Re: What is a grief?

by MineYoshi » Post

A grief is a vandal in other terms, a griefer likes to commite Vandalism:
https://infogalactic.com/info/Vandalism
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Griefing is, IMHO, changing of environments created by other player, against the server rules, with the intention of causing negative emotions.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

It's all of this. But how can you know if the grief was intentional?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

You don't. You judge based on what the players say.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yes, you see, it's a problem. It's why server should have great protection mods!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:yes, you see, it's a problem. It's why server should have great protection mods!
And why the players should protect :P I just went to a server and tore up someone's unprotected house, and she told me that I'll have to pay a $1000 fine or go to jail. Am I really going to jail, or is she just talking?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

BBmine wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:yes, you see, it's a problem. It's why server should have great protection mods!
And why the players should protect :P I just went to a server and tore up someone's unprotected house, and she told me that I'll have to pay a $1000 fine or go to jail. Am I really going to jail, or is she just talking?
I like to enter inside protected buildings and steal from unprotected chests, is funny to see how players think that because they have their building protected nobody will ever go inside.

LaserJet
In-game: LaserJet

by LaserJet » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:To me a griefer is someone who intentionally annoys or harms others without breaking the game mechanics. For example the things you described.
i agree with this guy/girl
In order, LaserJet, RubyJet, and xYOSIYAx are my usernames with my currently used one is xYOSIYAx (because I had to have the same username everywhere). You may call me xY or my username

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

LaserJet wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:To me a griefer is someone who intentionally annoys or harms others without breaking the game mechanics. For example the things you described.
i agree with this guy/girl
There's a 70% chance of him being a man. Or just say "I agree with this person" if you're unsure about gender.

zadocallen
In-game: Leuden

by zadocallen » Post

Problem : Invasive building, Hinting that Dungeon Masters frequent the area (Not im my memory) in an otherwise empty landscape miles away from civilization (other than a mining operation nearby) a player chose to build a god-awful monstrosity not 100 blocks away. This is so deliberate it's not funny. I ask if something can be done. Not exactly griefing but player harassment.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

zadocallen wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 18:59
Problem : Invasive building, Hinting that Dungeon Masters frequent the area (Not im my memory) in an otherwise empty landscape miles away from civilization (other than a mining operation nearby) a player chose to build a god-awful monstrosity not 100 blocks away. This is so deliberate it's not funny. I ask if something can be done. Not exactly griefing but player harassment.
depends on the server rules and administration.
generally, unprotected areas are free for grabs. exceptions are usually made for community projects such as roads and/or cities.
if you have neither, and the other build is not negatively affecting your own area (casting shadows, spilling water) then you likely have no grounds to argue on.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

I try never to even take down expensive not protected areas, where I see clear some other player build something, not ready, or not good skills.
A good gamer even never need to grief, as should be able to DiY
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Griefing can be also harvesting resources from nature in a way which results in leaving ugly artefacts, such as random pits, trunkless trees, large deforested areas, etc..

Removing or rebuilding an ugly building might be also considered as griefing if it is done without the consent of its builder. You should rather ask the server staff before doing so.

Building monstreous buildings is an edge case but it might be regulated by the server rules in different means. If you are going to build such huge project, better ask the staff if it is okay with everyone.

I think that most griefings are not intentional vandalisms. They are done by random players who join random servers and then leave forever, not knowing at all what they do. Maybe they think that Minetest is like Fortnite. Pursuing these are usually just a waste of time.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I mean, it's in the name, really: playing in a way that specifically causes other people grief (makes them upset). In other words, trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the platform. That can include all kinds of behaviors, whether or not they would even be acceptable according to (other) rules were the victims not there and targeted by it.

Whether the people they target have taken measures to protect themselves against it is irrelevant and doesn't excuse the actions of the griefer. Victim blaming is stupid.

That doesn't mean that the resolution always has to be the same. It probably IS better to empower and educate people and give them ways to address the matter themselves then to just blanket ban anyone who ever exhibits problematic behavior. And perhaps to help make up for the harm they have been done (e.g. when it works just give them some stuff they may have lost and spent a bunch of time gaining). And it's probably better to give the people doing the harm more interesting things to do so they can enjoy themselves without harming others too, when possible.

As in real life, there are forms of justice that go beyond simple punishment, and they usually work better for everyone when they can be applied.

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

griefer.png
griefer.png (52.33 KiB) Viewed 861 times