Post Castles-Strongholds-Towers-Screenshots

SB66

Re: Post Castles-Strongholds-Towers-Screenshots

by SB66 » Post

voxelproof wrote:
SB66 wrote:.....
Your castle looks better than many much larger MC maps with fancy, phantastic and completely unrealistic design. It seems to me that it's roughly based on some real structure. I think it's a matter of a bit asymmetric plan which makes an impression of a model of something that could be built in reality.
You are right, this is my rough interpretation, inspired by existing castles more or less nearby my home....

example
Attachments
Ronneburg.jpg
Ronneburg.jpg (488.51 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

SB66 wrote:
voxelproof wrote: Your castle looks better than many much larger MC maps with fancy, phantastic and completely unrealistic design. It seems to me that it's roughly based on some real structure. I think it's a matter of a bit asymmetric plan which makes an impression of a model of something that could be built in reality.
You are right, this is my rough interpretation, inspired by existing castles more or less nearby my home....
Voxelproof describes very well how the castle felt to me: It looks very realistic as a building, but also slightly strange. In voxel games, we often tend to add more details than there are in reality in order to make our creations look more impressive. Maybe a technic often seen in Minecraft could come in handy here: Adding a bit diversity through diffrent blocks - i.e. walls with stone, mossy cobblestone, stonebrick etc. all more or less randomly mixed together into one wall. That method seems very common in MC but is almost never used in MT. Guess it has to do with how the textures look like and wouldn't work out well with MT textures. There are also shadows in reality which are almost completely missing in the voxel world.
A list of my mods can be found here.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Sokomine wrote: Adding a bit diversity through diffrent blocks - i.e. walls with stone, mossy cobblestone, stonebrick etc. all more or less randomly mixed together into one wall. That method seems very common in MC but is almost never used in MT. Guess it has to do with how the textures look like and wouldn't work out well with MT textures. There are also shadows in reality which are almost completely missing in the voxel world.
Good point. I'm even thinking about widening the set of building blocks in the future so that each one would come in 3 different 'varieties' (variants) slightly different from each other, and at the same time sharing the same or very similar texture pattern so that the flat surfaces like walls wouldn't look so generic and bland. The main obstacle is lack of general tool enabling making it compatible with mods changing block shapes.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

voxelproof wrote: Good point. I'm even thinking about widening the set of building blocks in the future so that each one would come in 3 different 'varieties' (variants) slightly different from each other, and at the same time sharing the same or very similar texture pattern so that the flat surfaces like walls wouldn't look so generic and bland. The main obstacle is lack of general tool enabling making it compatible with mods changing block shapes.
Up until now, I thought about hardware coloring as a tool to supply the player with very diffrent colors to build with. But perhaps that's not the best approach. After all stairs and the like can only come in 8 additional colors. Perhaps just adding some slightly brighter and some slightly darker hues might form a better palette.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Here’s a small castle I built after a tutorial originally for Minecraft but adapted to Minetest.

Image Image

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Sokomine wrote:
voxelproof wrote: Good point. I'm even thinking about widening the set of building blocks in the future so that each one would come in 3 different 'varieties' (variants) slightly different from each other, and at the same time sharing the same or very similar texture pattern so that the flat surfaces like walls wouldn't look so generic and bland. The main obstacle is lack of general tool enabling making it compatible with mods changing block shapes.
Up until now, I thought about hardware coloring as a tool to supply the player with very diffrent colors to build with. But perhaps that's not the best approach. After all stairs and the like can only come in 8 additional colors. Perhaps just adding some slightly brighter and some slightly darker hues might form a better palette.
Yeah, it sounds good. Other method is to use rocks instead of bricks from time to time, moreover you can slightly break monotony of a wall using screwdriver to rotate blocks (especially when building with blocks, not bricks). There're also mods (like noncubic) which make possible breaking smoothness of a wall by adding differently shaped nodes based on the same texure here and there .
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

SB66

by SB66 » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20190806_201755.jpg
screenshot_20190806_201755.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 411 times
screenshot_20190806_201639.jpg
screenshot_20190806_201639.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Miniminaut
In-game: Miniminaut