Found an Opensource Mod database server

domtron vox
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

Found an Opensource Mod database server

by domtron vox » Post

Hi, it has been a while. D: So I play a game called Factorio, commercial Indi, and recently found out that a member of the community made a mod database for it, see http://www.factoriomods.com/ and https://github.com/Zequez/FactorioMods. It is quite nice and has all the basic functionality plus a really nice feature, linking each mod page to its forum topic. "Licensed under the CPAL-1.0 (the same license that Reddit uses, seemed like a good license for open sourcing web apps)." --from the github readme
  • front page: can select a specific version of the base software to find mods for.
  • front page: has a number of tags when searching for a mod
  • front page: has a search bar for mods also
  • mod page: supports multiple versions
  • mod page: can be linked to a forum topic for all the usage info and discussion.
Looks like the backend is Ruby. I have no clue what goes into setting it up or if stuff has been hardcoded for Factorio (tags, names, ect).

Looks like it is missing some features that would be nice like dependency list/packaging, forking, and modpacks. Also looks like there is a bug where entries are repeated when searching by tags.

I believe the core devs, of minetest, have said they don't want that kind of centralized system, but maybe someone else would like to use it.

Anyway, just putting it out there for anyone who might be interested.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: Found an Opensource Mod database server

by Calinou » Post

The design looks quite good. It's not entirely responsive though.
domtron vox wrote:"Licensed under the CPAL-1.0 (the same license that Reddit uses, seemed like a good license for open sourcing web apps)."
That is everything but true…

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

domtron vox wrote:I believe the core devs, of minetest, have said they don't want that kind of centralized system, but maybe someone else would like to use it..
Not true. You're thinking of centralised login systems. For downloading mods it's fine.

A brief history of mod stores for Minetest:

The first mod store was Minetest Extensions: viewtopic.php?id=2854
I wrote it in raw PHP. I was learning PHP and web development at that time, so the code was a bit of a mess,
and I also didn't know about database normalisation as well. So that needed a rewrite to be more stable and maintainable.

MMDB is the second mod store, written to fix mtext's flaws. It's written in Python and Django, and there was support for it ingame. However, only the original creator has the knowledge to develop it, and disappeared for a while whilst mmdb was broken due to a database problem. Eventually it was taken offline completely, and the ingame mod store was disabled. MMDB requires mod creators to upload their mods as a zip file. It doesn't support pulling them in from Github.

Minetest-Bower is the newest mod-store available, and is based on Bower. The mods listed are from MTPM-Lists, a forum parser I created. It doesn't have ingame support.

So really it's a bit of a mess.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

domtron vox
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

by domtron vox » Post

rubenwardy wrote:A brief history of mod stores for Minetest...
Interesting. I had heard about mmdb and used it a bit, but had not seen the other two. Here are the links for mintest-bower if anyone was interested
forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13012 and the site itself: https://minetest-bower.herokuapp.com/

Thanks for the info Rubenwardy.