49%
maybe yes or maybe no: please comment!
9%

Total votes: 183

Sergey

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

by Sergey » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Sergey wrote:So it literally means 'to chop cubes' what is the main thing in game.
No, actually it is not. Mining and building are. Plus: it's nodes, not cubes. Plus: This is only true for Minetest Game, one of the many different subgames for the Minetest voxel engine.
Yeah-yeah-yeah, our main critic and pedant has arrived.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Sergey wrote:Yeah-yeah-yeah, our main critic and pedant has arrived.
You say it like it's a bad thing to be pedantic.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Yay a good name :)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

+1 for rubikub

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

In voting selected 38% and it means that nobody should rename the game!

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

Nobody but dreaming )
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Nyarg wrote:Nobody but dreaming )
But why does everyone talk about it?

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I vote for calling it "Minetest". It pretty much describes what this game is about.

1. It's not an engine. So there is no reverence to engine in the name. At the moment it's just Minetest with a Game. There are hardly any subgames that aren't just MTG+mods, and of the good ones many of the creators gave up. Also MT come with one and exactly one game.
2. It has something to do with mining, kind of like Mine-craft but only half the way.
3. It's still a test. MTG isn't really a game, as soon as you have a steel pickaxe it's basically creative with limited nodes. No objectives, no progress, no story the player could create for themselves.

My idea of "aeonMT" was an example on how we can be more creative on finding a name, it wasn't intended to be a suggestion itself. One could easily come up with "ave" "A Voxel Engine", or redefine MT to "MountainousTerrain" (which has a good ring to it IMO).

My suggestion is that people stop valuing the ideas of others and instead take them as inspirations. We can decide later on a name. The first step is to get good ideas. Don't think about individual words but about the way to get there: What ways are there to form names?
Let's take "Bitsquare", they had to find a new name because the name was taken by some company, so they came up with "bisq". I don't like that one that much, but the concept is nice. It's just shortened "Bitsquare", and the result sounds like another word.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Because dr.Freud ! )))
It's a sublimation of a possibilities focused through MT with conducted sides terminators )

So for example I'm having dreams about MineVersum that feels as something infinite for ... infinite ... finit ...(echoes)
Last edited by Nyarg on Mon May 22, 2017 23:07, edited 4 times in total.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Casimir wrote:I vote for calling it "Minetest". It pretty much describes what this game is about.

1. It's not an engine. So there is no reverence to engine in the name. At the moment it's just Minetest with a Game. There are hardly any subgames that aren't just MTG+mods, and of the good ones many of the creators gave up. Also MT come with one and exactly one game.
2. It has something to do with mining, kind of like Mine-craft but only half the way.
3. It's still a test. MTG isn't really a game, as soon as you have a steel pickaxe it's basically creative with limited nodes. No objectives, no progress, no story the player could create for themselves.

My idea of "aeonMT" was an example on how we can be more creative on finding a name, it wasn't intended to be a suggestion itself. One could easily come up with "ave" "A Voxel Engine", or redefine MT to "MountainousTerrain" (which has a good ring to it IMO).

My suggestion is that people stop valuing the ideas of others and instead take them as inspirations. We can decide later on a name. The first step is to get good ideas. Don't think about individual words but about the way to get there: What ways are there to form names?
Let's take "Bitsquare", they had to find a new name because the name was taken by some company, so they came up with "bisq". I don't like that one that much, but the concept is nice. It's just shortened "Bitsquare", and the result sounds like another word.
I agree! Minetest is more 'child friendly' too.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Just in case the voters turn the tables.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Casimir wrote:I vote for calling it "Minetest". It pretty much describes what this game is about.

+1
Oi

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Casimir wrote:1. It's not an engine.
Actually it is an engine. Minetest provides you with the mechanics to move around in a voxel-based environment and provides functionality to interact with that environment. You have functionality to add your own content or build your own version based on what Minetest provides and you're allowed to fully tweak the terrain generation or even add your own.
Casimir wrote:2. It has something to do with mining, kind of like Mine-craft but only half the way.
Minetest Game has to do with mining, yes. Minetest was initially created to test if it is possible to build a thing resembling Minecraft. This worked. And over time it became an engine providing a wide variety of voxel-based games.

Most of the games basing on "Minetest Game" and thus most games have to do with mining, that is correct. But once there was the unfortunately discontinued "UFO Race" sub game being a voxel-based racing game for the Minetest engine.
Casimir wrote:MTG isn't really a game,
That is correct. "Minetest Game" can be seen as "reference implementation" (actually the term "implementation" is a bit misleading here because the Minetest engine can't be "implemented" - you just create whatever you want and have the engine execute it). it has no real goal and by far isn't complete or anything near an actual game.

No-one ever thought of a direction, or a lore, or anything that resembles some kind of story or background. It just is a technical demonstration of what the engine is capable of (and it doesn't even use all of the engine's capabilities). A sandbox to play around with.

Casimir wrote:My idea of "aeonMT" was an example on how we can be more creative on finding a name, it wasn't intended to be a suggestion itself. One could easily come up with "ave" "A Voxel Engine", or redefine MT to "MountainousTerrain" (which has a good ring to it IMO).
Intended or not: "Aeon" simply works for the reasons I wrote earlier. "ave" doesn't. It has no further meaning and is not googleable. It could be seen as abbreviation for "awesome" at best, but that only works for English-speaking people. Redefining MT to "Mountainous Terrain" doesn't work either because there are world generators that do not create one single mountain.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

AveMine and other pray forms (Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant )

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

wierd name... ave caesar?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:wierd name... ave caesar?
It remembers me this:

But really, we are not getting anywhere with this discussion. By far one of the best ideas is to leave the original name, "MineTest".
Attachments
e4af7f49244160beef5b0d16370ce3bcc13c3cc77676aaef7c34ccd5afdb77fb.jpg
(85.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Oi

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

MineYoshi wrote:But really, we are not getting anywhere with this discussion.
Why not ? For me "Minum" is great for dark mind subgame in style as dwarfFortress trawel to deep of Earth )

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Nyarg wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:But really, we are not getting anywhere with this discussion.
Why not ? For me "Minum" is great for dark mind subgame in style as dwarfFortress trawel to deep of Earth )
I'm talking about getting a new name for Minetest.
Oi

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ok. Do we leave "Minetest" as the name, or choose "AeonMT" as a replacement?
Say your opinions.
Oi

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ah aeon is for me a pityful name but it's actually far better as mt so it does not disturbs me

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:ah aeon is for me a pityful name but it's actually far better as mt so it does not disturbs me
Why not to try "Voxelista" instead?
Oi

alexwbc

by alexwbc » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Some time ago someone came up with "Aeon" (or "Aeon MT" for respecting where it comes from and making it more googleable), an acronym for "An engine of nodes" which pretty much sums up what Minetest is but avoiding transformations of "Minetest", or focusing to one single aspect of it, or having "Mine..." or '...test' in it.

It also describes the intended playing duration (Aeon comes from Greek αιών, which means eternity) and the word is used in all languages and has roughly the same meaning all over the world.
Too bad it says nothing about the project itself, following the same logic... what about Edus?
Edus mean "kid" in latin (kids play with blocks) and also is the root for the word education which cover any age of kindergarten all the way up to professional formation.

What's Edus acronym for here?
"Engine Doing Uhmm... Stuff?" :P

Here's another one: Maveie
acroym for: Modularly Augmented Voxel Engine (with) Integrated Ecosystem

Basically it say: "this project is a simple voxel engine that generates ecosystems (terrain+biomes or muntain+trees if you prefer). But it can be powered by mods"

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

edus... hum no, it's not really about kids.

maveie howver is original but how the hell to say it? mayvay? mavie? maveihii?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

maveie is good.
Oi