Simulating other games with Minetest

Neon

In-game: Neon

Simulating other games with Minetest

by Neon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 17:28

(( Brought over from the 0.4.13 discussion ))
kaadmy wrote:
bernman23 wrote:I think Mintest is just a clone of Minecraft that is free no matter how much you update [...] nearly indistinguishable from Minecraft other than it doesn't require Java to run.

This is not true, as Minetest is simply a sandbox game engine, it is not required to be like Minecraft, it just looks like it.
With your logic, you could say Minecraft is a clone of Pixel Guns 3D, Infiniminer, Ace of Spades, Dungeon Keeper, and Dwarf Fortress.

Speaking of Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress; has anyone put some thought into how one might get similar gameplay to those out of minetest?

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

Re: Simulating other games with Minetest

by Ferk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 18:17

It would be possible to turn my subgame, Dungeontest, into some dungeon-keeper inspired game.

I'm already adding tools for players in creative mode to edit the dungeon, I would have to find a way to enable creative mode in a "per-player" way.. then it would be possible for some players to be dungeon makers and others dungeon explorers.

I've been thinking about this idea for a long time.. it would be awesome to have something similar to The Castle Doctrine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhz-f3KQw2Q ...but with dungeons
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: Simulating other games with Minetest

by kaadmy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 18:24

For a while I was working on a class-and-team-based combat game...
I have so many ideas, but not enough time to implement them. If anybody has free time, I can release it for others to work with.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Return to General Discussion