No we won't!
48%
maybe yes or maybe no: please comment!
9%

Total votes: 199

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

by ABJ » Post

How about Kasatkincraft? You know, after

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

nope. but we should use the craft suffix
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

craftmania!

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

PIKAX

Name is simplified form of pickaxe, short, easy to remember

Symbol of game is something like:

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I have no idea for a good name, but none of the already suggested names sounds pleasant or noticeable or original to me. The name should neither contain the words "test" nor "craft" nor "mine" nor the suffix "-ia".

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Sergey wrote:PIKAX

that cool! i could think to a logo!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

NotAMoneyMaker :D

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

If the polls end in your favor when you don't have a name ready what will happen? Or is it manually stopped and not on a timer?
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:If the polls end in your favor when you don't have a name ready what will happen? Or is it manually stopped and not on a timer?
This is not an "official" poll.
If or when the time comes that the developers feel it needs to be done, I am sure the community here will know it.

As of right now, the name fits... because the project is not even at 1.0 yet, so basically is still in it's "testing" phase.
But, even after 1.0, dev will not suddenly cease..., it will always be a continuously, evolving project

But I do truly hope any new name will not include any words which are redundant, as I have stated before. But, that is just my own feelings about it.

There are already far too many mine this craft that, block, cube, etc.... as it is.

It would be like a car company adding the name "car" to the name of every single car they produce.
We know it's a car
Of course there is the "smart car" which throws everyone off because it is neither a "car", nor "smart" :P
I am sure much study, time and $ was put into coming up with that beauty.
A Wonderful World

u19503

by u19503 » Post

i like that

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

heh..., maybe it could be renamed to Insomnia :D

It certainly has the ability to induce it ; )
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Sounds and looks awful.
TumeniNodes wrote:heh..., maybe it could be renamed to Insomnia :D

It certainly has the ability to induce it ; )
You have a big point there. Insomnia would be a great name.
Have a nice day! :D

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

too late. It was a joke, based on fact anyway.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ts/1834174
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:too late. It was a joke, based on fact anyway.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ts/1834174
Interesting...

Glory!
GitHub: Glory7000
In-game: Glory7000

by Glory! » Post

No.

Minetest has just a ring to it, as well as a greater meaning than "Minecraft clone" that can't be replced with some fancy or generic name.

Minetest... is just a test of a Minecraft clone that eh a bunch of freaks started developing on my little side project. Imagine if VLC changed their name out of nowhere, or Super Tux Kart. Remember what the XBMC to Kodi name change was a while back; there are still XBMC packages laying around and people looking for XBMC. Plus, someone would make a fork of NotTestingMines and rename it to Minetest. A name change would be disastrous for the game.

Here are some excerpts from Bve World Wide Forums, recently discussing the OpenBVE name. (The developers never wanted to be an open source clone of Bve in the first place!)
leezer3 wrote:This sim diverged from plain BVE many years ago when Michelle introduced external views and animated files.
openBVE probably isn't the absolute best name anymore, but unfortunately the 'brand' is recognised (150+ hits a day just from Google search on the main site).
Quork wrote:Here in Germany, there's a saying: "Namen sind Schall und Rauch", which literally translates as "names are sound and smoke" and originates in Goethe's "Faust I" (Goethe is one of the most important German poets) and means "names are nothing but hollow words". If I remember correctly, already Michelle wasn't exactly happy with the name, but was stuck with it out of the same reasons Chris is now: The brand is too popular to change.
leezer3 wrote: Michelle was trying to rebrand to TrainsimFramework about the time she left, but this really wasn't successful, and she was meeting resistance from the community.
Michelle was the original dev and only worked two years or something; took one year to 1.0.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Glory! wrote:Minetest has just a ring to it, as well as a greater meaning than "Minecraft clone" that can't be replced with some fancy or generic name.
The only ring it has is one of incompleteness and shoddiness. A novice programmer's test -
that's what the name implies, that's the connotation

Vlc and super tux kart are both good names. Minetest isn't.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Glory!

by Glory! » Post

rubenwardy wrote: Vlc and super tux kart are both good names. Minetest isn't.
Sure, it's not the best, i'll give you on that, but it best describes us, we are a community helping one another with tbeir little projects and tests.

I forgot tomention probably the biggest audience for Minetest is anonymous, countless people not wanting to spend big bucks on Minecraft- either because they don't want to or can't- and if you change the name and they can't find it, they'll go play some game else.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Glory! wrote:
Sure, it's not the best, i'll give you on that, but it best describes us, we are a community helping one another with tbeir little projects and tests.

I forgot tomention probably the biggest audience for Minetest is anonymous, countless people not wanting to spend big bucks on Minecraft- either because they don't want to or can't- and if you change the name and they can't find it, they'll go play some game else.
I was one of those people lol.
If anything needs changing it's the logo, like I said before: "The name was fine, it was the logo that deterred me at first"...
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Glory! wrote:

I was one of those people lol.
If anything needs changing it's the logo, like I said before: "The name was fine, it was the logo that deterred me at first"...
And what could be a good idea for a logo?

Glory!

by Glory! » Post

MineYoshi wrote:And what could be a good idea for a logo?
Do you guys really want to destroy the system just for the sake of destroying the system? I don't think this is a communiry-wide problem, otherwise this topic would be on fire. Is it? I don't think it is.

The logo and name are fine for me.

If you really weally want to change the logo pretty please, it would be best to do small changes like make the beige more dirt brown or make the water more like water_source blue or the yellow more sand yellow; the dark orange on the tree dark brown lile wood. To me, it'd be really nice if the logo was made in MT, using an orthogonal camera or something.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Glory! wrote:Do you guys really want to destroy the system just for the sake of destroying the system? I don't think this is a communiry-wide problem, otherwise this topic would be on fire. Is it? I don't think it is.
There is russian saying "Как корабль назовёшь, так он и поплывёт" which does not have direct analog in English language but nevertheless it can be translated like "A ship will sail the way you name it". So if you name it "Shit" then it will sail like a shit. If you name it "Crap" then it will sail like a crap. Don't you notice that everybody wants to give honorable, noble name to their ship when launching it. Or in honor of some great people.

There is good old russian cartoon "Приключения капитана Врунгеля" ("Adventures of Captain Wrongel") about captain Wrongel who wanted to win the regatta. He and his chief mate built a ship, called it "ПОБЕДА" ("VICTORY"), nailed big letters on the stern of it. But during first little incident happened with the ship, two first letters "ПО" fell off, so name became "БЕДА" ("TROUBLE"). So here troubles (or adventures) began (during 13 episodes of this cartoon).

Everything I said is like a parable about the name, its meaning and influence.

P.S. Test is test. It does not have serious meaning.

Glory!

by Glory! » Post

I'm not saying Minetest will perform as good as a Minecraft clone test. I personally see it as a game, as etertainment, as something casual, a little side project that grew big with the community.

What I meant on my previous post is that if the name was bothering the community, there would be an organic increase in complaints about the name and/or logo, but there isn't. From the poll, despite the small amount of voters, most people are fine with the current name, and even if we give the benefit of doubt to the last option, it's an even 50% - 50% split, a very unlikely scenario.

If you wanted to be serious, you should have posted in the general discussion section, where you'd have a bigger reach and heard more voices, resulting in a much more accurate representation of what the community wants. This subforum doesn't seem to get as much traffic as General Discussion. If you ask some people but not all, you'll get skewed poll results. If you ask too little people, the results will also be skewed, as one single vote can disrupt drastically the surveying.

Plus, you can't simply rename Minetest- a name and a logo is a project's identity, it's not a feature, as the parent subforum seems to tell. It's like if you woke up a completely different person but had the same memories, experiences, skills... as your peers are shocked from the radical and sudden change, or you modded your car to be pink with a huge lime spoiler and switched the motor to diesel or something while your wife was at work. You'll probably be able to call yourself single after that.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

you see minetest? what do you think when first seeing this name? here a list of REAL things that guys i know thought.
  1. It's Minecraft!!
  2. What!? another bad clone?!
  3. I bet it will be a piece of <censored>
  4. A good game can't be called something"test"
  5. When i'll finish playing real games, i'll go see your little crap game !
  6. I have minecraft, why would i play a copy of it?
  7. I'm sure it's full of ads!
Don't you think it is good for us? I've never heard someone ssay something like: "Looks interesting", or, "i'll try it"!
Te only people who where interested were the ones serching for illegal MC crack games.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Glory! wrote:What I meant on my previous post is that if the name was bothering the community, there would be an organic increase in complaints about the name and/or logo, but there isn't. From the poll, despite the small amount of voters, most people are fine with the current name, and even if we give the benefit of doubt to the last option, it's an even 50% - 50% split, a very unlikely scenario.
The poll is biased, as you only hear from the most active members who tend to be those that aren't bothered by the name. On Reddit the two main criticised parts are the name, and the GUI.

Whenever I tell anybody IRL about the game, the always respond by positively about the concept until I mention the name. The suffix test has bad connotations, plus the fact it's uninventively prefixing mine(craft) on the front.

It is arguable at this point in the game whether a name change will overall give us more or less players - it's seven years since Minecraft was released from beta, at which point most of the hype is gone.
Glory! wrote:It's like if you woke up a completely different person but had the same memories, experiences, skills... as your peers are shocked from the radical and sudden change, or you modded your car to be pink with a huge lime spoiler and switched the motor to diesel or something while your wife was at work. You'll probably be able to call yourself single after that.
It's more like if you woke up and decided to file for a legal name change. You're exactly the same, just with a different name.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:What!? another bad clone?!
I recently saw the first few minutes of a video on YouTube where Minetest was called "a rip-off of Minecraft".