Should MESE be better+rarer than Diamond? (Poll)

Should MESE be better+rarer than Diamond?

Yea!
34%
I like it the way it is (No)
43%
I want to veiw both sides of the argument first.
7%
Other (Please post your opinion)
16%

Total votes: 76

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Should MESE be better+rarer than Diamond? (Poll)

by Lone_Wolf » Post

IMO MESE should be tougher. MC's best 'tool ore' is diamond too. If we're not going to add armor because it's too MC why not differ with tools also?
Last edited by Lone_Wolf on Wed Aug 30, 2017 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: Should MESE be better+rarer than Diamond? (Poll)

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I'm not trying to crowd the topics btw xD
I'm just VERY interested & curious about this game. Once I finish learning 'C' I'm going to learn lua and start contributing to this awesome game!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

It's dependable to subgame I think, due MT haven't Lore because have subgame orienting.
So the question may be pronounced like "What is default MT subgame", then "What is Lore" and at end "How rare MeSe is"
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

I vote for excluding Mese items (ore, blocks) from the game?
I don't understand why we need alien ore and blocks, especially with weird names and weird pronunciation. Why not adding real minerals found in Earth?

Read this and you will know many different real minerals and ores we have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Sergey wrote:I vote for excluding Mese items (ore, blocks) from the game?
I don't understand why we need alien ore and blocks, especially with weird names and weird pronunciation. Why not adding real minerals found in Earth?

Read this and you will know many different real minerals and ores we have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore
Well, Mese is a defining point of Minetest, and many people love it. Removing it would not only make many people angry, but it would also ruin many mods, such as those that use Mese in a craft (i.e. at least half of the mods out there!), and other ones like mesecons and digilines.

The pronunciation is not very weird. The name as weird any other random word. It could be as real as anything else. Seriously, if you want it to be real, find a subgame or make one that is more to your standards.

About other ores/minerals: Most any other notable ore is already added in a mod. Minetest Game has no need for more ores, and adding more would be basically useless Tin only has one use, and it is useless otherwise The steel/copper combo was better because in real life, bronze is weaker than steel.

Lastly, we don't need alien ores. It just so happened that Mese (which is, I believe, a joke) was the first ore Celeron55 programmed into Minetest, and nobody took it out, and it became a big part of Minetest.

So overall, replacing Mese is a bad idea.

Sorry, but this revolution of yours will not work :P
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

MeSe is an expand point after all.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

John_Constructor
GitHub: John-Constructor
In-game: Nooberton

by John_Constructor » Post

On the idea of making it rarer and better: I'd say no because it is too used for what you need MANY of, if someone has Mesecons and a few other mese-heavy mods, uses up all that mese directly before the update reducing the amount per mapblock- upon loading new mapblocks trying to find more mese for their technologies (< This probably implies it already is better, to a degree.) would result in a potential need to use up more of their resources simply to create (For EXAMPLE) their next automated door in their underground facility at -1000.
Constructing mechs and wingless aircraft since 2016.

Punk

by Punk » Post

Mese ore is more common than diamond ore, but mese block is more rare than ore diamond. Looks like perfect.
I don't understand why mese axe is better than diamond axe.

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

If we look at diamond as a currency, and Mese an alien artifact with certain phenomenal properties, then I don't think we should say one is better than the other.

In terms of which is harder to find, or makes faster/better/stronger tools and armor, I think minetest_game does a fine job as it is. Of course, this can be easily altered!

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

This is a very unimportant issue, it has no effect on gameplay and minimal effect on how the game feels in general.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Byakuren wrote:This is a very unimportant issue, it has no effect on gameplay [...]
Uhhh... the title of the poll asks if the gameplay *should* be changed...
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

kaadmy wrote:
Byakuren wrote:This is a very unimportant issue, it has no effect on gameplay [...]
Uhhh... the title of the poll asks if the gameplay *should* be changed...
If mese and diamond swap places in goodness and rarity then the only thing that has changed is the sprites, which is not gameplay.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

https://github.com/HybridDog/minetest_g ... d80a3fc068
I've made mese better for weak nodes that diamond tools aren't better in every respect (other than crafting recipe items' price) than mese tools.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

IMO, raw mese should be about as good as bronze, but compressing it should make it twice as good as diamond.
What is SCP-055?

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

Mese glows and makes eternal lights better than fire. That is a great quality. It should not be stronger or even as strong as diamond.
On the diamond subject, coal ore that is next to lava that is then cooled should have good odds of producing diamond.This would give players yet another reason to risk their lives playing with lava. :)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

For MTGame 0.5.0 i have redistributed the valuable ores, mese ore and diamond are now both found at y = -512, equalising their rarity, mese block is unchanged at y = -1024.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Otter wrote:Mese glows and makes eternal lights better than fire. That is a great quality. It should not be stronger or even as strong as diamond.
On the diamond subject, coal ore that is next to lava that is then cooled should have good odds of producing diamond.This would give players yet another reason to risk their lives playing with lava. :)
you have brought up an interesting point. maybe mese tools should keep their attributes, but produce light when held, slightly less than that of a post light.
this would be very beneficial when mining, and give it a reason not to be OP (for the sake of balance)
also i know this is possible because there is a mod with a flashlight that does this
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Otter wrote:Mese glows and makes eternal lights better than fire. That is a great quality. It should not be stronger or even as strong as diamond.
you have brought up an interesting point. maybe mese tools should keep their attributes, but produce light when held, slightly less than that of a post light.
this would be very beneficial when mining, and give it a reason not to be OP (for the sake of balance)
also i know this is possible because there is a mod with a flashlight that does this
I love this idea. I think a mese shard torch for underwater and having mese tools glow would make them more valuable than diamond in a lot of cases even if the mese lasted half as long.

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

diamond is an industrial ore so it makes since to be the fastest standard ore tools (key part standard)

mese is a programming joke so isn't a real ore or mineral its sorta mysterious and mystical
I feel mese shouldn't even have its own tool set instead it can be used to either enhance other tools cinda like enchanting
or be used as an alloy catalyst to make more metals
or be used to craft more mysterious items like polysakens flashlight tools
or otters underwater torch idea
we have both mese lamps and mese light posts but who knows what strange tech makes these lamps glow?
maybe add mesecons to the default subgame?
perhaps use mese to craft machines not like tech mods (technic, buildtest, itest, volttest, and the like) but simple things like faster furnaces or more fuel efficient furnaces or how about auto/motor boats that go faster or flying boat like planes or ufos the possibility's are endless
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

trev
In-game: trev

by trev » Post

Hey, enchanting with MESE!

I like that idea!
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Definitely not. That would mean changing ways, breaking compats(currently thinking of more_weapons mod in Magic-CTF were Mese is considered to be weaker than Diamond). You'd break every tier system.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

Mese should have more uses.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Blasphemy! MESE is already perfect!
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

There are already multiple uses for mese. Everything "special" in the game relies on mese - think of mesecons, heli mod, carts(powered rails),...
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Buskirk

by Buskirk » Post

As much as I'd like to say that MESE should be rarer than Diamonds, I think it's more fun the way it is now. I think it would take too much time otherwise and make things less fun.