Japanese
AndDT
GitHub: AndDT
IRC: AndDT
In-game: AndDT

Japasese characters

by AndDT » Post

Hello!
Tell me please, how to type Japanese characters in minetest in Linux?
I use SCIM as input method.
Also, what font should I choose to display kana?
Proud user of Slackware GNU/Linux

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: Japasese characters

by Byakuren » Post

I spoke with somebody who said that they could only input Japanese in Minetest when on Windows. Maybe Linux Irrlicht doesn't support IME.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

AndDT
GitHub: AndDT
IRC: AndDT
In-game: AndDT

by AndDT » Post

Byakuren wrote:Maybe Linux Irrlicht doesn't support IME.
Thank you, now I know what to google :-)
Proud user of Slackware GNU/Linux

FrostRanger
GitHub: WulftheNordicRanger
IRC: FrostRanger FrostRanger[m]
In-game: FrostRanger FrostStar
Location: In the untamed wilderness of wherever I happen to be dimension hopping this time...

by FrostRanger » Post

I don't mean to necrobump but I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get japanese input to work in minetest?
Sole ranger and ruler of the frozen realms of Cabin Fever and seeker of the ever elusive Dungeon Master...

fujii
GitHub: Bunichiroh
IRC: bfujii
In-game: bfujii

by fujii » Post

IME does not change the mode to Japanese input mode in my Windows10 client(minetest-0.4.17.1-win64).

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Even if you can input Japanese it doesn't help either. To most users Chinese and Japanese text appear to be blank (which is considered spamming, but actually isn't). I think the real solution would be having a Japanese IM for Linux and a proper font for Minetest.

FrostRanger
GitHub: WulftheNordicRanger
IRC: FrostRanger FrostRanger[m]
In-game: FrostRanger FrostStar
Location: In the untamed wilderness of wherever I happen to be dimension hopping this time...

by FrostRanger » Post

yw05 wrote:Even if you can input Japanese it doesn't help either. To most users Chinese and Japanese text appear to be blank (which is considered spamming, but actually isn't). I think the real solution would be having a Japanese IM for Linux and a proper font for Minetest.
There are Japanese ime's for linux such as scim (what I use personally) and fcitx. The problem here is the irrlicht version Minetest uses doesn't support it, so even if you have an ime setup and running, it won't work in mt.
Interestingly enough the mobile version of the game suppots kana (you still need to change the font ti display it though) .
I do think that the default font on mt should be changed to something that will support other writing scripts better 'cause even though there haven't been too many Japanese players on the server I play on, they are out there and deserve to be able to type in their native language and not be falsely accused of spamming (although the staff is aware of the issue and most of us use irc so we can check if the player is indeed spamming)
Sole ranger and ruler of the frozen realms of Cabin Fever and seeker of the ever elusive Dungeon Master...

tsao-chi
GitHub: tsao-chi

by tsao-chi » Post

This is Irrlicht's failure.
Maybe patching Irrlicht is the only way.