parrot.png (164.42 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Post your screenshots!

by texmex » Post

Eran wrote:Image

Having fun making parrots parrot.
This is super interesting! Will you post the code eventually? I'm looking for a framework for procedurally generated natural language in-game myself, so you see how this is getting me excited. =)

Eran

by Eran » Post

The part of the code that's used for generating sentences is already done, I've attached it to this post.
This uses markov chains to create the language. Basically it stores how likely each word is to follow another and randomly creates sentences based on it.
How useful it is for you depends on your use case. Markov chains don't work to convey a meaning but are great at generating themed nonsense.
Here's an alternative post I've made based on the post for The End, as an example.
Spoiler
Cobble -> Ingots

License

Combat using the last ones remaining, you are in a mountainside full of the new player velocity api so it gets dark, the apocalypse upon the last ones remaining, you are few but in a small cave in future nights their bags filled up with fairly new Minetest builds.

License
This game uses the dwarves will have come to the new player velocity api, inspired by Dwarves vs Zombies

Infinite hordes

Anvil: Repairs broken tools
Since the first waves of the first waves of resources to planks to bring the start of individual mods)

Mortar and weapons.

Cobble -> Ingots

Kiln: fueld with fairly new Minetest builds.

A custom built maps that can be destroyed and crafting stations: Anvil, Saw, Kiln, Mortar and four custom, formspecless crafting walls and weapons.

Since the beginning they are on your death as expensive as expensive as expensive as possible.

Absence of resources to dig up. Until dawn their bags filled up with walls and Pestle
Cobble -> Ingots
StarNinjas (some textures)
At the dwarves! As some of sfan5's builds should be fortified with fairly new Minetest builds.

Infinite hordes have to dig up. Until dawn their numbers grow. To prepare for custom dwarf player model
NetherEran (code, media, assembling the apocalypse upon the most important recipes here.
Mortar and planks to the default mod
A custom built maps that can be destroyed and smelt things
On Windows the game does not contain a ready made German translation
Mortar and crafting stations:
oss:
Attachments
screenshot_20190821_190642.jpg
screenshot_20190821_190642.jpg (309.9 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
markov_chains.zip
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Sokomine,

My version of Rochambeau's settlements mod uses Lua tables, instead of .mts file. All schematics are loaded into an array at runtime, loading very quickly. I use Lua tables, simply because I can change the materials on the fly. One thing I've added, is rather than use hard-coded node defs, I use variables, that can be changed at will. Such as in this scenario: Read biome data, use biome stone for base material, build building with base material. I don't even actually have to code anything additional, just supply a table of materials to be used. The schem uses what it needs from the table.

The settlements mod draws paths between the buildings. I'm not sure if you've disable that in your version, but it does at least connect the buildings. I like this mod, because I think there is an easier solution for roads, and this mod will actually enable some of what I am considering.

The citybuilder mod allows upgrading buildings, but by completely replacing the schematic with a new building. I don't like this, in that upgrading a building should mean upgrading the materials used. To facilitate upgrading a building to a more powerful version of itself, it makes more sense to require a new building. Either clear the area of the existing building, or build elsewhere. This is more like real life. I have not begun this integration though.

As for the mobs part of the equation, I prefer Zorman2000s AdvancedNPC API, the mg_villages_npc example, and the npcbuildqueue mod by Evert Prants ("IcyDiamond" I think). The NPC's only need to have additional "jobs" created for them, the npcbuildqueue needs to fit into the jobs framework / concept of AdvancedNPC. They work, and I use them regularly. I just haven't devoted much time, as of yet, to do some of what I've mentioned here.

The settlements mod defines a maximum height difference variable, that allows one to define the "flatness" of an area upon which to place the settlement. Each building is simply placed according to where the circle is being drawn at that moment, with no regard to the "flatness" of the terrain where the building gets placed. It's rather simplistic, but it keeps buildings off of cliffs. As for the max size of a schematic, I get inconsistent results, usually depending on the mod load, how much of the map I've emerged during this instance, and generally with any schem larger than 50m on either horizontal plane. While I can place larger schems, the settlements mod seems to not like schems larger than 40m. Height isn't usually affected.

Running multiple copies of settlements actually means, customized versions of the same mod. Each uniquely name, with all global and local variables well encapsulated, so as not to overwrite any of the other "settlements" mods running. The proof for this is in the multiple screenshots, where villages are shown.

texmex and Eran,

I would also suggest looking into AIML, a rather straightforward, easy to use chatbot. My experiences with AIML driven NPCs was "uncanny". That's the power of AIML. You can tailor AIML as much as you like, for smaller game based conversations to a fully learning "self-aware" AI. It won the Turing prize, 20 years ago, for it's power. I used it in Opensim to create NPCs that were frequently mistaken for other players.

On another note, I played with making a new palette, this morning. I used my own existing palette, and a derivative of duane's mapgen palette. The results are more pleasing, I must say. This endeavor will be made to be settable, so that users can not only choose a palette, but also the underlying textures, as well as, set saturation levels.

Please comment on which palettes look better.

Attachments
screenshot_20191014_153951.jpg
screenshot_20191014_153951.jpg (213.24 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191014_113615.jpg
screenshot_20191014_113615.jpg (340.53 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191014_075949.jpg
screenshot_20191014_075949.jpg (349.47 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

I don't like mts files for the same reason I don't like systemd -- it's unnecessary optimization that prevents the use of simple system tools. I can easily use sed on a table file. I can't do that with an mts. Although, if the minetest place_schematic function handled rotation properly, I'd be a bit more comfortable using them. I suppose mts makes a little more sense on android, but not much. How much space do the schematics take up compared to the code? How much memory do tables occupy compared to a chunk of 3D noise?

Now I need a big schematic.

Attachments
screenshot_20191014_201641.jpg
screenshot_20191014_201641.jpg (297.16 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I'm sorry. I don't hate on people; I don't do it as a person, ever. But I'm human. If I've hurt your feelings, tell me as much, and I'll apologize. Don't hurt mine in return.

But to honor your request, here are some assorted screenshots:

Working on an idea I had a long time ago:

The central courtyard (I don't get why only four will grow blueberries naturally; all of them started without):

Talk about an interesting natural tunnel (another reason why v6 underground is so much superior!):
Attachments
screenshot_20191014_182434.jpg
screenshot_20191014_182434.jpg (731.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191010_185220.png
screenshot_20191010_185220.png (885.94 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191014_181905.jpg
screenshot_20191014_181905.jpg (432.13 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

duane

Temple of Vulcan

by duane » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20191014_215627.jpg
screenshot_20191014_215627.jpg (505.23 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane

Lucifer Bound

by duane » Post

The walls fairly rang with the screams of the damned. What savage rituals were conducted in this terrible place? How could any mortal mind abase itself so deeply that it considered this monstrosity to be its maker?

Attachments
screenshot_20191015_020454.jpg
screenshot_20191015_020454.jpg (304.58 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191015_020623.jpg
screenshot_20191015_020623.jpg (140.98 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

trying out new things:

✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: My version of Rochambeau's settlements mod uses Lua tables, instead of .mts file. All schematics are loaded into an array at runtime, loading very quickly. I use Lua tables, simply because I can change the materials on the fly.
Er, well, yes :-) In how far is that diffrent from mg_villages? My internal representation will most likely be diffrent from yours, but in the end it's a lua table. mg_villages just *reads* .mts files (same as .we files and to some very limited degree MC .schematic files) - it doesn't use any of the built-inplace_schematic* functions (well, apart from saving buildings with the build chest). It works on a VoxelManip array - kind of copies from one table to another when placing something.
ShadMOrdre wrote: The settlements mod draws paths between the buildings. I'm not sure if you've disable that in your version, but it does at least connect the buildings.
I've tested that previously with the settlements mod (see below). My current experimental village generator doesn't have such code yet.
ShadMOrdre wrote: As for the max size of a schematic, I get inconsistent results, usually depending on the mod load, how much of the map I've emerged during this instance, and generally with any schem larger than 50m on either horizontal plane. While I can place larger schems, the settlements mod seems to not like schems larger than 40m. Height isn't usually affected.
Well, yes. A mapchunk is usually 80 nodes in each direction. Mods working on the heightmap and in the current mapchunk have only these nodes to work with. If you're lucky and got extremly flat land, you might put an 80x80m building there...but that'd be about it. Finding pieces of flat land is a lot easier if only a small area is needed. I think that's one of the reasons why the houses in the settlements mod are stretched in height.
duane wrote: Although, if the minetest place_schematic function handled rotation properly, I'd be a bit more comfortable using them.
Oh yes, that'd be great. Sadly, it's rather unlikely as those functions are mostly used for placing decoration at mapgen time. Decoration doesn't care about stairs...
duane wrote: I suppose mts makes a little more sense on android, but not much. How much space do the schematics take up compared to the code? How much memory do tables occupy compared to a chunk of 3D noise?
Just compare it to the old WorldEdit format (one node name per line)....mts is a very compact format. It can also easily be saved (that part works fine) inside WorldEdit and exchanged between players. And building detailled houses is IMHO easier with an editor written for it (namely, MT :-)) rather than trying to write it flat in code.
Attachments
settlements_paths.jpg
settlements_paths.jpg (262.52 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
A list of my mods can be found here.

duane

by duane » Post

Sokomine wrote:Just compare it to the old WorldEdit format (one node name per line)....mts is a very compact format. It can also easily be saved (that part works fine) inside WorldEdit and exchanged between players. And building detailled houses is IMHO easier with an editor written for it (namely, MT :-)) rather than trying to write it flat in code.
The point is, the amount of space you save is trivial compared to the total in use. As a great scientist once said, the first rule of optimizing is, don't. And all of those other points apply to tables as well. Still, use what you like. That's why they make more than one flavor.

I've been having fun with the nine-meter schematics in roomgen, but anything larger is a pain to build and work with. I translated them all into geomorphs, and now they take up anywhere from ten to fifty (short) lines of code, and save the same amount of memory when loaded. Geomorphs will always be smaller than uncompressed schematics, and generally smaller than all but the most complicated mts files, for what little that's worth.

They're easier (for me) to visualize and edit, since I can edit an entire block of pixels with a few keystrokes. The only disadvantage is having to recreate the whole structure in-game rather than just making a change to a node while I'm editing. And, unless you really love repetitive work while building in-game, constructing anything larger than a hut is ten times more fun with geomorphs. Even with my newly optimized schematic functions, I can't place the schematics on a voxelmanip any faster.

The new version of my experimental roomgen, below, doesn't use any schematics.

Every now and then, I think about recoding the geomorph routines in C. Then, I take an asprin and lie down until the feeling goes away.

Attachments
screenshot_20191016_003829.jpg
screenshot_20191016_003829.jpg (257.59 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191015_060039.jpg
screenshot_20191015_060039.jpg (232.32 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane

New Contest Idea

by duane » Post

Art in 10 (20, 30?) nodes or less. Or has it been done?

Attachments
screenshot_20191013_051118.jpg
screenshot_20191013_051118.jpg (168.13 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Please note that schematics actually has two different file formats, the most common one is a binary format but a Lua-based format is also supported. Minetest has functions for converting between both of these. The main benefit of schematics isn't so much the file format but how much faster they are to place than using set_node, and how much easier compared to LVMs

CTF uses schematics, and I dread to think how big they would be if they weren't in binary format. The maps are 220x100x220. Size is important as they are checked into a version control repository, although you could argue that it would be better to use a text based format which could be properly diffed
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

duane

by duane » Post

rubenwardy wrote:CTF uses schematics, and I dread to think how big they would be if they weren't in binary format. The maps are 220x100x220. Size is important as they are checked into a version control repository, although you could argue that it would be better to use a text based format which could be properly diffed
That's a big schematic. : )

However, I suspect that a clever admin would be running his repository on a compressed file system, since anything in it is likely to be very compressible. I'm told that git already has compression built in, but I haven't paid much attention to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bridgeworks (158 lines of geomorph [ouch!])

Attachments
screenshot_20191016_032943.jpg
screenshot_20191016_032943.jpg (218.2 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191016_031332.jpg
screenshot_20191016_031332.jpg (129.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

duane wrote: Still, use what you like. That's why they make more than one flavor.
Exactly :-) Was just puzzled about why so many people seem to like tables. I wouldn't be able to build the houses I build using that method.
duane wrote: And, unless you really love repetitive work while building in-game, constructing anything larger than a hut is ten times more fun with geomorphs.
I havn't played with geomorphs yet. They certainly do sound fun. And yes, really large buildings ought not to be built stone-by-stone in survival. WorldEdit has a lot of useful functions to avoid repetitive work: Elements can be built once, copied over and adjusted. The old MC creative server I started building on handed WorldEdit-like commands out when the player showed that he could handle it - i.e. show that you can build symmetrical - get the copy function (by promotion through moderators).

My current project (built stone-by-stone in survival):
duane wrote: Every now and then, I think about recoding the geomorph routines in C. Then, I take an asprin and lie down until the feeling goes away.
*g* Understandable.
rubenwardy wrote: The main benefit of schematics isn't so much the file format but how much faster they are to place than using set_node, and how much easier compared to LVMs
For my purposes, it's the opposite: The .mts format is useful and practical for storing a building - but close to useless for writing back to the map (no support of rotation for facedir nodes etc.)

(For fun) Things gone terribly wrong in mapgen:
Attachments
house_tunnellers_abyss_top.jpg
house_tunnellers_abyss_top.jpg (380.8 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screwed_up.jpg
screwed_up.jpg (193.68 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
A list of my mods can be found here.

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20191017_164832.png
screenshot_20191017_164832.png (475.92 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

working on a inn
Attachments
screenshot_20191017_143511.png
screenshot_20191017_143511.png (494.62 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane

by duane » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:working on a inn
Nice, straight-forward design.

------------------------------------------------------

No, this is not a library in a dungeon... It's an enormous hentai shop. What do you think the tentacled horrors do with their spare time, browse Proust?

Attachments
screenshot_20191017_050421.jpg
screenshot_20191017_050421.jpg (276.42 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane

Can You?

by duane » Post

Can you Seize The Towers?

Probably so, since there's no one defending them...
Attachments
screenshot_20191019_010437.jpg
screenshot_20191019_010437.jpg (357.13 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Digtron scootering :D
Attachments
screenshot_20191019_132303.jpg
screenshot_20191019_132303.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

top half of inn done
now for the tricky part of doing a cellar in a treetop
Attachments
screenshot_20191020_164901.png
screenshot_20191020_164901.png (699.36 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

duane

Samhain

by duane » Post

What the heck kinda cave is this?

Oh, that's not good...

Nooooooooooooo!

Come on, trot out those halloween pics I know you've got 'em. : )
Attachments
screenshot_20191023_115431.jpg
screenshot_20191023_115431.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191023_115345.jpg
screenshot_20191023_115345.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
screenshot_20191023_115517.jpg
screenshot_20191023_115517.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

duane

Up On Goblin Hill

by duane » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20191024_002647.jpg
screenshot_20191024_002647.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

somehow that flying head reminds me of Zardoz