Ecoterrorists are attacking tracks in Minetest

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Ecoterrorists are attacking tracks in Minetest

by Hume2 » Post

In last days, Tunnelers' Abyss was attacked by ecoterrorists griefing railway in bulk and planting foliage instead. They were dropping sand to the tracks which caused it drop as item. Using this code and adding the tracks to the "nostomp" group, it is no longer possible. When a falling node falls onto a node in the "nostomp" group, the falling node drops as item instead.

After I fixed this "feature", it is possible that these ecoterrorists will go to other servers. So if your server is using the advtrains mod, protect the tracks against griefers as soon as possible.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: Ecoterrorists are attacking tracks in Minetest

by CalebJ » Post

A big thanks to Diaeresis (AsumFace) for quickly responding to the crisis.
Its a bit weird that people are doing this. Since we banned their whole network, they will move on to another server. Be careful!

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

why are they "ecoterrorists"? this is a game, why not simply call them what they are, griefers?

did the perpetrator(s) leave some manifesto and saying that they did the griefing to save the environment, the digital world?
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

chef trip wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 00:44
..., why not simply call them what they are, griefers?
griefers, did they use it themself somewhere else ?
no ? then even no griefer.

better just thieves. Dump ... brainless ... if they kept ! the nodes even not to return them.

If ... deleted ...
I get more the word terrorist ... just destroy other builds without any sense behind.
BTW that news is near 2 years old ... Tue Apr 21, 2020 23:48
did't happen at me or even I have no info from Pandorabox as this problem can also happen at normal cart rail track ...
Last edited by Festus1965 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 05:42, edited 2 times in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

German Green Party strikes again
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

chef trip wrote:
why are they "ecoterrorists"? this is a game, why not simply call them what they are, griefers?

did the perpetrator(s) leave some manifesto and saying that they did the griefing to save the environment, the digital world?
its called " Industrial society and its future ". look it up

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

chef trip wrote:

Considering Minetest runs games, occasionally people like to have fun around here.

Minetest.net is full of characters. Only at minetest.net will find such a thing where the majority of responses are being concerned about the nuanced wording of the OP to such a degree :D

OP, I appreciate the humor you added to your bug report.
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

chef trip wrote:

Yes, they planted many trees instead. They also called themselves "Server enhancement team Helmud Kohl" if I remember correctly.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

First we got the first Minetest virus, now we have ecoterrorists, what comes next? We get taken over by Stalinists?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 23:03
First we got the first Minetest virus, now we have ecoterrorists, what comes next? We get taken over by Stalinists?
S̶t̶a̶l̶l̶m̶a̶n̶i̶s̶t̶s̶

:P

PrairieWind
GitHub: PrairieAstronomer
IRC: PrairieWind
In-game: PrairieWind

by PrairieWind » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 23:03
What is the minetest virus?

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

PrairieWind wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 22:51
What is the minetest virus?
To my knowledge, he was referring a malicious pull request submitted to the techage mod, which allowed someone who knew a password to change the random number generation seed and get 99 mese.

See this forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27647&hilit=Techage

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Reminds me of when Dr Beeching visited my server and wrote a formal letter of complaint against diesel trains, talking about building "bike motorways" (which is being done, just that they are slower and take up more space then trains).
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 18:48
"bike motorways" .. take up more space then trains).
??? Bike paths only need to be about 3-5m wide, whereas a double track railway can't be any narrower than 5 metres, and should be 6 usually or even 7. Risk of collision between bikes is quite minimal if everyone follows the road rules, I can't say I've ever been on bike path sharing with another user in Minetest though. So even if you make the bike path 6 metres wide, that's huge for bikes, but it's only par for the course for a railway.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 03:56
??? Bike paths only need to be about 3-5m wide, whereas a double track railway can't be any narrower than 5 metres, and should be 6 usually or even 7. Risk of collision between bikes is quite minimal if everyone follows the road rules, I can't say I've ever been on bike path sharing with another user in Minetest though. So even if you make the bike path 6 metres wide, that's huge for bikes, but it's only par for the course for a railway.
Oh! Culture shock!

For reference, we are talking about a server where bike infrastructure is as small as this:

But can also be as large as this ("bike motorways"):

And this is the largest piece of long rail infrastructure:

Image I am against cars at a fundemental level, so bikes allow me to build road-like infrastructure.

Also provided is a copy of Dr Beeching's letter (which takes from real-life events):
Spoiler
Dear Department Of Transport,

I am writing this letter to summarise and suggest improvements to the railway and bike infrastructure on the server.

The railway infrastructure is an absolute waste of time and government resources. Hundreds of hours have been spent building railway lines to nowehere ("Potemkin" rail), which each suffer interlocking errors and failures of service.

Each of these errors causes hundreds of minutes to be spent diagnosing and solving these errors. However, for all this work, the average train holds only 0 people. This means that time is wasted for absolutely no gain whatsoever.

Even in the rare cases a train manages to collect a player, the infrastructure often breaks down, meaning the player is less likely to ride the train system.

Instead, i propose the use of bike highways. The highest cost goes to initally building them, but afterwards, they often cost little time to use and allow high-speed transport to occur.

Bike lanes allow people to travel at high-speeds with little reason to stop. Bike highways can be integrated into the local bike lane system, providing seamless transport from one building to another.

Trains only ever offer higher-speed transport between two curated stations which may be built any distance from the city they serve. To get to the city, one has to walk or cycle, an often difficult distance.

It seems then, that bike infrastructure is the better solution for transport, allowing easy integration with local bike lane systems and keeping towns happy.

Sincerly, Dr Beeching
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:00
Blockhead wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 03:56
For reference, we are talking about a server where bike infrastructure is as small as this:
very cool, but, can bikes be ridden in MT?
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

chef trip wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 04:42
very cool, but, can bikes be ridden in MT?
yes