What do you expect from a survival game?

burli

What do you expect from a survival game?

by burli » Thu May 26, 2016 08:01

I know that people have different preferences, so this question is adressed to people who like to play singleplayer survival.

What do you expect from a singleplayer survival game in Minetest? What kind of objectives?

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: What do you expect from a survival game?

by srifqi » Thu May 26, 2016 12:45

When I was first playing Minetest, I was trying to get resources and build simple house, simple farm, and decorating 'em. No hostile mobs means no need of securing house. All in singleplayer mode, before I brave enough to try multiplayer.

When I knew about modding in Minetest at first time, I focused on making mods. Now, I'm a little bit know about the engine and trying to contribute as helpful as I can.

That's my story. How about yours?
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

burli

by burli » Thu May 26, 2016 13:14

srifqi wrote:When I was first playing Minetest, I was trying to get resources and build simple house, simple farm, and decorating 'em. No hostile mobs means no need of securing house.

So your goal is to find resources and build a house with a farm? Even with mobs: what if you have build what you want and have enough food? What's next?

That is what I mean. If you have enough food and shelter there is no objective in minetest except building more. If you play with 3d armor most mobs can't harm you, if you have a good armor. And as long as the mobs only spawn at night and you have a bed you don't need armor at all

What else would you like to do except building?

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Thu May 26, 2016 13:37

Automate everything, dig far enough down to find all caverealms, even reach the bottom of the world!

If you have the achievements mod, get all the achievements, get a few pets and a sheep farm, and build a huge base to show that you rule the land!!!
Social: YouTube Peertube Matrix Room: #minetest:matrix.org | Games: The Infinite IKEA

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Thu May 26, 2016 13:42

Also, you can share your achievement by screenshoting 'em and post 'em in this forum. :D
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

yyt16384

GitHub: yyt16384
IRC: yyt16384
In-game: yyt16384

by yyt16384 » Thu May 26, 2016 14:35

How do you define "survival"? There is no "survival_mode" setting in minetest. Do you mean "creative_mode = false" or "enable_damage = true" or both?

As someone who plays with "creative_mode = false" and "enable_damage = false", I guess I probably won't be included :)

srifqi wrote:When I was first playing Minetest, I was trying to get resources and build simple house, simple farm, and decorating 'em. No hostile mobs means no need of securing house. All in singleplayer mode, before I brave enough to try multiplayer.

When I knew about modding in Minetest at first time, I focused on making mods. Now, I'm a little bit know about the engine and trying to contribute as helpful as I can.

That's my story. How about yours?

My story is the opposite. I tried to make some mods, but gave up because the API is too limiting and I'm not good at making game content. Now I just focus on playing the game :)

benrob0329 wrote:Automate everything, dig far enough down to find all caverealms, even reach the bottom of the world!

If you have the achievements mod, get all the achievements, get a few pets and a sheep farm, and build a huge base to show that you rule the land!!!

I like automating things too :) Working with mesecons/pipeworks/technic wiring is really interesting.

burli

by burli » Thu May 26, 2016 14:53

yyt16384 wrote:How do you define "survival"? There is no "survival_mode" setting in minetest. Do you mean "creative_mode = false" or "enable_damage = true" or both?

Without damage you always survive, right?

Yes, of course I mean damage true and creative false. And with lots of things that can harm you

Diamond knight

GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Sat May 28, 2016 00:18

mine, mine, mine

bring lots of food, wood, and tnt and go binge mining

making a diamond mansion in survival could be considered beating the game

Return to General Discussion