Cheating?

lionfury

Cheating?

by lionfury » Post

I was wondering today, how many of you consider doing one of the following things to be cheating?

1. Using /giveme instead of actually mining and/or crafting.

2. using free move to build tall structures.

If they are cheating, then why?
If not, why not and do you use them personally?
Mining... mining..... and more mining........

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

it depends do you do it for the building or for the experience or both note only one of these justifys this

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

its a sandbox game, nobody's making any points, how can one cheat? the worse you can do is say you built something legit when you didn't, but again, who's keeping score?

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process.

Of course if you want to play the game for a more creative purpose, Creative game mode, then using the commands don't count as cheating.

However I do consider it cheating if you do use them while playing on the regular mode, where mining is the only way to acquire the resources.

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

NakedFury wrote:Cheating refers to an immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process.

Of course if you want to play the game for a more creative purpose, Creative game mode, then using the commands don't count as cheating.

However I do consider it cheating if you do use them while playing on the regular mode, where mining is the only way to acquire the resources.
Agreed that's why recently , fly and fast privilege exists, allowing to have better regular(survival) game mode.
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

punbb009

by punbb009 » Post

well it depends on the player if he wanted to use the GIVE cheat but NakedFury is right On regular mode there is no way to acquire the resources But Mine Mine Mine

and i think Thats why on 0.4 Flying capability is removed
^^-_Mining Like A Boss_-^^

lionfury

by lionfury » Post

As for me personally, I use flight to place high bricks. Mostly because I play minetest for it's creative value, although I do mine and craft all my resources. I use /giveme for impossible items like junglegrass and mese (was removed from newest mapgen)
Mining... mining..... and more mining........