[discussion] how can the forums be improved?

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: [discussion] how can the forums be improved?

by ABJ » Post

Right now, you complain that we don't have a big enough playerbase. But once we get that, you'll complain that our community is flooded with 12 year old wannabe greffers.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

"We cannot tolerate these greffers in our midst! The lies of greffers weaken our nation! Ban the greffers! Ban their lies! Ban! The red faction!" (c) Red Faction II Sopot's Speech )))

But keep in mind IMHO forum improving must be Synchronized with MT improving and aggregating all data in one page. It's like a blitzkrieg in "12 year old wannabe greffers" mind. )
MT must give new part of community something what ones haven't with MC - Free.

Lua is great (free) but current MT object model is a little inconsistent (cage)
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

gamerdadster wrote:first think about how you can contribute before you post
Hmm... The ways for me to contribute is limited because I only use a phone for everything right now, but at least I'm translating some mods and Minetest into Malay (still work-in-progress). I also opened a topic in Bugs/Problems thread but no one replied. I did asked in signs_lib topic if it is possible to make or if it is already implementing plugin mod to support non-ASCII letters in their mod because I want to make such plugin to support letters with symbols like á, ñ, etc. before extending to Kana (katakana, hiragana) like マインテスト but it didn't get reply yet (on the time of writing this post). I can set Jota Text Editor on my phone to force UTF-8 while writing the mods, so text encoding should not screw up the mod itself. (If you have better Android apps to write codes, do tell me).

If I ever have enough money to fix my laptop, I might make some videos of Minetest (in fact I was in middle of some personal video project when my laptop is broken, and no they are not overclocked) like introducing more mods, showing that the same Minetest server is playable across multiple platforms be it on laptop (Windows/Ubuntu) or phone (Android) I don't have Mac nor iPhone, sorry while applying what I've learnt on Multimedia course in university to make it interesting for people to watch (something like Pewdiepie is doing, but make it more prone to Minetest instead of those VR Girl games... or maybe mixed them... ANIME GIRL NPC, HANAKO MOBS, ANYONE??)... and I could speed up translating because I could multitask on a laptop. Android keeps killing app after some times after I switched to other app, it makes me difficult to multitask on phone. I also tried to record phone screen playing Minetest with the native screen recorder but somehow the recording overlay just disappeared after few minutes of recording (lol).
Spoiler
If you play on IhrFussel's Server, I'm the one who built the public farm and the food tutorial. I'm also helping the owner of Spawn's North Road in maintaining the North Road and all of the roads which are connected off the North Road. I built the letter shop & furniture shop in Westfield (the new shopping city). I'm also the one who checks for shops on the server, remove any shops violating rules, and adding shops into the server's shop list (more info on shop list will be added in the server's forum thread -- see my signature). That's my contribution. :P
ABJ wrote:Right now, you complain that we don't have a big enough playerbase. But once we get that, you'll complain that our community is flooded with 12 year old wannabe greffers.
Not all of them are griefers, plus there are also moderators on some server that is as young as that, and they do jobs quite good that you don't even know they're 12. The server is not inside my signature btw, I only put stable servers into my signature. Also, my little brother is also 12 years old this year and he play this game just fine, he know how to survive without asking for stuffs like some other players.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I'd still like to say to TumeniNodes that I never mentioned that you'd have to scroll questions. Just ask them as they come. So what if they were answered earlier? They may just as well not have been - we are talking about something totally different from just a giant FAQ.

muhdnurhidayat, refer to the Minecraft community. Also refer to the Internet.

Be careful for your kid brother - it's hacker, griefer, troll, and kid!

burli

by burli » Post

This spam is annoying.

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

I think the mods at the mod releases page should become categorized, because this would make it easier to search for mods.

For example:
Home Decor: decoration, modpack, nodes, ...
Mesecons: modpack, technical, ...
More Ores: mapgen, tools, ores ...
Can your read this?

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Now new posts are limited only to 10 newest posts?

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Sergey wrote:Now new posts are limited only to 10 newest posts?
It loads 30 posts here... are you sure you didn't change forum settings?

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

Threads like "Minetest improving" "Minetest bug" must be top of page.
It forms newbee's mindflow safety aka 'no one more double thread' somewhere forgotten be read.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

theFox
GitHub: theFox6
In-game: theFox

by theFox » Post

I also think messages or especially mods should be categorized.
Maybe like this?:
-item transport
-ores
-plants
-furniture
-game improvement
-documentation
-mobs
and many more...
my mods and subgames (ง'̀-'́)ง

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: ** and regarding the mods section. The only thing I see which is problematic is the *ask your modding questions here" post

Would it not be better to have users make individual posts for their questions?
The way it is now, gets confusing... and requires much scrolling, etc.
I agree, 100%. The best way to do this imo would be to have a separate stack overflow style website for modding questions, to keep spam away
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

ruben, excuse my hotheadedness, but are you seriously calling modding questions "spam"? Should we not learn how to mod? Should we not know any more than you are willing to tell us without being asked? Is Minetest's oft-used description as modding platform a lie? Has the community lying to me all this time time? What. Is. This??

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Urm, by spam I meant a lot of entries hiding other topics when you're interested in modding or giving modding help
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I still wish there'd be a big link on the forum for Krocks mod search. I tend to search for the search button...
A list of my mods can be found here.

mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Sokomine wrote:I still wish there'd be a big link on the forum for Krocks mod search. I tend to search for the search button...
Bookmark this (or add to favorite list) in your browser

http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Ctrl+D works on Android version of Chrome, I don't know about other browsers.

Next time, you don't need to search for the search link.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Ban Hybrid Dog for 1 second. WHAT ELSE??

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

I don't think the problem is with being a "minor of age", the problem certainly is with being an inmature human being. I'm against judging anybody due to their age, there are kids more mature than the adult masses of today. It's something understandable that due to the fact of generally "minors" being "inmature" you don't allow them, but this is just generalizing without taking in mind about the "exceptions" in this group of human beings.

Hackers are judged by their Hacking, not by their age, race, degree, etc... After all. Please, let a kid join, i don't find any problem to that, if the kid starts to grief or to be recalcitrant, then just ban him, simply as that. Minetest, can teach and educate children about the awesome Hacking and FLOSS culture, Minetest has potential to educate children upon correct use of Computers.
Doing mods in Minetest is a good introduction to coding and API using, learning to do these can be a good incentive to coding and FLOSS culture.
Have a nice day! :D

botch
IRC: Botch
In-game: botch

by botch » Post

I'd like to change my password here on the Minetest Forums. There is no link do do so. There is a reset option that sends an email which is a neat feature. I just wish I could change my password. As to improvements? Maybe a contact person or team that address questions or issues outside the realm of the FAQ page? Just my two cents.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

botch wrote:I'd like to change my password here on the Minetest Forums. There is no link do do so. There is a reset option that sends an email which is a neat feature. I just wish I could change my password. As to improvements? Maybe a contact person or team that address questions or issues outside the realm of the FAQ page? Just my two cents.
If you want to change your password you can do this:
Up there, click on "User Control Panel", then click upon "profile", then click upon "Edit account settings". Right there you will see a space where says "New Password", write there your new password, below there is a space that says "Confirm Password", write your new password again, below there is a space that says "Current Password", just write your current password. Then click upon "submit" and everything will be ready.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I'd like to repeat MineYoshi's point.
Stop with the god-send-it-to-hell ageism!
Also stop acting like your stereotype kids.
By the way, would any of you like to see a friendship break over cheating on a board game?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ABJ wrote:I'd like to repeat MineYoshi's point.
Stop with the god-send-it-to-hell ageism!
Also stop acting like your stereotype kids.
By the way, would any of you like to see a friendship break over cheating on a board game?
Actually Mario Party * breaks more friendships a day than chess does in a week or two weeks.

I am thinking you are going from "improve the forums" to "improve the game", please, get on-topic.

botch
IRC: Botch
In-game: botch

by botch » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
botch wrote:I'd like to change my password here on the Minetest Forums. There is no link do do so. There is a reset option that sends an email which is a neat feature. I just wish I could change my password. As to improvements? Maybe a contact person or team that address questions or issues outside the realm of the FAQ page? Just my two cents.
Up there, click on "User Control Panel", then click upon "profile", then click upon "Edit account settings". Right there you will see a space where says "New Password", write there your new password, below there is a space that says "Confirm Password", write your new password again, below there is a space that says "Current Password", just write your current password. Then click upon "submit" and everything will be ready.
That worked, thank you. :) It was a little difficult to find only because I haven't gone through all the control panel pages but the info was good. Thank you again MineYoshi :)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

botch wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:
That worked, thank you. :) It was a little difficult to find only because I haven't gone through all the control panel pages but the info was good. Thank you again MineYoshi :)
Don't worry, we are here to help you and solve your questions.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Bah, MineYoshi, I mean improve this whole goddamn community. And stop misinterpreting me!

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Want to improve forums? Eliminate f*cking spammers! Simultaneously two of them are shitting everywhere at the moment.