Page 2 of 30

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 14:50
by azekill_DIABLO
bump

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 15:42
by Sergey
Use Voxelia whilst this name is free.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 17:17
by azekill_DIABLO
it could be nice for sure! but what about a name with build? buildia55?

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 17:21
by Sergey
azekill_DIABLO wrote:it could be nice for sure! but what about a name with build? buildia55?

Why not 56?

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 18:44
by azekill_DIABLO
celeron55

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 18:46
by Sergey
azekill_DIABLO wrote:celeron55

suffix 55 is forever?

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 19:49
by TumeniNodes
It will be "BOB"
I already paid off celeron55 and the devs....
They're all happy...
get used to it....

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:00
by Sergey
TumeniNodes wrote:It will be "BOB"
I already paid off celeron55 and the devs....
They're all happy...
get used to it....

In Russian language ВОВ is acronym for Великая Отечественная Война or Great Patriotic War — the term is used in Russia and other former republics of the Soviet Union to describe the conflict fought during the period from 22 June 1941 to 9 May 1945 along the many fronts of the Eastern Front of World War II between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany and its allies. War during which about 27 millions of Soviet people were killed by German Nazi.

<sarcasm>"Super" name for the game!</sarcasm>

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:02
by Sergey
TumeniNodes wrote:It will be "BOB"
I already paid off celeron55 and the devs....
They're all happy...
get used to it....

So many times I heard about your "BOB". And I have to say your joke is boring and not funny.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:32
by TumeniNodes
For not knowing what the acronym stood for In Russia, I do apologize.
Where I am from it is just a name... no offence was intended.

As a side note... you don't need to be an ass about it either.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:33
by azekill_DIABLO
so which name? sorry for the 55, it was just an idea!

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 08:50
by Sergey
First, we need poll with names as alternatives, not just "should" or "should not"?
Second, list of alternatives should not be fixed, and anyone can add his/her variant if it's missing.

Are there some kind of mentioned polls in Internet?

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26
by azekill_DIABLO
idk...

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 18:52
by Wuzzy
So far, the majority is against a name change.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 19:27
by Sergey
Wuzzy wrote:So far, the majority is against a name change.

1) The gap is not so big.
2) There are only 29 voters. It is not a representative sample.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 19:47
by MineYoshi
Sergey wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:So far, the majority is against a name change.

1) The gap is not so big.
2) There are only 29 voters. It is not a representative sample.

Until you think the game is ready, until you think the game is at the level of a professionally finished product, then change the name to something that states that isn't just some test anymore.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 20:00
by Sergey
MineYoshi wrote:
Sergey wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:So far, the majority is against a name change.

1) The gap is not so big.
2) There are only 29 voters. It is not a representative sample.

Until you think the game is ready, until you think the game is at the level of a professionally finished product, then change the name to something that states that isn't just some test anymore.

Why do you think that only version 1.0 deserve to be renamed?
Or maybe tons of software with versions prior 1.0 must be named <lala>test?

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 20:29
by rubenwardy
MineYoshi wrote:
Sergey wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:So far, the majority is against a name change.

1) The gap is not so big.
2) There are only 29 voters. It is not a representative sample.

Until you think the game is ready, until you think the game is at the level of a professionally finished product, then change the name to something that states that isn't just some test anymore.


I think we're close to being ready, we just need a more polished product (nicer UI/UX). Part of this is better "marketing", ie: a better name. A lot of people are turned away by the name "Minetest"

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:10
by MineYoshi
rubenwardy wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:
Sergey wrote:1) The gap is not so big.
2) There are only 29 voters. It is not a representative sample.

Until you think the game is ready, until you think the game is at the level of a professionally finished product, then change the name to something that states that isn't just some test anymore.


I think we're close to being ready, we just need a more polished product (nicer UI/UX). Part of this is better "marketing", ie: a better name. A lot of people are turned away by the name "Minetest"

By far there are still some issues out there to solve, such as missing features, bugs (Sneak Ladder in example) and as you said, make a better User Interface and in-game User Experience.
If you are going to rename the engine, the default subgame also known as "Minetest Game" should be renamed too, i think you are missing that point.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:16
by TumeniNodes
One of the problems in searching for a new name is, everyone is stuck on/focused on specific words, such as "block", "cube", "mine", etc....

The times I have mentioned BOB, it has been intended to stand for "Built On Blocks" but due to understandable reasons, it is definitely not a good idea. (not that it was ever a good idea)

But, if people try to step outside of the entire Minethisorthatcubicblockything... a better and unique name will come eventually...

Maybe something as far off as "Your World"
If the attempt is going to be to point out the obvious with the name..., the name will suck.

People will know what the game is about right off from screenshots, as well as being labelled as a "Minecraft-like game". So no need to be lame and exploit the same old naming conventions that literally everyone else has already done... over, and over, and over, and over.....

And people will also know it is an open project as well as free. So not really a need to have those words in the name either... It would be just adding to the redundancy.

Oh look..., it's called ... "Cube Miner", Cube World", "Mine Blocks"..., how creative and original.... (not)

TBH I think it should be called "It's Free Quit Complaining'" ; )

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 00:02
by MineYoshi
TumeniNodes wrote:One of the problems in searching for a new name is, everyone is stuck on/focused on specific words, such as "block", "cube", "mine", etc....

The times I have mentioned BOB, it has been intended to stand for "Built On Blocks" but due to understandable reasons, it is definitely not a good idea. (not that it was ever a good idea)

But, if people try to step outside of the entire Minethisorthatcubicblockything... a better and unique name will come eventually...

Maybe something as far off as "Your World"
If the attempt is going to be to point out the obvious with the name..., the name will suck.

People will know what the game is about right off from screenshots, as well as being labelled as a "Minecraft-like game". So no need to be lame and exploit the same old naming conventions that literally everyone else has already done... over, and over, and over, and over.....

And people will also know it is an open project as well as free. So not really a need to have those words in the name either... It would be just adding to the redundancy.

Oh look..., it's called ... "Cube Miner", Cube World", "Mine Blocks"..., how creative and original.... (not)

TBH I think it should be called "It's Free Quit Complaining'" ; )



"Build With Voxels" would be a good name. Maybe "Portable Blocky Builder" would work too.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 13:46
by TumeniNodes
I had a thought the other day...
Wondering what people think of it and, it is the only "real" name I have thrown forward in a serious manner....

Mesetopia
or
Mesetonia

and with the idea, as I think some have mentioned in the past? Mese is an alien power source?
Well, what if it is and, it is actually part of the core of Mesetopia... and we could even add liquid Mese source, and flowing to the liquids code? (which would generate at lower/or deeper levels than lava)

But it would still remain in solid form as well, as it has been right along, and is a source of light and power

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 14:03
by Sergey
TumeniNodes wrote:Mesetopia

I don't like word "Mese" at all. I don't even know how to pronounce it correctly. Anyway it sounds... weird... not funny (like one finnish guy said)... it is weird, not usual for tongue in my mouth. IDK, I don't like this word.

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 14:05
by Sergey
Vote for Voxelia

Re: Should we rename Minetest? (poll)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 14:53
by ABJ
How about Ace of the Test?