Virtual Meetup

My virtual meeting software of preference is

Use audio and a Dedicated Minetest World
16
42%
Mumble audio
3
8%
Palava.tv audio/video
3
8%
Apache OpenMeeting a/v
3
8%
Tox / qTox client audio
5
13%
Ring.cx audio
0
No votes
I don't mind Skype
6
16%
Other (please detail)
2
5%
 
Total votes : 38

User avatar
garywhite
Member
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:19
Location: San Francisco, CA
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

Re: Virtual Meetup

by garywhite » Sat Sep 10, 2016 06:17

The 18th or 24th works for me.
Also, depending on the number of people that plan to show up in the world, I can provide the world for the starting meet, but there is a 12-player limit.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 17:58

garywhite wrote:I can provide the world for the starting meet, but there is a 12-player limit.

There isn't any problem with that, actually i don't think that there going to be more than 11 players...
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 19:49

Hi guys

Thanks for the offer garywhite - will you be able to keep it online for an extended period of time? If not I can still provide a server with vanilla mods, I have the space still. Might simply leave it in creative mode with unified inventory.

For the date..... let's do the 18th then shall we?

For the audio, I propose tox - given that we need to mutually accept contacts, publishing Tox IDs should not be a problem. For non-audio partcipants, I can link up the chat to a freenode IRC
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 21:32

taikedz wrote:Hi guys

Thanks for the offer garywhite - will you be able to keep it online for an extended period of time? If not I can still provide a server with vanilla mods, I have the space still. Might simply leave it in creative mode with unified inventory.

For the date..... let's do the 18th then shall we?

For the audio, I propose tox - given that we need to mutually accept contacts, publishing Tox IDs should not be a problem. For non-audio partcipants, I can link up the chat to a freenode IRC

+100
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 23:14

OK so I have set up a preliminary server.

0.4.14 with minetest_game , mg_v5 and

    * protector
    * bakedclay
    * moreblocks
    * books (placeable as nodes)
    * inventory_plus
    * simple_skins
    * inbox (from homedecor)
    * zcg craft guide
    * travelnet
    * IRC integration (freenode.net , channel #mt-meetup )
    * BlockMen's cme mobs

Hopefully that'll make it fun enough whilst keeping it super-light and straightforward.

Everyone spawns with fast, fly and some introductory building materials.

play.ducakedhare.co.uk - port 30003 ; initial password 'mytest'

I'll remove the initial password when we get to second meeting or so. For now, everything is just preliminary.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 23:48

taikedz wrote:OK so I have set up a preliminary server.

0.4.14 with minetest_game , mg_v5 and

    * protector
    * bakedclay
    * moreblocks
    * books (placeable as nodes)
    * inventory_plus
    * simple_skins
    * inbox (from homedecor)
    * zcg craft guide
    * travelnet
    * IRC integration (freenode.net , channel #mt-meetup )
    * BlockMen's cme mobs

Hopefully that'll make it fun enough whilst keeping it super-light and straightforward.

Everyone spawns with fast, fly and some introductory building materials.

play.ducakedhare.co.uk - port 30003 ; initial password 'mytest'

I'll remove the initial password when we get to second meeting or so. For now, everything is just preliminary.

I'm playing, but there aren't any threes... (P.S: I'm MineYoshi)
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: Virtual Meetup

by Byakuren » Sun Sep 11, 2016 01:06

Could you outline what the purpose of the meeting is, and what would be done during it?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 01:27

Byakuren wrote:Could you outline what the purpose of the meeting is, and what would be done during it?

Talk about Minetest and have a nice Moment. And what will be done? I think that some competitions and as well play and chat. :D
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!
 

User avatar
DI3HARD139
Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 21:04
GitHub: DI3HARD139
IRC: DI3HARD139
In-game: DI3HARD139 DI3HARD139_

Re: Virtual Meetup

by DI3HARD139 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 05:51

I could see about setting up a Team Speak or Mumble server if anyone is interested in that.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: Virtual Meetup

by Byakuren » Sun Sep 11, 2016 06:26

MineYoshi wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Could you outline what the purpose of the meeting is, and what would be done during it?

Talk about Minetest and have a nice Moment. And what will be done? I think that some competitions and as well play and chat. :D

Alright, thanks. I don't think I'm interested though.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
garywhite
Member
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:19
Location: San Francisco, CA
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

Re: Virtual Meetup

by garywhite » Sun Sep 11, 2016 08:03

OK, so do you want me to run the server for you? Cause as I mentioned, I can get up to 12 players on with IRC along with a lot of mods, and I can have it up 24/7. I just need to know by the 14th so I can clear it with my admins. It's already a public server so take a look and tell me what you think rrhgameservers.ddns.net:48262

Please let me know
 

User avatar
thedavey
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 05:32
Location: Wouldn't you like to know...
IRC: davey
In-game: davey

Re: Virtual Meetup

by thedavey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 18:39

OK, so I can't do audio chat because A. I don't have a good microphone, and B. my dad doesn't want me to do audio chat like EVER. So is it OK for me to just stick to IRC or Minetest chat instead?
Thanks
When all else fails, funny cat videos.
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 19:30

garywhite - I'll be fine hosting for now I think, thanks for the offer; the server I have put up is deliberately basic -- if the virtual meetup space is to try and cater to multiple geographical locations, lighter is better. If we take it in a different direction, so be it.

thedavey - understandable, though the channels I am choosing are specifically tailored to try and preserve anonymity. See https://tox.chat for info on the IM and voice solution I want to trial, but if you want to keep it to IRC that's fine too.

Byakuren - tbh this Virtual Meetup thread was created as a thread to take it away from the physical meetup thread. Currently we are still trying to give this direction. For my part, I want to test the audio with whomever wants to participate during the first meetup. As such, I think I would keep this thread as the organisational one, individual events will be posted in their own threads.

We still need to decide the goal and format of this - but as I said in the MESECon thread, if everyone just sticks to IRC it'll be no different from a normal game session.

It could well be that the virtual meetup might morph into an audio-enabled session streamed to youtube or something as a monthly "visit a guest server for 1 hour together" kind of thing.

The direction that the Virtual Meetup takes is in the participants' hands ;-)

So I guess the next question is - what format should this take? I was originally going to try and have it as audio+video meet-and-greet for those who wanted to attend and reveal their voices (and optionally faces), but I think people here are not so interested in that. So what are your thoughts?
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: Virtual Meetup

by Byakuren » Sun Sep 11, 2016 20:10

taikedz wrote:garywhite - I'll be fine hosting for now I think, thanks for the offer; the server I have put up is deliberately basic -- if the virtual meetup space is to try and cater to multiple geographical locations, lighter is better. If we take it in a different direction, so be it.

thedavey - understandable, though the channels I am choosing are specifically tailored to try and preserve anonymity. See https://tox.chat for info on the IM and voice solution I want to trial, but if you want to keep it to IRC that's fine too.

Byakuren - tbh this Virtual Meetup thread was created as a thread to take it away from the physical meetup thread. Currently we are still trying to give this direction. For my part, I want to test the audio with whomever wants to participate during the first meetup. As such, I think I would keep this thread as the organisational one, individual events will be posted in their own threads.

We still need to decide the goal and format of this - but as I said in the MESECon thread, if everyone just sticks to IRC it'll be no different from a normal game session.

It could well be that the virtual meetup might morph into an audio-enabled session streamed to youtube or something as a monthly "visit a guest server for 1 hour together" kind of thing.

The direction that the Virtual Meetup takes is in the participants' hands ;-)

So I guess the next question is - what format should this take? I was originally going to try and have it as audio+video meet-and-greet for those who wanted to attend and reveal their voices (and optionally faces), but I think people here are not so interested in that. So what are your thoughts?

One of the activities suggested in the physical meetup thread that I was interested in was the hackathon/modathon/whatever thing. I would probably be interested if that was planned for these meetings as well, because it might help get things done. Working in teams would require some kind of collaboration software though, but that could be as simple as ssh + tmux.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 20:57

Byakuren wrote:One of the activities suggested in the physical meetup thread that I was interested in was the hackathon/modathon/whatever thing. I would probably be interested if that was planned for these meetings as well, because it might help get things done. Working in teams would require some kind of collaboration software though, but that could be as simple as ssh + tmux.


A hackathon type meeting would be very interesting albeit for a specific audience type... I'd be up for that too. (I need to curb my enthusiasm...)

ssh + tmux would result more in pair programming and taking turns rather than actual collaborative programming - having two people with access to a tmux session tends to be a little messy and otherwise always leaves one person in the passenger seat...

I run a software called etherpad which would be more appropriate for collaboration (multiple people can work on separate parts of the same document), though not totally ideal (it's a collaborative notepad - which does not really suit the shared files paradigm - but it could conceivably be shoehorned...) I can add that to a server if of intterest http://etherpad.org/
 

User avatar
garywhite
Member
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:19
Location: San Francisco, CA
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

Re: Virtual Meetup

by garywhite » Sun Sep 11, 2016 22:30

I would still like to help if you want me to, I just can't do any of the audiochat stuff or Skype (my laptop doesn't have a webcam and has a garbage mic). I just need to know what exactly will be done for this meeting?
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 23:27

Thanks garywhite - as said, it's still open to being shaped. Is there anything you would suggest to make it not-just-another-in-game-hangout?

A/V would have been a differentiator, bot without that, there needs to be a further point....
 

User avatar
garywhite
Member
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:19
Location: San Francisco, CA
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

Re: Virtual Meetup

by garywhite » Mon Sep 12, 2016 17:39

You could have a building contest, and you could have someone take screenshots or stream it to YouTube (like the people at The Pixel Shadow)
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 18:22

garywhite wrote:You could have a building contest, and you could have someone take screenshots or stream it to YouTube (like the people at The Pixel Shadow)

+100 For this idea!
Happy new Year 2020: let's all aim finally for a clear vision of what we want to make of Minetest!
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 18:27

Should it be people building within X hours during the meetup?

Or invite people to build in advance, and then do the tours/contest during the meetup?

For available building nodes, I have only loaded the defaults, plus moreblocks, deliberately to keep it light. I am hoping that this "Minimalism" will be sufficiently interesting.

Also should creative mode be activated, or just use the "creative" feature of unified inventory? Grant fly and fast by default? What should the server features/rules be?
 

User avatar
garywhite
Member
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:19
Location: San Francisco, CA
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

Re: Virtual Meetup

by garywhite » Mon Sep 12, 2016 19:32

For the rules, you have to have the basics: No griefing, swearing, etc. I would also remove the protector mod and add areas for better protection. Also, I think if you were to hold a building contest, to hold a registration now for builders, and to allow them on 1-2 days in advance to set up their builds
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:53

I was more thinking about build contest rules

I've seen that asserted before but never understood - in what ways is the areas mod better?
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 23:11

Hi all,

Let's get this back on track. Sunday 18th I will be online on the irc at freenode #mt-meetup

This first meetup will be IRC-based to cater to the non-audio attendees, and to address two points specifically:

* what form should a wider meetup take? (and any role/task assignments)
* what audio channel to use, if any?

Anybody who would like to pitch ideas and direct a project around the premise of a virtual meetup is welcome to join.
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 15:57

Forgot to add time to main post. Hope its not too late.

8pm gmt 21:00 CEST Warsaw, 15:00 EST for New York, 12:00 PDT Los Angeles
 

User avatar
taikedz
Member
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:11
Location: Scotland, UK
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 23:09

Many thanks to those who showed up. I know it was short notice and a little jauntily organized, I need to do better on that front.

-- We discussed the possibility of trying to turn it into a show-and-tell format where players could come and see/hear about a specific mod and how to use it, changing per-meetup.

-- There was an idea to maybe have that as one track, and on another track have people build using that mod as a common theme as a build competition, and the results would be added in a video on YouTube.

-- The main problem is whether mod makers and devs would be interested in this, so we need to have a convincing format

I'm thinking it could be interesting to do a sort of podcast - perhaps monthly? On a specific dedicated server, each month there would be a choice theme - say "mesecons" or a subset of those, or pipeworks, etc. A portion of the world can be demarcated as a "theme" area (new area monthly), wherein builders would need to build with a focus on using that mod specifically to showcase its uses. Come podcast time, there can be a discussion of said mod, maybe with the mod creator's participation, which servers make use of it, and a showcase of the month's builds. "Audience" participation can come in via IRC, and the podcast could cover some events and happenings in the MT community/development.


Feedback welcome.
Last edited by taikedz on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests