Quickest way in and out of a mine?

Magz_builder

Quickest way in and out of a mine?

by Magz_builder » Post

Hello all,

What's your solutions to getting in and out of a mine quickly? I'm mining at around 600 nodes deep at the moment, but I frequently want to get back to the surface, so I can dump my exploits, as well as stock up on wood for new tools/torches. But I noticed that it is starting to take quite a while to climb up and down. My mine is basically a straight staircase (one node down, one node forward).

Personally, I enjoy playing the game without stuff like flying/teleporting. Makes it more a challenge... but having said that, climbing 600 nodes is a little boring when you have to do it several times per hour.

How do you deal with this? Try to fall down (into water?)? Teleport?

jojoa1997

Re: Quickest way in and out of a mine?

by jojoa1997 » Post

Use a ladder system. If you play with the "fast" privilege then holding the action button and moving on a ladder is really quick but careful because you will get fall damage if you don't stop in time.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

We need carts that can actually be loaded with stuff.

I dont care for using them (carts) as vehicles much,
but if you could load up a few carts and push them to the surface
that mod would actually be 1000x more useful for mining.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Build yourself a sneak elevator. It's cheap (free even). You can fall down it in bursts and hit the sneak button to brake from time to time to keep from hitting the bottom. Going up is blazing fast and takes no thought.

Mine straight down two blocks wide. On one wide wall dig out every other block as you go down.
XO
OX
XO
OX
XO
OX

Going up is simply the sneak button (SHIFT) and the space bar. *Vrooooooooom*
Down... just jump in and fall. Sneak button to hit the brakes.

Kinda fun :D

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I make sure I have lots of tree with me and set up a work station in the mine. I smelt all the ore and make it into blocks so there isn't as much to carry. I make chest's and put the cobble in them. I don't care a whole lot about the cobble.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Napiophelios wrote:We need carts that can actually be loaded with stuff.
The technic mod has them if i remember correctly.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

mushroom pore from ethereal negates fall damage.
place some at the bottom and jump down. it's 100% safe (unlike water).
to get back use the /sethome and /home commands.

if your mineshaft is a stair, you might want to replace the stone blocks with stairs. (cobble is the cheapest).
you can walk up and down without using the jump key.

if you have the travelnet mod installed, carry a travelnetbox in your inventory.
place it, go home, fill your chests, return, pick up the box and go on.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Magz_builder

by Magz_builder » Post

Thanks for all the feedback.

What is 'mushroom pore from ethereal'? Is it part of the regular mod (the one that is installed standard)?

I'm building a staircase, but it appears that this is quite a bit of work too, and I am not yet convinced that its construction is worth the time and material investment. I actually need all the cobble that I dig, because of a stupidly large project that I have on the surface.

The best advice for me (with my current playing style) is to just bring more supplies, and to melt ores into blocks while down in the mine. Basically, reduce the travel time by going up and down less frequently.

Thanks again!

LazerRay
GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Post

My quickest way in and out of mines is using the Compass GPS mod, I set a point in my house for returning then set or move way-points as needed in my mine shafts or in huge cave systems.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

The best type of mine is where you just dig a shaft straight down, since it's easy, quick (to reach the depth to find valuable ores), and the entire shaft is lit up by the sunlight. just make sure there are NO opaque blocks above the tunnel, or else it won't work. You can even use Travelnet elevators to go up and down, or use a sneak elevator I guess.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

What is 'mushroom pore from ethereal'? Is it part of the regular mod (the one that is installed standard)?
ethereal is a mod by Tenplus1 that brings a set of fantasy styled biomes into mapgen v7.
viewtopic.php?id=7656
one of them is the "Mushroom Biome" where you can find giant mushrooms instead of trees.
inside the cap of those mushrooms you can find the mushroom pore.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

You could also use water, I think. Maybe even have a stream of water running along one side of your mineshaft, so you don't have to keep placing ladders.(this might flood the hole though, so IDK.

Code: Select all

SW S
SW S
(side view)
S=stone
W=water
=air

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I prefer two ways:

1) Elevators
2) Ladder + Fast (only if 7 sticks >= 2 ladders)

It's annoying to get all the way up again without fast, so it would be helpful to have a spawn or home function.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Krock wrote:I prefer two ways:

1) Elevators
2) Ladder + Fast (only if 7 sticks >= 2 ladders)

It's annoying to get all the way up again without fast, so it would be helpful to have a spawn or home function.
I almost never climb back out of mines, I either /home or /spawn, or I use elevators (that's why vertical mineshafts are so great!)

bdjnk
GitHub: bdjnk

by bdjnk » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Build yourself a sneak elevator. It's cheap (free even). You can fall down it in bursts and hit the sneak button to brake from time to time to keep from hitting the bottom. Going up is blazing fast and takes no thought.

Mine straight down two blocks wide. On one wide wall dig out every other block as you go down.
XO
OX
XO
OX
XO
OX

I knew there was this thing called a 'sneak elevator,' but hadn't seen a clear explanation. Thanks!

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Build yourself a sneak elevator. It's cheap (free even). You can fall down it in bursts and hit the sneak button to brake from time to time to keep from hitting the bottom. Going up is blazing fast and takes no thought.

XO
OX
XO
OX
XO
OX

Kinda fun :D
you can do this in a one block wide space, if the gravity is low enough (like with moontest).

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

You don't have to put the blocks on a flat face like in exterdad's example, but you can move the right side forwards one block and it won't take up as much space. Like so:

Back from the dead!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I usually dig straight down, with some additional holes from time to time (at diffrent heights) to get a sneak elevator for braking. As soon as inventory, craft grid and bags are filled with material, /home teleports me to my chests. Finding back to the entrance of a complex cave system won't work anyway - I've given up on that. And returning to the bottom of the mine works by jumping into the shaft and pressing shift from time to time. The in-built partial sneak elevators allow me to reduce speed and land safely somewhere down. If the server has mobs installed, some mobs may fall on my head. Or I on theirs.
A list of my mods can be found here.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

The moontest server is really awesome, because you can build sneak elevators with larger gaps between the holes, and also if you hold the run button while climbing a ladder, you'll shoot up really high.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I just made a mod that you might like. It is called mymineshaft.
You can make the shaft and place it in a vertical hole. You can go fast up and down the shaft. If you hit the bottom going fast you will not get hurt.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11564
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Magz_builder

by Magz_builder » Post

Those of you who dig straight down: How do you deal with the lava lakes and caverns? It would appear to me that if you just dig straight down, you'll eventually remove the last stone and plunge into a large empty cavern, or worse, into a lava pool?

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Magz_builder wrote:Those of you who dig straight down: How do you deal with the lava lakes and caverns? It would appear to me that if you just dig straight down, you'll eventually remove the last stone and plunge into a large empty cavern, or worse, into a lava pool?
If you are digging down while creating a sneak elevator, you hold SHIFT (sneak). You will not fall.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Magz_builder wrote:Those of you who dig straight down: How do you deal with the lava lakes and caverns? It would appear to me that if you just dig straight down, you'll eventually remove the last stone and plunge into a large empty cavern, or worse, into a lava pool?
And often on servers you have 2 home positions: the one of unified inventory and the /home

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪