Suggestion for ContentDB- making custom games

Pyrollo
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: Suggestion for ContentDB- making custom games

by Pyrollo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 14:59
Good games are more than a collection of mods on top of MTG. If they were just that, then there's no need for games - you could just use a modpack. Good games customise their content to achieve polish, and often aren't based on Minetest Game at all.
I totally agree with Rubenwardy. Making games is definitely not just gathering mods. It's much more. Regarding to the whole thing, putting mods together is a very small task (that is really easy for someone able to create a game). I'm afraid that with such a tool, we'll have a lot of useless games (useless because they don't bring anything new or interesting).
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 15:19
No, mods can be very cool. What is low effort is combining premade mods using a web UI, without modification or any insurance that they've been tried
do use realise that 1000s of gamers modify game engines with pre existing mods to customise thier own personalised experinence . the gameplay aspects that one person enjoys may widely differ from the next . as is very often the case with coders vs gamers .. so what if you consider that approach low effort what effect does that possibly have on you ? we are not your minions that you can demand our highest efforts.
so i really can not fathom your objection to recomondations of mods that work well together as a starting point for newbies which are in an easily accessible package .
you realise that is where most users start out is with a base package then they get curious and start looking under the hood tweaking a line of code here and there to optimize their gaming experience as they play . they may not be at all intrested in starting out from scratch and buliding an entire game . but they may be focused on certian areas that may be still to your advantage .
for example in game ambient sounds need attention they are not finalized the levels are not nomalized they start and end abruptly instead of fading smoothly.do you have a data base of sound effects for game creators ? somthing that non game creators with very mininimal tuition could get involved in .
so i suggest you drop the no effort nonsense towards gamers if they do not have the inclination to build games from scratch and encourage them no matter what they decide to do with the engine . the OPs idea was a good one if a little thought was put in on how to promote the feature .
awaiting minetest hardcore mode .

eyekay
In-game: eyekay49

by eyekay » Post

I've realised that I've misread
Finally.
more acceptable
Thanks!
can be done as a standalone tool,
I was thinking the same: there could be an independent tool for this.
Brainiacs assemble please, I have no idea how to do that. I could do a bash script or something but that would defeat the purpose - phone users' convenience.

eyekay
In-game: eyekay49

by eyekay » Post

@pyrollo - why do you care about whether the game is useless it not? The game made will be accessible to the user who created it only, not published on ContentDB

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

I like the core idea, but I think it should be implemented differently.

Games are, basically, just collections of mods. Those can be game specific mods, such as Warr's nc_* mods. But the entire "downloading" and copy & paste model of installation is flawed, as you won't get any updates. Instead, a private (or even public) mod collection would be far better. This is what ruben refers to as "soft modpacks".

I'd drop the entire "base game" thing altogether, as it leads to hardly maintainable games - many games which used a now 3 or more year old MTG as a base are now terribly outdated and broken.

Another advantage of soft modpacks is disk space efficiency: they don't have to store the same mods multiple times. Each mod is only stored once. On top of that, they are far easier to manage - you can easily throw out mods & install new ones at any time, as it's just one-line changes in some dependency list.

Basically, take "soft modpacks" + game metadata and you have a good and maintainable game.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Yeah, the benefit of a soft modpack is that the mods inside will automatically update