Just some note for uploader & viewer of Minetest videos

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

Just some note for uploader & viewer of Minetest videos

by mnh48 » Post

There's been many players who recorded their gameplay of Minetest and posted on YouTube (and other video sites) but some of them are not watchable on some platform or some version of apps, and sometimes it only applied to some region/country, for example this video is not available on Android YouTube app in Malaysia (not sure on other country):

I have a few suggestions for both video uploader and video viewer.

UPLOADER
(1) Don't put copyrighted music into the video. Music organizations like Universal Music Group (UMG) is very strict about using their music in any video and they will block those videos from some of mobile & TV users, these users could then only watch the video on desktop. Even if you credited the artist, or put that "copyright disclaimer" passage in the description, or in the video itself, it will still be blocked. What YouTube write about this issue is because the organization can't place advertisement on those platforms, so they block the video from even playable.

Users who uses most up-to-date apps will usually not having this issue because advertisement could appear on the newer apps, but not everyone could update their apps, either because not enough available storage, Android is confused with storage (Android did force me to clear up space to install 9MB upate even though I already have 491MB of space) or limited internet quota (by limited, imagine a 500MB per MONTH quota... luckily I could afford a 600MB per WEEK quota, lol)

(2) You could use open-source music carrying Creative Commons license (or other open-source license) but remember to credit them, because most of the time, the license requires you to credit them.

(3) If you already uploaded video with copyrighted music in it, you could try to swap the music with YouTube's library, but be careful and read the license so resulting video will not blocked yet again.

(4) Most people don't care about video resolutions (only minority will say NO, WE NEED 1080p 60 FPS VIDEO... they're very inconsiderate), but make sure to not put any black bars on top/bottom or left/right of video, and don't stretch the video. People will be more comfortable to watch a video as is, YouTube will automatically adjusts the video depends on device... Stretching a square video to widescreen is not comfortable to watch at all.

However, if the resulting video off recording is already having black bars, it's fine, just state somewhere that it's already like that. This is the case for recording from tablets or phone gameplay because it's trying to record standard resolution from odd resolution device (eg. recording 1920*1080pixels from a 1920*1200pixels screen) and cropping the bars will cause some drop in quality. If you're recording on PC, make sure it's recording correctly so no bars will be inside resulting recording.

VIEWER
(1) If you came across videos like the one I showed earlier, force it to open in browser app and force to load desktop version of YouTube to watch the video, because the video was restricted to not show in mobile & TV users. By TV, I mean the YouTube apps on smart TV, that gets blocked too if mobile app is blocked from watching the videos.
Here's the earlier video forced to desktop mode:
(Yes, I watch in 360p because I'm saving my quota, lol.)

(2) Respect the uploader and shows support, don't forget to subscribe them if you have YouTube account! By respect, don't be the minority who asks WHERE'S 1080p 60FPS VIDEO on a 480p video recorded off Android Minetest. Accept the video as is. :)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: Just some note for uploader & viewer of Minetest videos

by GreenXenith » Post

I plan on using only music from NCS (No Copyright Sounds) in my videos. I hope that works..
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

Re: Just some note for uploader & viewer of Minetest videos

by mnh48 » Post

GreenDimond wrote:I plan on using only music from NCS (No Copyright Sounds) in my videos. I hope that works..
If you're talking about nocopyrightsounds.co.uk then yes, it should work as long as you properly credited them...

From http://nocopyrightsounds.co.uk/info/
NCS wrote:When using our music in your content you MUST comply with the following:
Include the full title of the track (Stating the music was provided by NoCopyrightSounds)
Include a link to the video of the track used on NCS YouTube.
Credit the artist(s) of the track by including links to their social media.

Example:
Music Provided by NoCopyrightSounds:
Disfigure – Blank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ZsBPK656s
but do note that they only provide their music for independant creator use, which is the case for you (you're not making money from the video right? xD)... for branding or commercial use (ie. make money through ads), you need to contact them first...