Let's advertise minetest!

u19503

Let's advertise minetest!

by u19503 » Post

We need to advertise minetest but how, can anyone help with this?

Why you ask
If we have a bigger community we can get a lot More done and alot faster just imagine minetest development with a community like the one of Minecraft
Also more community content :)

I think the best way to do this is to advertise minetest on the Minecraft forum and other forums

Tell me what you think!

Nyarg

Re: Let's advertise minetest!

by Nyarg » Post

Without shadows implemented ????
How do you all dream it ???
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I would not advertise on the MC forum.

and for what it is worth..., quantity, is the opposite of quality.

Better to reach out to skilled individuals..., programmers/coders, gui and graphics designers, etc...

It is not so much "advertising" that is needed but, recruiting. (and not to the extent of being obnoxious, pushy, annoying, etc...) <-- just adding that for good measure.

it is more about personally contacting these sort of individuals, and sharing a link for minetest..., and leave it at that.
If they are curious, they will peek.
And be sure to inform them you are contacting them on your own accord and not as a member of the developer team, etc..

Start "advertising" on MC forums and such and it could bring various issues which are unwanted
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:I would not advertise on the MC forum.

and for what it is worth..., quantity, is the opposite of quality.

Better to reach out to skilled individuals..., programmers/coders, gui and graphics designers, etc...

It is not so much "advertising" that is needed but, recruiting. (and not to the extent of being obnoxious, pushy, annoying, etc...) <-- just adding that for good measure.

it is more about personally contacting these sort of individuals, and sharing a link for minetest..., and leave it at that.
If they are curious, they will peek.
And be sure to inform them you are contacting them on your own accord and not as a member of the developer team, etc..

Start "advertising" on MC forums and such and it could bring various issues which are unwanted
Let's follow the plan of this man. +1
Have a nice day! :D

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

toby109tt wrote:I think the best way to do this is to advertise minetest on the Minecraft forum and other forums
No, that would be the worst way.

I know that MT community is small (there are sinle MC servers that have more players at the same time than all of the registered MT servers have slots in total) but it's spammy behavior and will be seen as that and in future people will associate MT with non-MT forum spam.

Plus: Compared to Minecraft Minetest is alpha software. Before we can "advertise" anywhere "in the outside world" we need a shit-ton of polishing.
TumeniNodes wrote:Better to reach out to skilled individuals..., programmers/coders, gui and graphics designers, etc...
We should crowdsource hiring a professional artist to design a set of matching, perfectly good locking default textures and defining a style guide for new textures. And if there is some money left we should also hire an UI designer to clean up that mess we currently call "UI". :)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

somebody's gonna hire me? :P
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:somebody's gonna hire me? :P
Show some examples of your work :)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

for free or donations is better for this sort of project, (meaning MT).
less restrictions/more freedom, casual time frames
more community-ish

One of the areas I do feel some form of paid, outside sources makes sense is shaders.
Extremely difficult to recruit experts in that crowd, due to it's complexity.

Then again, for MT..., most shaders work should be kept very faint / pastel-like.
Meaning not overly bold in their settings, because then it would contrast with the overall look and feel.

Water shaders, for instance. Would they be nice? Yes, but with a hint of a reflection, not to be overdone with realism.

Then again, this is just my preference..., I like things to be subtle, not in your face like you're being assaulted.
A Wonderful World

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

nrz wrote:Windows XP is not supported anymore
With this bad news I miss to want to advertise MT.
Fact about missing compatible seems like kidding for so simple game based on open source and a hard&soft-friendly ideas.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

I've seen billboards around that are empty and waiting to be filled. I sometimes wonder if I should buy that billboard space and put up a big ad for Minetest xD

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

BBmine wrote:I've seen billboards around that are empty and waiting to be filled. I sometimes wonder if I should buy that billboard space and put up a big ad for Minetest xD
ever looked into how much it costs? (make sure you have nothing in your mouth when you see)
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
BBmine wrote:I've seen billboards around that are empty and waiting to be filled. I sometimes wonder if I should buy that billboard space and put up a big ad for Minetest xD
ever looked into how much it costs? (make sure you have nothing in your mouth when you see)
It does depend upon what you service use to advertise. Also, you would have to target to sites that'd make it.
I've seen this site, judge by yourselves:
https://www.buysellads.com/
There is also this site limited to USA, see what you can find:
http://www.nationwideadvertising.com/placonclas.html

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I'll get my car shrink wrapped with MT logo and scene :D
and go around punching stuff
A Wonderful World

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

If anything I personally believe that making the development as open and as friendly for new developers as possible is key. For this to happen the organizational structure needs to be able to scale, so that decision making on what goes in and what does not doesn't become a bottleneck. It also means constantly upgrade to whatever tools, pipelines and services developers are currently comfortable working with.

Advertising is definitely not the solution. The interest in Minetest has been quite higher before this point in time. You can't bring that back artificially by simple advertising. Knowledge about the game/engine/project isn't the issue, I believe. Interest is.

We all know that Minetest piggybacks on the success of Minecraft and so when the interest in Minecraft fades, so will Minetest's (compare the curves). The only way to make interest stick over time for Minetest is to boost a welcoming community, developer friendly and game make friendly model further. It doesn't have to follow the path of a commercial game product because communities have different interests than business. Make it social:

- Use forum software that integrates with the development of the engine and subgames. Facilitate communications between players and developers in a meaningful way.
- Start Patreons for core developers to sustain themselves.
- Look up open source developer grants
- Start integrating with indie game platforms. Itch and the others is where the player base can be found.
- Amplify user generated let's play, long play or other videos in official channels. Display it front and center on the Minetest website.
- A unique default subgame wouldn't hurt. :)

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

Another thing, do we make bumper stickers? For a while I've been wanting to buy a Minetest bumper sticker to put on my car (I ain't even got a car yet xD), and maybe even a HOMETOWN bumper sticker. :D

u19503

by u19503 » Post

We should crowdsource hiring a professional artist to design a set of matching, perfectly good locking default textures and defining a style guide for new textures. And if there is some money left we should also hire an UI designer to clean up that mess we currently call "UI". :)
I agree with that plan but No pro Wants To do this for free

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Instead of reaching out to someone who has zero heart in the project, why not fund existing community talent? Contractors lack years of MT community participation. Raise money inside the community instead.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Nice idea! Due to it we can achieve appearance of huge community on MT Game! Only it needs do no in Minecraft forum, but everywhere. For example, on YouTube.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I'm not really a friend of advertisement in general. IMO advertisement shoud only go so far to inform people that something exists. I am generally against advertisement if it has to be shoved down your throat, or has a commercial background.
But here you go:

Well, the most obvious way to “advertise” Minetest is to talk to your friends about it, play some games, host LAN parties, etc. You know, actually playing Minetest.

Also, post Minetest (more specifically: it's subgames) on various online game databases like LGDB. https://lgdb.org/
LGDB is Linux-specific, I'm sure there are many other online databases out there but I don't care about them. If someone wants to post Minetest +subgames on these sites, that would be great.

On LGDB I have added entries for Minetest and 4 subgames. Feel free to suggest/add other subgames (provided they are good enough. LGDB is good in that it actually seperates engine from game, so there is no conflation between Minetest and Minetest Game. Please keep this in mind when posting Minetest (+subgames) on other databases.

Here is the entry for Minetest on LGDB.
https://lgdb.org/engine/minetest

I also found an entry on itch.io, but it is very low quality:
https://red-001.itch.io/minetest

If you need inspiration for writing a Minetest entry on any particular database, you could use the Minetest Wiki:
http://wiki.minetest.net/Minetest

It is very important IMO that Minetest at least appears in these databases.

Third, Minetest (+subgames) should become more appaling to newcomers. Please replace the default subgame. Or radically rethink what Minetest Game is supposed to be. As of now, Minetest Game is still too incomplete and boring and has a very low gameplay depth, and the project is heading nowhere.

Finally, if anyone feels like reaching out to developers, you could try FreeGameDev: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewforum.php?f=22
Strange that nobody posted here yet.

Personally, I don't care much about making Minetest known to a broad audience. I don't often play online, but when I do, there seems to be already a playing online community of a healthy size. It appears to be much larger at the moment as for Xonotic.
I don't have the nerves for all that reaching out. I'm more interested in playing. And maybe creating some good mods and games on my own.

I hope my little big post helped. :-)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I agree.
As far as attempting to bring in new, skilled talent..., that would be more recruiting. And cannot be forced, simply a nudge to the information for Minetest.

And as far as for userbase.. well, I have seen a couple of MC servers and have watched quite a few vids of live play on MC and..., seems like hosting a big cookout where everyone just dumps their kids off, pumped up with sugar, and leave. And that's just the mostly adult users :P

Just recently though I saw a brief screenshot of a MT server chat and have to say..... just WOW.
for the most part though, currently, it seems MT is a friendlier, environment.
But as is typical with youth, can get quite drama intensive. But on the MC scale, it's just out of control.

And the more MT grows, and starts drawing in large chunks from the MC userbase, it will flood over into the forums, etc...
I'm not sure I (personally) could handle that :P
A Wonderful World

BBmine

by BBmine » Post

I plan to host LAN parties with MT in a few years :D

harmony
IRC: ynomrah
In-game: ynomrah

by harmony » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:I'll get my car shrink wrapped with MT logo and scene :D
and go around punching stuff
Lol advertising Minetest isnt that bad of an idea I'll do it too xD
저는 방탄소년단 를 사랑해요!!! 아미!! 김남준,김석진,민윤기,정호석,박지민,김태형,전정국,방탄소년단!
저는 블랙핑크 를 사랑해요!!! 블링크!! 김지수,김제니,박채영,리사(ปราณ ปริ ยา มโน บาล)

harmony
IRC: ynomrah
In-game: ynomrah

by harmony » Post

BBmine wrote:I plan to host LAN parties with MT in a few years :D
LAN parties??
저는 방탄소년단 를 사랑해요!!! 아미!! 김남준,김석진,민윤기,정호석,박지민,김태형,전정국,방탄소년단!
저는 블랙핑크 를 사랑해요!!! 블링크!! 김지수,김제니,박채영,리사(ปราณ ปริ ยา มโน บาล)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: And the more MT grows, and starts drawing in large chunks from the MC userbase, it will flood over into the forums, etc...
I'm not sure I (personally) could handle that :P
So far it's better to handle those "large chunks" and educate them about OpenSource and such things. Of course better community staff will be needed for attending so much people.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

harmony wrote:
BBmine wrote:I plan to host LAN parties with MT in a few years :D
LAN parties??
You’re just too young to know that :)