What's your building style?

PolySaken

GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: What's your building style?

by PolySaken » Mon Mar 12, 2018 06:16

I build like a worm on PvP servers, by tunneling with tnt.

on creative servers i build medieval castles with cannons and stuff

AspireMint

GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17

building size = odd number (important x))
you cant see through building (windows(or doors) on front side and back side = bad idea)
almost realistic, small houses, no floating things
mess in storage room/cellar
awkwards signs
no locked doors (i let people explore every corner)
no traps
green garden
no big rooms (hard to decorate)
decorations - like in MT 0.3 (slabs, stairs..)
trying to build something new (building or decoration), never (knowingly) copying building
hmm thats all, i guess

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 17:25

builds are wired and messy with many rooms and floors, cellars, a lot of deco, chest and stuff. Every house is unique (and messier than the last one!).

Phoenixflo44

In-game: Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 17:47

I actually build in modern and old style. So from old-fashioned to futuristic style.If I understood correctly.
+ Spoiler

Buddler

Location: Sometimes Redwood Island, sometimes Chillville, otherwise Germany
In-game: Buddler

by Buddler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10

My single-player, non-creative style is "pretty, but functional and halfway realistic" and often adapted to the landscape. Usually, my first building consists entirely of wood. That is, if I've got lots of baked clay, I prefer that as a building material.

When playing without fallen_nodes, I sometimes dispose of my cobblestone by building castles, occasionally even water castles with adjacent "flying gardens" (to have a place to dump my dirt and seeds).

On public servers, I try to soup my buildings up some more without making them too humongous, not even on creative servers with fly privilege. And buildings always have to look like what they shall serve as (station building looking like station buildings etc.). I usually only use cobble as pavement.

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 21:16

The art of building without building..., actually whatever I build, it ends up realistic.

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Fri Mar 23, 2018 04:23

My buildings range from houses to high-rises, but most are inspired by modern American architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van Der Rohe are two of my heroes). My favourite styles are prairie, international, and art deco. I always try to maintain a proper sense of scale and realism across my builds. However, due to the inherent limitations of a voxel world, I sometimes have to be inventive in order to properly simulate the visual aesthetic.

When it comes to public infrastructure like roadways, subways, parks, etc., I often incorporate elements from real-world civil engineering projects. My number one source of inspiration when it comes to city planning is Daniel Burnham who was responsible for the world-renowned 1909 Plan of Chicago. I rely on many of his principles for designing cities or undertaking large-scale urban developments.

LRV

In-game: Mooncarman Moonvehicleman LunarRovingVehicle LRV Mooncarguy

by LRV » Fri Mar 23, 2018 18:09

I built towers. They are from bricks or cobble, have logs or cobble fence in the edges and an opening to shoot down. Except for that I pretty much see someone and then I copy the build and change it a little.
LRV wrote:
LRV wrote:I got another food mod xtraarmor, of course a customleather item needs to be added, but the chainmaila nd leather armor would be pretty fitting.

Why is there food in my sentence? XD

Why didn't my siganture show up completly til' I did that?

orwell

GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 19:00

Hm, depends on what I build...

Tree-Houses
When I build a treehouse, I more or less convert the tree into a house. To see what comes out look on Linuxworks NG or Hirnfrei(incomplete).
Only some trees are suitable for my tree houses: Sequoias, Redwoods, and the Moretrees jungle trees. Often I look for a group of 2 or 3 of them.
I start building a wood floor on top of the wood nodes that make up a branch, following the leaves roughly. At every corner I place a pillar of log blocks, in between I either put leaves or wood (depends on what looks better). A room is 3 nodes high.
The ground on the next floor again depends on the leaves. If the leaves spread out more far than the floor below has a ceiling, the next floor will hang over, if they are retracting compared to the floor below, I build a balcony.
Sometimes I leave leaves where they are, so that the structure still resembles a tree.

Normal buildings
The outer walls of buildings I build are often made of 2 materials: 1 to create pillars with 4 nodes distance between them, and another to fill the 4*3 space between the pillars and the floor/ceiling. When I add a ceiling, its nodes are sometimes visible on the outside, and the ceiling material is mostly the same as the pillar material
Those buildings are regular houses or public buildings such as a library.
My roofs are mainly made of desert sandstone stairs in standard 45° angle, but especially on buildings that are both long and wide, I tend to build flat tops with 4-5 nodes wide slopes at the edge. The linuxworks library has an archive below the roof.

Apart from that, I mostly build infrastructure (streets, railways) on the Linuxworks NG server.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

lightseer

by lightseer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 02:58

I am new to voxel gaming. If I build something and do not like it I often will destroy it. I have rebuilt things several times before, but not everything gets rebuilt. If I like something I will leave it. I aim for it to be useful and interesting to visitors. I'm not an artist and do not have a lot of talent for making things look like real things, so I aim for fun. I like water sources, teleports, jumps, beauty. I dug straight down and used protection blocks to create a mining tour going straight down through a lava lake. I like when people can look down and see an entire spawn area from up high, and I like PvP arena design. Sometime maybe I will build a PvP arena.

Buddler

by Buddler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48

orwell wrote:Hm, depends on what I build...

Tree-Houses
When I build a treehouse, I more or less convert the tree into a house. To see what comes out look on Linuxworks NG or Hirnfrei(incomplete).

Speaking of tree houses, when I encounter a redwood tree, I can rarely resist hollowing it out and making it a literal "tree house". I've done that on Linuxworks NG.

I always make sure that the outer layer remains largely intact save for one door or window per side and floor, so no panorama windows or balconies with big openings in the tree. Space per floor is limited, you only get 8m² per floor in the trunk and even these only if you use a ladder or something similar to get to the higher floors, but above the ground floor (which can be made bigger), you can carve out five three-block-high floors before the trunk gets too thin.

The downside is a whole lot of wear on your axe(s). The upside is that you don't need any materials beyond those for your tools, and you end up with a whole lot of redwood tree blocks (28 for each of the upper floors, 32 including four small windows, and the ground floor gets you even more). I got so many that I used them as snazzy pavement on my farm.

Of course, you may prefer to look for (or grow your own) pairs of redwood trees with their trunks touching for more floor space.

orwell

GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Fri Mar 30, 2018 17:12

Buddler wrote:
orwell wrote:Hm, depends on what I build...

Tree-Houses

Speaking of tree houses, when I encounter a redwood tree, I can rarely resist hollowing it out and making it a literal "tree house". I've done that on Linuxworks NG.

Where exactly?
But right, those redwoods are nice.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Buddler

by Buddler » Sat Apr 07, 2018 19:39

That'd be on Redwood Island, not too far from the station (the station building was actually the first real building I've created on that server). It isn't hard to find, it's right between a sea channel and a fresh water lake, and it has got a big farm next to it.

Also, at night, it's the only redwood that kind of glows in the dark.

Previous

Return to General Discussion