Define new keys with mod?

mrf

Define new keys with mod?

by mrf » Sun May 24, 2015 19:35

Howdy,

Is it possible to define a new key mapping using a mod? A specific example: I would like to add a self-destruct key to the game. When the key is pressed, my character dies immediately. I don't want this functionality attached to any thing in the world and I do want it globally available to all players. I would also like a key mapping that reduces health each time it is pressed. (This could be a preferred alternative to the instantaneous self-destruct key.)

Thx-mrf

prestidigitator

Re: Define new keys with mod?

by prestidigitator » Sun May 24, 2015 21:05

Not generally. There's exactly one key which isn't used by the engine and typically isn't used by tools/mods. It's the "use/aux1" key, usually mapped to 'E' on the keyboard. You'd also have to poll for whether the key is currently depressed or not, because there are no events delivered.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Sun May 24, 2015 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun May 24, 2015 21:05

Edit. Deleted due to thinking wrong
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

mrf

by mrf » Sun May 24, 2015 21:53

OK, well that's sort of a relief. I've added 9 new keys to the game already, defining 10 different speeds. Those were easy since they were just extensions to the forward key. Adding the self-destruct key has been difficult and the whole time I've been experimenting I've had this nagging feeling I should be using a mod for it but I never saw anything in the modding API that made it look possible.
Then this afternoon I was hoping I could use a mod for it since that would have to be easier than what I'm doing.

oleastre

GitHub: oleastre
In-game: oleastre

by oleastre » Mon May 25, 2015 20:31

I remember reading some discussions about custom mappable keys... (but cannot remember where)

Something already asked here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/560

blert2112

GitHub: blert2112

by blert2112 » Wed May 27, 2015 14:49

Just asking...
Why not just register a new chat command to do this for you. Set it with a priv so it can be granted.
If you really need it bound to a single key there are many apps out there for key bindings (are they still called macros?). Mayhaps I am not understanding what you are trying to accomplish.

Return to General Discussion