behavior.
Games shouldnt be modified by users. The game creator should take care that the game is playable and that everything works.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Games shouldn't be modified. If they are, they're no longer that game- they are a fork. :-(
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Stefek

by Stefek » Post

Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.
So please, can someone explain to us nonprogramers how this damn mods working. There are mods directory in main foder, but it is not working so please help..

Jonathan

by Jonathan » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
prestidigitator wrote:
Games shouldnt be modified by users. The game creator should take care that the game is playable and that everything works.
I personally would like the ability to turn on/off mods that are part of the game, which should not be a big deal if the depends.txt files are correct. For instance, I would like to turn the bones mod off.

@Stefek:
After you put the mod folder in the mod directory, in the latest build you have to enable the mods by configuring the map you create (configure button is in the main menu). They are off by default.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri May 31, 2013 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
- Charles Spurgeon

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Stefek wrote:Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.
So please, can someone explain to us nonprogramers how this damn mods working. There are mods directory in main foder, but it is not working so please help..
This is not complicated at all. You just need to read the second part of the first post:
PilzAdam wrote:The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:

wtebmaster

by wtebmaster » Post

So world.mt being the file that is in minetest folder/worlds/world, correct?

Also with the configure tab, the only thing that shows up is "Add-Ons". I click that and save. When I load the game no mods are loaded.

I also tried opening world.mt and putting in "load_mod_modname = true". But when I did the configure thing I talked about above, Minetest would delete that.

What the heck is going on?

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

wtebmaster wrote:So world.mt being the file that is in minetest folder/worlds/world, correct?

Also with the configure tab, the only thing that shows up is "Add-Ons". I click that and save. When I load the game no mods are loaded.

I also tried opening world.mt and putting in "load_mod_modname = true". But when I did the configure thing I talked about above, Minetest would delete that.

What the heck is going on?
It should should list all the mods under "Add-Ons", you probably have none in your mods folder.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Stefek wrote:Does this have to be so complicated? I put set of mods in loads of directories and none so far are working.
This is not complicated at all. You just need to read the second part of the first post:
PilzAdam wrote:The mods are enabled per world (disabled by default to not screw up already existing worlds). So, if you install a mod you need to go to the "Configure" window for the world in the singleplayer tab and enable it there, or, write this to world.mt:

So, why arent they enabled by default?

Zen S.D.

Owner of the Zelo's

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Two buttons known as Enable All and Disable All are in the Map Configuration menu. Different game types may need their own mod folders (with nothing being changed concerning minetest_game,) but the basic idea is better than what past ideas offered.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

I personally love the new system. I like being able to seperately mod each world.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.