How on Earth do you change your username for single player?

FreshMiner1
GitHub: FreshMiner1
IRC: FreshMiner1
In-game: Joshua

How on Earth do you change your username for single player?

by FreshMiner1 » Post

Is there any possible way to change your username for single player worlds? If so please tell me how to do it. Thank You...

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: How on Earth do you change your username for single play

by Krock » Post

Start the singleplayer world in the Server tab, this way you can use another username.
But note: The server mode allows other players in the network to join your world

I doupt editing the client is a solution for you, so I'll leave it away.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

zak1975
GitHub: zak1975
IRC: zak1975
In-game: zak1975

by zak1975 » Post

Why not editing minetest.conf with "name = myname"?
The description says: Name of player, on a server this is the main admin.

Edit: ok the name tag just works in multiplayer worlds. Some comments in minetest.conf.example should be more specific :-P

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

zak1975 wrote:Why not editing minetest.conf with "name = myname"?
The description says: Name of player, on a server this is the main admin.
This would have been nice if it worked.
When developing a mod that involves world generation it's very annoying to have to type"/grant singleplayer fly", "/grant singleplayer noclip", etc. every single time you create a new world and want to check the mapgen.
At least it would be faster to type if you could rename "singleplayer" to "p" or something like that.

Or default the grant command to the current player when only 1 argument is provided
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Ferk wrote:When developing a mod that involves world generation it's very annoying to have to type"/grant singleplayer fly", "/grant singleplayer noclip", etc.
/grant singleplayer all
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Krock wrote:/grant singleplayer all
Woh! Thanks, I didn't know that.
I'm still tempted to make a mod to alias that, though. "/gsa" or something like that would be so convenient.
[/off-topic, sorry]
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Andrii
In-game: Andrii

Re: How on Earth do you change your username for single player?

by Andrii » Post

/grantme all
cdb_49f2faab9c6b

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Please don't resurrect ancient topics; this is 9 years old.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Erdbeere

by Erdbeere » Post

All data is stored in a database. So get an editor for your database and change all the entries of your old username to the new one. I would try this on an extra world before I do it on the real one. https://wiki.minetest.net/Database_backends

Andarius68
GitHub: Andarius68
IRC: Andarius68
In-game: Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 01:08
Please don't resurrect ancient topics; this is 9 years old.
I know a lot of forums have rules against that but I don't clearly understand why that is exactly. If a topic still has relevance and people still have something to add to it what is the harm in resurrecting it? My understanding was that spammers would often hijack old topics to spread their spam and that was why a lot of forums didn't like to see old posts getting traffic again. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So I'm just asking, what is the reason that it's such an offensive thing to do?

Can someone explain?
Visit my sandbox gaming community for adults: Cianaodh Media

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Andarius68 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 21:46
I know a lot of forums have rules against that but I don't clearly understand why that is exactly. If a topic still has relevance and people still have something to add to it what is the harm in resurrecting it? My understanding was that spammers would often hijack old topics to spread their spam and that was why a lot of forums didn't like to see old posts getting traffic again. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So I'm just asking, what is the reason that it's such an offensive thing to do?

Can someone explain?
It depends. In this case, some user (probably long gone, since they haven't logged on since 2015) needed help on something, and they may or may not have gotten the help they needed. Nine years later, someone else comes along and gives a new answer. This isn't helpful because nobody needed that help, and now an irrelevant ancient topic has been brought back to the front of the forum.

If a current player needed help, that's a fine reason to resurrect an old topic, or to start a new topic. I won't complain if there's a good reason to resurrect the topic, even if it's from 2012. But in general, we want productive discussions, and giving unhelpful help on old topics where nobody needs help does nothing useful. It's not offensive per se, but it does get annoying for regular forum readers.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Andarius68
GitHub: Andarius68
IRC: Andarius68
In-game: Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 22:35

It depends. In this case, some user (probably long gone, since they haven't logged on since 2015) needed help on something, and they may or may not have gotten the help they needed. Nine years later, someone else comes along and gives a new answer. This isn't helpful because nobody needed that help, and now an irrelevant ancient topic has been brought back to the front of the forum.

If a current player needed help, that's a fine reason to resurrect an old topic, or to start a new topic. I won't complain if there's a good reason to resurrect the topic, even if it's from 2012. But in general, we want productive discussions, and giving unhelpful help on old topics where nobody needs help does nothing useful. It's not offensive per se, but it does get annoying for regular forum readers.
I get where you are coming from and it's a valid point. But only if you see the forum's only purpose as being a place to get help in the event of a problem. Admittedly that's probably the biggest purpose of it but it's also a place to build community and get conversations going among those who love and are interested in Minetest.

I know I was reading awhile back on a thread or two in which some people were lamenting the fact that so many people these days are leaving forums behind and going to discord or irc or one of the other chat clients for help. I didn't chime in on those threads and maybe I should have because one strength I see that the forum has that those places do not is prominence in search engine results. Often when I am looking for a solution to something Minetest related I head to Google and type in "Minetest <bla bla bla>" . Sometimes the wiki comes up, sometimes ContentDB pops to the top, depending on what I'm searching up. But more often than not it's this forum or the subreddit for Minetest on Reddit that has my answers or at least relevant discussion.

I never see discord in those results or irc or any other chat sources. But I see this forum a lot. I guess my point is, the poster who commented on the old thread might have gotten there via a search on their search engine of choice and without realizing the age of the thread decided to respond. Sure, maybe it's annoying to some people at times. But.. it keeps conversation going. Someone else who may have forgotten about the thread also thought of something to say on the topic.

Discussion builds community.
Visit my sandbox gaming community for adults: Cianaodh Media