Hard time setting up a server

PureTryOut
GitHub: PureTryOut
IRC: PureTryOut
In-game: PureTryOut

Hard time setting up a server

by PureTryOut » Post

Hey all, this is my first time experimenting with Minetest.
Using Ubuntu 14.04 and minetest-server installed from the official repositories, I can succesfully start a server using

Code: Select all

minetestserver --info
However this defaults to the worldname "world" and gameid "minetest". I tried changing it to different worlds with the "--worldname" option, but it just tells me the world is not found. Same applies to the gameid.

I also tried some mods (Technic and requirements, Weather, and Carts), but did not get them to run succesfully either. The wiki tells me to place them in "$HOME/.minetest/mods", however they do not load from there. They do load if I place them in "$HOME/.minetest/worlds/world/worldmods/" (so on a per world basis, which is prefferable I guess), but that means it won't load them the first time the world is created, so it won't generate ores that are added.

So TL;DR: How do I change the default gameid, and worldname when running the server? And how do I load mods when the server runs the first time?
Also, the Technic mod plus it's dependencies crash, but I guess that is for a different thread.

Also, after installing Minetest from the official Ubuntu repo's, it did not create any config files for me, at all. "$HOME/.minetest" was only created after running the server once, but I could also not find an example config file in "/var/" or in "/etc/": I had to take it from the Github repository.

EDIT: So I'm now able to succesfully load mods from "$HOME/.minetest/mods" by modifying world.mt. However, because this file gets created after generating the world, I'm still afraid ores added by mods will not be generated.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: Hard time setting up a server

by Don » Post

Inside your world folder make a folder called worldmods. Put your mods in there.

To start your server run this in your terminal

~/minetest/bin/./minetestserver  --world ~/.minetest/worlds/worldname
If you have a separate config file for the server then put the config file in the world folder and add this to the above command

--config ~/.minetest/worlds/worldname/minetest.conf
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

PureTryOut
GitHub: PureTryOut
IRC: PureTryOut
In-game: PureTryOut

by PureTryOut » Post

Don wrote:Inside your world folder make a folder called worldmods. Put your mods in there.
Well like I said, I did that, but I'm not entirely sure it's the good way to go for mods that require ores and blocks to be generated with the world. Also, I now just put all mods in 1 directory "$HOME/.minetest/mods" and load them selectively per world by editing "$HOME/.minetest/worlds/worldname/world.mt". This works fine, and in my opinion better.
Don wrote: To start your server run this in your terminal
As I installed it via the Ubuntu repositories, I have no folder "minetest/bin". I just launch it directly since it's in my path.
Don wrote:

--world ~/.minetest/worlds/worldname
Does that actually create a new world? I saw that after giving no arguments to minetestserver (as it was not in the man pages, please update it), and it seemed like it loaded a seperate world, but in "$HOME/.minetest/worlds" there was no extra world created.
Don wrote: If you have a separate config file for the server then put the config file in the world folder and add this to the above command

--config ~/.minetest/worlds/worldname/minetest.conf
I realize that, I just had no config file by default ;)

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Using a worldmods folder does the same as adding them to the world.mt file. The only difference is that it seperates your server mods from your regular mods. It also loads them automatically.

If you installed from the Ubuntu repo then you might have got an older version of minetest. I suggest you use either the latest stable version or the dev version. Here is a link for the latest dev version.

https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdev ... /+packages

This code only opens an existing world. If you have a world you want to use then just change "worldname" to the name of the world.

--world ~/.minetest/worlds/worldname
If you have an existing world called myserver then it would look like this

minetestserver --world ~/.minetest/worlds/myserver
The world myserver would be in home/.minetest/worlds/
I am not sure how to create a new world with this. I just create a world using minetest and then copy that world over to my server computer.

If you do not have a config file then minetest uses the default settings. You can also use a config file in the .minetest folder.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here