New Minetet Game

KreiBloko
50%
PaliPoki
50%

Total votes: 10

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

Re: The best name instead of Minetest is...

by freshreplicant » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 16:02

Minetest is more popular than SuperTuxKart, SuperTux, and OpenRA. It's about the same as 0ad

Minetest and Veloren are actually pretty close now in the last 12 months. Minetest was much more popular than Veloren before that. We don't have an open collective but if we did from the start we would have raised more than that. Veloren is very good at the marketing side of things, the name definitely helps for that
Whoa, that's pretty cool!

I guess the good thing about this whole debate is that (from my understanding) we are talking about changing the name of the engine. Minetest the Game can remain as it is. It can just be called Minetest even. The traffic from these search results won't vanish. It will just save us the confusing and boring introductory "Well, achkually, Minetest is the engine, Minetest the Game is the game."

It just allows the two to have separate identities. Like Duke Nukem 3D and the Build Engine, not Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem the Game.

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

Kilarin wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 19:35
'...at this point, changing the name would result in a significant amount of confusion, and a major loss of brand recognition. The forums would have to change. The website would have to change. The subreddit would have to change. Or, if they didn't, even more confusion would result. People who went online looking for "MineTest" because they had played it before, would hit a major hiccup when they found the name had changed. People who saw a video about MineTest on YouTube would then get very confused when they went looking for it.

I dislike the name. But I consider it to be only a minor issue, and WAY to late to change it.
You hit the nail right on the head. I do believe it is a bit late to change the name to something else.
Nope!

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

There have been many instances, successful instances, of a product changing its name.

The continued use of Minetest as a name will forever continue the comparisons to the other product.

I would argue that framing Minetest as a game or game engine, or making any comparison to MC when introducing Minetest is what sets the misconception in peoples mind from the beginning.

Minetest is a 4D programmable voxel engine. It is not limited to the hard coded yet moddable Minecraft game idea. It can be used to make a better Minecraft. It can be used to make a simulator. It can be used as a GIS tool. It can be used as an AI tool. It has so much more potential than that other product, which is NOT a competitor.

As long as we in the community continue to even think of comparing one to the other, we exacerbate the issue.

In my view, MC and MT are apples and oranges. Or better yet, MC is JUST a game. MT is a powerful tool.

Shad

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 19:13
Strange. You say it does the job after having noted twice that it is too close to MC so it generates a lot of confusion.
Ah, I wasn't clear. I mean I have no problems with the name personally--I don't dislike it on purely aesthetic grounds, and it does the job as a name for us in the community who already know about Minetest and understand why it isn't Minecraft.

The reason I wrote that paragraph was was to say that renaming isn't for our benefit, since we are already accustomed to it; renaming is all a matter of finding a name that isn't confusing and has appeal to people unfamiliar with Minetest. I think that asking "What do you have against the name Minetest?" is a misunderstanding of the issue--I don't have anything against it. It just causes misunderstandings.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Wilderness
GitHub: Wilderness7272
In-game: Wilderness7272+Last_Laugh

by Wilderness » Post

v-rob wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 22:07
I think that asking "What do you have against the name Minetest?" is a misunderstanding of the issue--I don't have anything against it. It just causes misunderstandings.
But some people say that they don't like the name 'Minetest' either, for example:
Kilarin wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 17:50
Nope, but I don't like Minetest either. :)

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I guess I'm the weirdo in this thread now, but I prefer Minetest over everything that has been suggested here and I really hope it sticks :-) I guess I've gotten really used to it, but it'd be terrible (from my perspective, at least) to see Minetest under any other name.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

I have to agree with those who've said that the name Minetest, while it does have brand recognition among some, is better off if it can find a name that is definitively better. Having to introduce Minetest to people, the reaction I get out of people is probably they think it sounds like some stuck-in-beta, early development kind of project.

I've already stated my proposal for a new name on GitHub: Minet. Pronunciation? Minette, Mine-T or Minay? I'm not sure - maybe that's part of the fun like Mese. Minet currently is higher but not the highest rating in terms of thumbs up and thumbs up ratio. I'm sure there are probably better ones.

Following design principles and a proper design and review process I think is more important than direct democracy here. I think names with "Voxel" are inappropriate because Minetest has a lot of meshes and other drawtypes than normal, and it doesn't use voxel technology in actuality. Names without "Mine-" prefixes are probably better because they try to distinguish the game from Minecraft. I'm neutral about the idea of foreign language words. Also good to have is something that flows well off the tongue.

My tongue-in-cheek suggestion for today is now that Minetest has reached a certain level of maturity, it can move from Minetest to Minestaging and eventually to Minerelease.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

CalebJ wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 00:36
I guess I'm the weirdo in this thread now, but I prefer Minetest over everything that has been suggested here and I really hope it sticks :-) I guess I've gotten really used to it, but it'd be terrible (from my perspective, at least) to see Minetest under any other name.
You're wrong about being the only one that likes Minetest as a name.

I like your signature!
Nope!

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

Same energy: Image
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

CalebJ wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 00:36
You're not a weirdo, lots of people, including myself agree with you.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Along the same lines of creating a word that describes the "voxel" space, mesh included, I propose one of the two following:

Bloxel, a 4D programmable voxel.

Or

Doxel, a 4D programmable voxel. Less about the block voxel, inclusive of mesh, and yet, a 4D programmable point.

Shad

Blocky_Player
GitHub: Blocky-Player
In-game: mr_block

by Blocky_Player » Post

First off, changing the name of a game that has already had some media influence will make people lost when they look for the old name. The names I have seen right now aren't very...namey.

Napiophelios: "It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue".

I know it probably sounds terrible, but here's my suggestion: Partula (a mix of Latin words for create and play)

I do have to agree that 'Minetest' makes the game feel unfinished, but maybe that's the point? Minetest is not finished and it never will be, Minetest is a base for modding. 'Minetest' sorta motivates me to add things because it is so lacking (even though that's the point).
Blocky_Player | My prized Minetest packages Epic Combat| More Stones| Happy Land

Blocky_Player

by Blocky_Player » Post

Last edited by Blocky_Player on Sat May 27, 2023 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Blocky_Player | My prized Minetest packages Epic Combat| More Stones| Happy Land

Blocky_Player

by Blocky_Player » Post

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

Blocky_Player wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 00:54
I do have to agree that 'Minetest' makes the game feel unfinished, but maybe that's the point? Minetest is not finished and it never will be, Minetest is a base for modding. 'Minetest' sorta motivates me to add things because it is so lacking (even though that's the point).
You really hit the nail straight on! I agree with you for sure.
Nope!

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Blocky_Player wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 00:58
@Blocky_Player

Are you a fake? I don't see a GitHub account named Blocky_Player even though it's linked with your profile.

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

No matter if @Blocky_Player is fake or not, he brought up a good point.

Also, @SuperStarSonic, I would not judge him. Maybe he thought filing in his GitHub account was required when he signed up, even though he may not have one and it isn't required.
Although, being on your toes is a good practice.

Blocky_Player

by Blocky_Player » Post

If I pinch myself, it hurts. I assure you, I am real. About the Github, my mistake. I should put a - instead of _

Blocky_Player

by Blocky_Player » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 17:40

It is a programmable voxel engine. To that I propose the new word

Proxel = Programmable Voxel

Thoughts on this concept are welcome.

Shad
I like that name but to me it sounds like Proxel is not FOSS.

Also, a solution to the problem of what newcomers see when they first open Minetest (a bare and lacking game) why not ship 2 subgames? One called Minetest and the other could be a random subgame from ContentDB, or a subgame to show how powerful Minetest can be (like the Rubenwardy modding book but in an actual subgame - a tutorial or showcase).

Just throwing it out there

Unacceptium_core
GitHub: Unacceptium
IRC: same as ingame names
In-game: unacceptium or unbihexium or ununennium or unbiquadium

by Unacceptium_core » Post

for me, proxel sounds good. and isn't devtest packed with the game? on pc, it is. devtest is showing a lot of possibilities of the engine.
🇭🇺-i play on android! Metrotest map

Blocky_Player

by Blocky_Player » Post

Disagree. Devtest doesn't show much of what is capable. It is even more minimal than Minetest.

Unacceptium_core
GitHub: Unacceptium
IRC: same as ingame names
In-game: unacceptium or unbihexium or ununennium or unbiquadium

by Unacceptium_core » Post

oh i dont known that
🇭🇺-i play on android! Metrotest map

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

OpenMined

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

runs wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 13:34
Ninety percent of the people want change.
In the "3 reasons to *not* rename Minetest" thread,

21% Of people want the name Minetest to be changed,
68% Do not want the name Minetest to be changed and
11% Are Neutral'.
These are the numbers how they are so far, they may change.

In other words, you seem to be lying. Wherever that number came from, it was not talking about people wanting to change the name Minetest to something else. That number '90%' could possibly be talking about people wanting things to change outside of this topic, but not within.

There were a few other things that you said in this thread that seemed like lies to me If they were only mistakes, please take extra time in the future to be sure that you are correct before you make a post.

Since few people want the name 'Minetest' to change, I think it is time to drop this idea.
It was only a 'proposal' in the first place.

Thanks,

Wilderness.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:proxel
I still think it's too late to change the name, but that one is not half bad.