help learning the game.

comfort80

help learning the game.

by comfort80 » Post

Just found this in my panic at the news of Microsoft purchasing Mojang.
I play MCPE on my Kindle fire HDX, Samsung S5, and my son plays on his Note tablet.
is there a place to find the controls for Android?
i have searched and searched, but maybe using the wrong search terms.
i figured out how to walk and jump and break stuff, but don't know how to fly, or add mods.
also what is the thing at the bottom right that looks like an upside down house, it doesnt seem to do anything?

LemonLake
GitHub: Lemmmy
IRC: Lemmmy
In-game: Lemmmy

Re: help learning the game.

by LemonLake » Post

Flying
Flying can be accomplished by double tapping the jump button. In order to do this, however, you require the fly priv. This is accomplished by granting your user said privilege with the /grant chatcommand (/grant user priv). For example in Singleplayer: /grant singleplayer fly

Mods
Mods are installed exactly the same as how they are installed on the PC version of the game. Acquire a mod zip from the mod database or the forums, extract it into the minetest/mods/ folder and rename it to the appropriate name. This name is usually found in square brackets in the forum title. E.g. pipeworks-master >> pipeworks

'Little upside down house button'
I don't see a house icon anywhere on the screen. What build are you using? I'm running 'Minetest-0.4.10-android-armeabi.apk'.

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

where do i type this?
LemonLake wrote:Flying
Flying can be accomplished by double tapping the jump button. In order to do this, however, you require the fly priv. This is accomplished by granting your user said privilege with the /grant chatcommand (/grant user priv). For example in Singleplayer: /grant singleplayer fly
LemonLake wrote:'Little upside down house button'
I don't see a house icon anywhere on the screen. What build are you using? I'm running 'Minetest-0.4.10-android-armeabi.apk'.
i'm using the same version, its to the left of what i'm assuming is the jump button ( a circle inside a circle) as i jump when i press it.

to work the mods, i don't have the PC version, yet...

LemonLake

by LemonLake » Post

comfort80 wrote:where do i type this?
LemonLake wrote:Flying
LemonLake wrote:'Little upside down house button'
i'm using the same version, its to the left of what i'm assuming is the jump button ( a circle inside a circle) as i jump when i press it.

to work the mods, i don't have the PC version, yet...
In the chat.
A circle in a circle? That's the jump button.
The PC version is not necessary, however it may help looking at some tutorials; one is on the wiki.
My mods folder is located at /sdcard/Minetest/mods/, if this helps. An example structure would be:
/sdcard/Minetest/mods/factory/init.lua
/sdcard/Minetest/mods/pipeworks/init.lua
etc

Edit That button is the crouch button. It also makes you fly downward.

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

Got it!

Thanks so much!

The mod "store" text is garbled on my kindlw. I'll have to look at it more when i'm not working.

I read mobs are only available as a mod, is this correct?

Will have to check the tutorials at home as well, YouTube is blocked at work unless it's an embedded video.

Thanks again for the help!

LemonLake

by LemonLake » Post

comfort80 wrote:Got it!

Thanks so much!

The mod "store" text is garbled on my kindlw. I'll have to look at it more when i'm not working.

I read mobs are only available as a mod, is this correct?

Will have to check the tutorials at home as well, YouTube is blocked at work unless it's an embedded video.

Thanks again for the help!
That is correct. There are many mob mods, so it may be worth comparing them at some point. It's quicker to do this on the PC however it's certainly possible on 'droid.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

*opens up minetest for android*

hmm...

That upside down house thing might be the inverted triangle (on smaller devices) to the left of the squiggy circle (jump button). If so, then the triangle/house button is the Shift key on Minetest PC, which is Sneak. Sneak makes you walk slower, and prevents you from falling off blocks when held down.

To fly around in game, grant the needed priviledges ("privs") to the player by entering the commands in the chat. The chat button is in the top right. Type in

Code: Select all

/grant singleplayer all 
to grant yourself all privs in singleplayer mode

Unfortunately, you need to relaunch the world if you want to switch fly off/on.

you can set time of day by using /time 6000 for 6am and /time 23000 for 11 pm

Hope you enjoy the game =D

Also Lemon, double tapping jump to fly is MCPE. =/

EDIT: Ninja'd. Dammit Lemons.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

thanks!
i was going to ask about the time as well.

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

LemonLake wrote:That is correct. There are many mob mods, so it may be worth comparing them at some point. It's quicker to do this on the PC however it's certainly possible on 'droid.
if i download on pc, can i copy and paste to my mods folder on my android?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

comfort80 wrote:if i download on pc, can i copy and paste to my mods folder on my android?
Yes, if you do it correct, they will be compatible.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

You're not limited to singleplayer/local game with the Anroid client. You can also connect to servers and play there the same way as you'd do with a desktop client. Servers with plenty of mods installed may be too much for a tablet's hardware; vanilla-like servers will generally work.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I think in the options you can tell Minetest to turn on fly mode with double tap? It is not on by default as far I can tell.
I am confused. Maybe it’s not possible in the android build? Whatever.

Here is some generic advice for you, comfort80:
A starting place to learn Minetest is the community wiki, which can be found here:
http://wiki.minetest.net/Main_Page
There is also a “Getting Started” guide. I especially recommend you to read the gameplay section of it, because Minetest has many quirks and differences which may not be obvious to a former Minecraft player.

After you used Minetest and the community wiki for a while, I would be glad if you took part in this little survey about the wiki, as found in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7597

I also write some stuff for this wiki and want to know if it is actually newbie-friendly so I can help fixing it if that is not the case.

Oh, and sorry, Minetest has no built-in tutorial right now. All we have is only external help in form of a wiki and maybe some random videos I am too lazy to search for right now. xD

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

You can enable the "double tap space for fly" in the "keys configure" menu of your minetest, it's a checkbox

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Oh, and sorry, Minetest has no built-in tutorial right now. All we have is only external help in form of a wiki and maybe some random videos I am too lazy to search for right now. xD
there is basically zero help for the Android version, i don't have a decent PC right now to test the PC version, you should put in the getting started tab, the ways to play via android, and its all screen based, no keyboard.
i could only break some wood, make wooden tools, and there i am stuck again as i cannot figure out how to break stone.

maybe its glitchy on the kindle fire hdx, but thats all i have to play on right now.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

comfort80 wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Oh, and sorry, Minetest has no built-in tutorial right now. All we have is only external help in form of a wiki and maybe some random videos I am too lazy to search for right now. xD
there is basically zero help for the Android version, i don't have a decent PC right now to test the PC version, you should put in the getting started tab, the ways to play via android, and its all screen based, no keyboard.
i could only break some wood, make wooden tools, and there i am stuck again as i cannot figure out how to break stone.

maybe its glitchy on the kindle fire hdx, but thats all i have to play on right now.
You need to have a basic wooden pickaxe to break stone. This is a gameplay feature in the vanilla Minetest game.

To craft a wooden pickaxe, mine some wood, then put one wood in your crafting grid to get four wooden planks. Put on wooden plank in the grid again to get four wooden sticks. Now, put a stick each in the center and bottom center grid, and three planks across the top of the grid. You'll get a wooden pickaxe.

P P P
X S X
X S X

P = plank; S = stick; X = nothing

See http://wiki.minetest.net/Pickaxe

I'm in the process of making a proper Minetest Manual, however, the wiki (http://wiki.minetest.net/Main_Page) is good enough for basic stuff, for now.
Last edited by hoodedice on Mon Sep 22, 2014 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

comfort80

by comfort80 » Post

I have the derp. That was all on me. Wasn't trying the pickaxe. Didn't get that far. So used to minecraft. I tried everything but the pickaxe.

Johnyknowhow
In-game: Minetestian

by Johnyknowhow » Post

The android controls are quite buggy, I would highly suggest playing on a PC, playing on any mobile device after I use a PC drives me insane...

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

comfort80 wrote: I don't have a decent PC right now to test the PC version
Minetest doesn't requires a decent PC, with more than 256 mb of ram, you can still play it in vanilla.

Johnyknowhow

by Johnyknowhow » Post

Dragonop wrote:
Minetest doesn't requires a decent PC, with more than 256 mb of ram, you can still play it in vanilla.
Exactly.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

I really wish there was an iOS version, I plan on getting an iPod Touch soon.
Why do blocks dissappear and reapppear occasionaly?
EDIT 1: Just sayin, you might wanna get some mods because the world is axlmost empty. I suggest the following
Creatures - Gives you a few Minecraft-like mobs, including Zombies. I would suggest the Animals Modpack because it has even more animals than Minecraft but Vombie generation at night may slow you down.
Weather - adds snow and rain. I am thinking about getting a rain mod and a snow mod because it ccan't em to stop snowing but they are way to laggy to use right now.
Peaceful NPC - Gives you some nice friendly NPCs.

One question; are worlds created on PC compatible with the Android version and vice versa.
I test mines.

MaxPower

by MaxPower » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:One question; are worlds created on PC compatible with the Android version and vice versa.
I can use the android version to connect to the PC server

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

One more thing. Get a lightweight game. I just started using RPI and am wondering why I didnt before. It can double your fps speed.
I test mines.

Johnyknowhow

by Johnyknowhow » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:I really wish there was an iOS version, I plan on getting an iPod Touch soon.
Why do blocks dissappear and reapppear occasionaly?
EDIT 1: Just sayin, you might wanna get some mods because the world is axlmost empty. I suggest the following
Creatures - Gives you a few Minecraft-like mobs, including Zombies. I would suggest the Animals Modpack because it has even more animals than Minecraft but Vombie generation at night may slow you down.
Weather - adds snow and rain. I am thinking about getting a rain mod and a snow mod because it ccan't em to stop snowing but they are way to laggy to use right now.
Peaceful NPC - Gives you some nice friendly NPCs.

One question; are worlds created on PC compatible with the Android version and vice versa.
There actually is a few IOS versions developed by the same jerk developer.
They go under the names of Buildcraft, Worldcraft, etc. I'm not sure who the dev is but they give no mention to minetest, and the controls are so bad, in some of these ios games you cant even split stacks.
I highly don't recommend using these, as they don't give reference to Minetest, and your supporting a developer trying to claim Minetest is his own game. I'm not exactly sure if this is illegal or what, but its flat out wrong.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

So what do I do? I definately dont was to shell out ten bux for Minecraft... and I would be a traitor XD
I test mines.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Dragonop wrote:
My cheap android tablet runs BFD at 12fps using stus client, surprisingly, it still works mostly.