Making a list of Minetest forks for Android and iOS

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

Re: Making a list of Minetest forks for Android and iOS

by MoNTE48 » Post

I am sure that I will make a more elegant solution to this problem :) In addition, I need my servers only for testing the subgame. I get thousands of free testers who sometimes do such crazy things that I couldn’t even think about it.
minetest_game, in fact, could not have worked for so long. My last record was 8 days without crashes, and I think that was not the limit, but I needed to upload a new version of the game.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Lejo, thank you. Statistics 5.0 shows the real situation. Look at the number of players .. Official MT is about 90% in this case.

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

It’s hard to say real situations as all clients are just the old ones.
We can say that there should be more Minetest players but we can’t say that there are less forks. You could calculate the percentage when adding also the join count of the other server.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

the situation is that there is simply no player for the official Android client MT 5.0. Also, players cannot simply download the legacy version 0.4 on Google Play, and if they are random players who are not familiar with GitHub or the forum, having updated the game, they have lost the ability to access their favorite servers.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

Yes sadly.
But the old servers would update if there weren’t so much forks which keep the old server full... this results in Minetest players using the old version and so on.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

I can offer only one thing - you are the owner of large servers. And you have a certain influence among the players.
Support my initiative in creating the best MT client for Android, iOS and Windows Tablets. I am ready to change the license (LGPLv3 => LGPLv2), make a port of all MultiCraft changes for Minetest 5.1 and help release clients with the best gaming experience.
I'm also ready to be a sponsor Steam accounts, the Windows 10 Store, the App Store and a separate Google Play account, which will belong to the community, and not to one of the developers.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

I wouldn’t say that I have a large influence on minetest. The coe devs decide the most things.
The first thing should be to only have up to date clients. Of course it would be great to have a Minetest build on iOS but I’m not sure if the core devs would allow it as it is still an abusing of the license. Everybody could ask Apple for the source code of your game and then Apple will take your app offline.

And then there is the advertising thing... you can’t have a good game experience with fullscreen ads.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Well, as I said, that was a long time ago. Now Apple has completely revised the rules. There are many applications that use the LGPL library.
In addition, I did not say anything about advertising. Or for you MultiCraft = Minetest + Textures + Ads? :)

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

Ahh where is your sourcecode including all advertising service
+ and why Apple shows in the App Store Copyright: @ 2019 Multicraft Official
???
Using as library is something different there are special rules for this.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Source code on github.
About copyright - I do not understand your question.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

See Copyright the information is wrong
Attachments
monte_copyright.png
monte_copyright.png (25.46 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

The information is absolutely correct. I have only 20 characters. MultiCraft really has that kind of copyright.
Minetest credits are fully provided in the game (Credits tab), on the official website and on Github.

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

It's not about giving credits, it's about who owns the code and it's not only you! People will think that...

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Lejo wrote:It's not about giving credits, it's about who owns the code and it's not only you! People will think that...
copyright.jpg
copyright.jpg (203.36 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
I don’t care that someone might think something is wrong. This field is the name of the person publishing the application. I can not write the name Minetest there, because I do not own this trademark and am not a representative.
If you think that I'm doing something wrong, you can enlist the support of a good lawyer, take powers of attorney from several large MT developers (because you yourself are not a MT contributor) and ruin me in court.
I am trying to talk with you how to improve MT. You prove to me that I'm doing something wrong in MC. If you really are a patent troll, act. Enough to be a child who can not go beyond the keyboard of his old PC.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

> offers to change license
> opensources the code
> offers to port features upstream
> offers to sponsor paid software store accounts
> gets passive-aggressive insulted about a copyright string limited by a third party

What the hell is wrong with people?

Lejo

by Lejo » Post

And:
Advertise Minetest

cHyper-0815OL

by cHyper-0815OL » Post

Strange? A app for apple store would be awesome?!!

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I have a "fork" to play mine test on my phone. I compiled it myself. you can add it to the list if you want. but its a private fork so you cant look.

mcaygerhard
GitHub: mckaygerhard
IRC: mckaygerhard
In-game: mckaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

I am seriously outraged, sick, even though I am someone who also likes proprietary code, get very sad to see this type of practice!!! but the problem is not these approved ones ... but the license that is too permissive and the minetest development way

The most touched is this:
Wuzzy wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:35
In Minetest servers, I hear more and more complaints from some Android players they get annoyed by advertisements.
Some Android and iOS forks even write something about “in-app purchases”. Some stuff I found:..
Remove ads from app $2.99
VIP player can fly in creative map and more privs $2.99
Buy Coins to unlock maps and enter online worlds $0.99
Buy Coins to unlock maps and enter online worlds $4.99
Buy Coins to unlock maps and enter online worlds $49.99
Buy Coins to unlock maps and enter online worlds $99.99
Buy Coins to unlock maps and enter online worlds $19.99
for all of you guys, and girls, this means run cheat at the clien side.. and cannot be evade by server side.. i have lot of ndians, turkis and two "japanecitos" cheatin in my server to test the androit clients development..

I read the hole post of and the mos usefull thing is the Lejo detector of client.. but developers are so "smart" to disable getting player information.. YES sorry .. invation of data is need..
LMD wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 13:10
Anyway, really sick how people are making money or honor from somebody else's work(great thanks to you c55, core devs and community!!!)
I wonder what celeron55 would think about those...
if all the server just denies the forked clients.. the hole problem get at final point.. i only see here authorship theft, gifted work and scoundrels taking GPL code and not returning changes ..

THE MAYOR SURPRISE"! based on Lejo's mod.. 99% of the clients are 0.4.. eys.. we move all to 5.X and problem solved. but surprise! THERE?S MULTICRAFT SERVERS. sorry.. due multicraft are the most used minetst server, the mientest 5 series will have a dead end here!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thing is, Minetest's Android client also just sucks badly. That's the sad truth. For as bad as the evil Android forks are, they still offer a bit of more functionality with a few changes. Even if the evil forks are infested with ads, they still beat the official Android version hands-down somehow. They have beat us at our own game. I also think it's obvious why: The official Android version still ships Minetest Game … BIG mistake!

Also, you know how badly the official Minetest version sucks if people rather play an ad-infested commercial fork than the free official version. That's how bad and broken the usability of the official Minetest version is.

Minetest has to do better than this.

If I really wanted, I could maybe I could do my own Android fork which does not suck and is not exploitative. I probably have the skills for that. Heck, even just posting an Android version that literally just replaces the default game would probably be infinitely better already. But I really, really hate Android and it's entire “ecosystem” and I despise Google and everything it stands for, so I won't waste my time on it.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 08:09
Thing is, Minetest's Android client also just sucks badly. That's the sad truth. For as bad as the evil Android forks are, they still offer a bit of more functionality with a few changes. Even if the evil forks are infested with ads, they still beat the official Android version hands-down somehow. They have beat us at our own game. I also think it's obvious why: The official Android version still ships Minetest Game … BIG mistake!

Also, you know how badly the official Minetest version sucks if people rather play an ad-infested commercial fork than the free official version. That's how bad and broken the usability of the official Minetest version is.
I think I finally understand something that hadn't clicked for me before. It's a mental model of how the Minecraft clones on Android/iOS get chosen in the market. Bored kids on Android devices browse Google Play to find "free minecraft", but they probably don't download just one app. When they inevitably get bored with one they might try the other, and eventually settle on one they like. They most likely find Multicraft or another fork. But even if they do find the official client, they're more likely to get bored with it due to the poor UX and the included Minetest Game, both of which are worse than Multicraft etc. I reckon few of them actually go so far as to try to install a different game, they just play the default.
Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 08:09
Minetest has to do better than this.

If I really wanted, I could maybe I could do my own Android fork which does not suck and is not exploitative. I probably have the skills for that. Heck, even just posting an Android version that literally just replaces the default game would probably be infinitely better already. But I really, really hate Android and it's entire “ecosystem” and I despise Google and everything it stands for, so I won't waste my time on it.
If you want to do it, do it. But it sounds like you might enjoy spending your time elsewhere. But if you want to target mobile you can stick by your principles, as little attention as you might get. You can target better options than Google Play, such as F-Droid, systems like Sailfish, KDE Neon, Ubuntu Touch and hardware like Pinephone or Librem.

Hmm all this research to come up with such names reminds me of how awful my phone is and makes me want to replace it with something better... and if it ran Minetest then even better. I wonder how much work it would be to include the/a better new mobile UI on a build that targetted mobile Linux. We can borrow ideas from the proprietary forks right? About time they contributed back...
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 15:06
We can borrow ideas from the proprietary forks right?
Minetest is GPLed. Legally, they're obligated to allow it. If they refuse to show you source code, then any Minetest dev can sic lawyers on them, perhaps the nice folks at the FSF who handle that sort of thing all the time. Or they can just send a DMCA to the google store.
Most of the apps obey the license and make their changes available AFAIK.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

mcaygerhard
GitHub: mckaygerhard
IRC: mckaygerhard
In-game: mckaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

MoNTE48 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 15:02
Lejo wrote:It's not about giving credits, it's about who owns the code and it's not only you! People will think that...
I don’t care that someone might think something is wrong. This field is the name of the person publishing the application. I can not write the name Minetest there, because I do not own this trademark and am not a representative.
you are a moron .. nasty and disgusting.. are you taking all the benefits from minetest project and does not permit to obey and honor project..
Lejo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 14:51
It's not about giving credits, it's about who owns the code and it's not only you! People will think that...
that's damn right!
better options than Google Play, such as F-Droid, systems like Sailfish, KDE Neon, Ubuntu Touch and hardware like Pinephone or Librem.
sorry for you but the hole user base of the servers are kids.. and those does not know about the VERY UNCONFORTABLE WAY to do that.. is a problem promoted by google, and apple.. the only way is denunced those apps that violates in some way the code license (that is too permisive.. too much free software ironically)

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

A YouTube user named Squiddo recently made a video where he plays a bunch of Minecraft clones from Google Play, I haven't fully watched, I just skimmed through it, as I don't like this type of YouTubers, but I noticed at least one of those clones uses Minetest, you might want to take a look at it.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

MHL wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 01:20
A YouTube user named Squiddo recently made a video where he plays a bunch of Minecraft clones from Google Play, I haven't fully watched, I just skimmed through it, as I don't like this type of YouTubers, but I noticed at least one of those clones uses Minetest, you might want to take a look at it.
That's good ol' Multicraft, which as you can see by Squiddo's reaction, you could do far worse than, other than the advertisements of course. Also the market research has spoken with the positive reaction to Survivalcraft: You need flashy features in your game to appeal to the young market. Maybe somebody should ship a Minetest app that's a Survivalcraft clone? I jest.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂