Minecraft vs. Minetest

Post Reply

Which Has More Potential, Minecraft or Minetest

Minecraft
10
28%
Minetest
26
72%
 
Total votes: 36

User avatar
FASTPACEDMAN2000
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 03:33
In-game: HammyCaptain14

Minecraft vs. Minetest

by FASTPACEDMAN2000 » Post

Ok, I know this topic is not new, but I feel it should be covered more in depth. Both Minecraft and Minetest have improved over the years and I think it's time we considered which has more potential to become the ultimate sandbox game.

My opinion,
Minetest started out a little rough, we all know that, but now with all these updates, notably 0.4.16, it's starting to feel like a Minecraft rival. Not only that, but the extensive community, ease of development, and the fact that mods are incredibly easy to install, makes me feel that in the near future, Minetest will be the game that more people are playing, or, if that sounds a bit extreme, a game that will be just as fun and extensive as Minecraft.

Rules for this topic, No Profanity, or advertising.

-Thank You
FASTPACEDMAN2000

When Tempted To Fight With Fire, Remember The Fire Department Usually Uses Water.
Last edited by FASTPACEDMAN2000 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
When tempted to fight with fire, remember the fire department usually uses water.

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: Minecraft vs. Minecraft

by Andrey01 » Post

Sure minetest is better than minecraft. Here are reasons: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10539&start=800 (5th post to down).

User avatar
v-rob
Developer
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 03:19
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Minecraft vs. Minecraft

by v-rob » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:Wait, why does the topic to call as Minecraft vs Minecraft? Really do TWO minecrafts exist?!
I havent' seen a such rational point in this senseless "Mt vs Mc" discussions as this one.
Right? Just choose one and forget about the other. We shouldn't be using other games as standards for this one. If we wanted another Minecraft, then we'd just play Minecraft itself!

You can't compare potential about two games that are different. Minecraft has potential in different ways than Minetest. It's as simple as that. No need to discuss about something that has been answered many times.

I wish that the moderators would lock topics like these. There are way too many of them.
GUI Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass | To contact me, send a PM

User avatar
kingoscargames
Member
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06
GitHub: kingoscargames
In-game: kingoscargames
Location: Netherlands

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by kingoscargames » Post

A reason why "Minecraft" is better is because there are so many players.
Last edited by kingoscargames on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
Location: OMICRON
Contact:

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд wrote:
kingoscargames wrote:One reaso why "Minecraft" is better is because there are so many players.
When you carefully look Minecraft is better in everything.
Oh, what a wrong sentence!

no need to pay: we are free
working on the engine or forking is simple: we are open source
you need some modding: simple as "hello world" and fully supported
about performance: Minetest is blazing fast and super light
you need some help: There is a well- sized community of nice and helpful people
about game creativety: It's infinite, nearly everything is possible trough lua

And there are other examples of it, so don't say MC is better. It's just different. Don't compare a GAME to an ENGINE.

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by Andrey01 » Post

I think Minetest has a few million players totally as i see permanently more and more new people!

User avatar
LazerRay
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 01:32
GitHub: LazerRay

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by LazerRay » Post

My simple reason why Minetest is better:

In Minetest you get to pick and choose what features you want, where Minecraft a crazy developer adds features for you (90% of the time its something you don't like and can't remove, and if you add some you like, it winds up broken on the next update).

User avatar
Cpt_mcg
Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 05:30
GitHub: CptMcg
IRC: mcg
In-game: mcg Captain_FluffCat
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by Cpt_mcg » Post

LazerRay wrote:My simple reason why Minetest is better:

In Minetest you get to pick and choose what features you want, where Minecraft a crazy developer adds features for you (90% of the time its something you don't like and can't remove, and if you add some you like, it winds up broken on the next update).
I agree with that a 100%! I am a former Minecraft player, so I know somewhat about Minecraft. Personally I like Minetest WAY better than Minecraft lol. That is literally the truth though. Minetest also has mods to substitute what'd you'd like to play with (Or just plainly try them out in singleplayer).
xD I'm a weird gamer, I cannot help it :P
BBmine needs help, help him :P
I need to be nicer than nice.
Je connais un peu de français.

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
Location: OMICRON
Contact:

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Cpt_mcg wrote:Personally I like Minetest WAY better than Minecraft
that why i'm here too, I have been extremely disapointed by MC.

ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 15:05
GitHub: DaKurizz
IRC: Prototype
In-game: SuckerForPain

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by ΥουJυςτGοτΟωηεд » Post

This topic is useless, if you post same thing on Minecraft forum, ofc they'll say Minecraft is better ( Just tons of more players heh ), this is like you compare Minecraft with Roblox. xoxoxo

User avatar
Cpt_mcg
Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 05:30
GitHub: CptMcg
IRC: mcg
In-game: mcg Captain_FluffCat
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by Cpt_mcg » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:
Cpt_mcg wrote:Personally I like Minetest WAY better than Minecraft
that why i'm here too, I have been extremely disapointed by MC.
Same here actually, I'm more of a console player for MC, but that's still bad LOL. MC on pc is not my cup of tea.
xD I'm a weird gamer, I cannot help it :P
BBmine needs help, help him :P
I need to be nicer than nice.
Je connais un peu de français.

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by voxelproof » Post

I've voted in favor of Minecraft as having more potential. And there're only two simple reasons for that: number of people involved and the money behind the project.

I'm new at the Forum, so Hi Everybody. I personally prefer Minetest due to the "softer" nature of it, in my opinion much more interesting landscape generation algorithms and the open source code making it easy to modify. And the moretrees and ethereal mods, not to mention advanced trains which would be my childish dream a few decades ago ;)

There's a long thread on the Forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9172 about what's Minetest still missing comparing to MC. I would handle the issue in that way:

MC is a well-defined world, MT, since it's only an engine, is not. It means that MC is "harder" and MT is "softer", or, in MC player is basically forced to comply with some default characteristics of the world he/she enters whereas in MT a newbe enters dead and empty landscape (in terms of NPCs). For me it's an advantage of MT: I really don't like undead and all this stinky (as one could imagine) stuff and don't care much about the survival aspect of the open-world games. What I'm looking for is some relax, wandering with no purpose, exploration and building, and visuals are very important for me as my satisfaction comes from the nice aesthetics, not slaying monsters or other players.

If you want to know what features made MC such a success, I would advise to take a close look at the old PC Gamer Demo of Minecraft. Not only textures are great, they're perfectly balanced (grass - water - sky - sunsets) and there's truly awesome rendering of air occlusion making the depth of the landscape feeling like a real space. Then this game exploits primordial fears which evolution printed in the human nature: fear of the dark, fear of death and the need of shelter. It's amplified by a fast pace of the game: if the day in Minecraft lasted much more then 10 minutes, it would never have skyrocketed like what it is today. PC Gamer Demo is especially good subject of the study because it shows what features were chosen to conquer a vast and most important market, as we know now with the success which led to swallowing Mojang by M$, and, since the sounds are disabled (with a few rare exeptions) it unveils what makes the ambience of its world. And last but not least, it's still faster (on my laptop) than MT (landscape generation; there're lags in movement and in MT there're not).

With no doubt MC has more potential and MT will never be an equal counterpart for it. But it's OK; I think that the gaming world needs a free platform for open world sandboxes. What is dangerous for MT imho is staying permanently in the shadow of it's big precursor: trying to imitate minecraft textures and so on. It would inevitably lead to the opinion that MT is MC for the poor. It's not, and what makes a chance for MT is stopping looking at MC and make the full use of voxel-grid open worlds to create it's truly amazing and enticing universe for the living, not yet another realm of the undead.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
Location: OMICRON
Contact:

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

+1151199449
that a super first-post :D

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by voxelproof » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:+1151199449
that a super first-post :D
1151199449thx :)

But seriously, the basic difference between MC and MT is that in MC game was first and then came modding, and in MT modding is to be first but what's going to be next is still a matter of debate. My guess is it'll be creation of much more rich worlds with hundreds of different trees, plants, ores, building blocks with the emphasis on the beauty of the landscapes . Games will surely follow.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
Location: OMICRON
Contact:

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

I agree.

User avatar
Lord_Vlad
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 07:58

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by Lord_Vlad » Post

Reading through this topic, I think I have a "not so common" view on the matter.

First I knew Minetest before I knew Minecraft or rather, I viewed Minetest (unmodded since I was a total noob) as a taste of Minecraft and it indeed made me like that genre, for free, already a good point in itself. If it were really bad, I'd never have played Minecraft at all, so it is at least that good (and that's years ago, it's much better now).

Then I played Minecraft, never was a builder, so I dug my way through mines, always enjoying new discoveries, like battling monsters and surviving through adverse conditions. Though, normal minecraft gets a bit boring after some time when you just like to have a protected village and have beaten all bosses. So I went into modding.

Basically modding in Minecraft is HELL, a good hell, but still, as if the game itself wasn't buggy enough, 1/4 of the mods don't ever start, 1/8 of them will conflict with another mod, 1/4 of them will need fine tuning to work with any other mod and ALL of them will never work on any other version of the game. Pick the wrong version to dedicate hours of downloading and installing mods, and you'll never be able to enjoy such or such feature, or such or such mod where the dev skipped a version, or went missing.

Still I enjoyed it some time, then got bored when after having lost a hard drive, I didn't at all feel like wasting entire days browsing for mod and testing by adding 2 at most at a time, then launching a game that takes more and more time to load... and crashes more and more.

But I didn't wanted a world where I could craft anything anymore, I wanted a game where I can craft a world to my desire, to the smallest detail. A very god-like experience.

I took a look back at Minetest and basically, I'm here so... you know...

Minetest just has everything that I wanted Minecraft to do. Modding is easy. I can add tens of mods at a time and have the game run. Some years-old mods still work ! (makes great balance with the relative smallness of the community) It's so light all my computers can make it run, with my whole current modpack. Also the spirit of modding is different and much better. For a lot of Minecraft modders, having a good mod under their name is a good way to get some internet fame and ad revenue, no matter how small, it doesn't so much feel like sharing and puting the things you did to use by a broader audience. Also Multiplayer is much easier and multiplayer with mods is possible and not really harder (it's nearly impossible in Minecraft, or at least much much harder).

What Minetest lacks the mods will eventually make up for it, while Minecraft is really a slow moving giant, very laggy and buggy.

(few exemples of things Minetest still lacks, I think : inventory managing is even slower than MC, and the inventory and chest mods are nowhere the level of the MC ones yet, nodes with inventory act wierdly, no good mobs yet (except copies of minecraft ones :( )(come on, even twighlight forest alone has very good mobs and it's just a mod). Some awesome mods really should have a Minetest equivalent (though some really nice ones are also exclusive to Minetest so that's cool).)

User avatar
FASTPACEDMAN2000
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 03:33
In-game: HammyCaptain14

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by FASTPACEDMAN2000 » Post

Lord_Vlad wrote:Reading through this topic, I think I have a "not so common" view on the matter.

First I knew Minetest before I knew Minecraft or rather, I viewed Minetest (unmodded since I was a total noob) as a taste of Minecraft and it indeed made me like that genre, for free, already a good point in itself. If it were really bad, I'd never have played Minecraft at all, so it is at least that good (and that's years ago, it's much better now).

Then I played Minecraft, never was a builder, so I dug my way through mines, always enjoying new discoveries, like battling monsters and surviving through adverse conditions. Though, normal minecraft gets a bit boring after some time when you just like to have a protected village and have beaten all bosses. So I went into modding.

Basically modding in Minecraft is HELL, a good hell, but still, as if the game itself wasn't buggy enough, 1/4 of the mods don't ever start, 1/8 of them will conflict with another mod, 1/4 of them will need fine tuning to work with any other mod and ALL of them will never work on any other version of the game. Pick the wrong version to dedicate hours of downloading and installing mods, and you'll never be able to enjoy such or such feature, or such or such mod where the dev skipped a version, or went missing.

Still I enjoyed it some time, then got bored when after having lost a hard drive, I didn't at all feel like wasting entire days browsing for mod and testing by adding 2 at most at a time, then launching a game that takes more and more time to load... and crashes more and more.

But I didn't wanted a world where I could craft anything anymore, I wanted a game where I can craft a world to my desire, to the smallest detail. A very god-like experience.

I took a look back at Minetest and basically, I'm here so... you know...

Minetest just has everything that I wanted Minecraft to do. Modding is easy. I can add tens of mods at a time and have the game run. Some years-old mods still work ! (makes great balance with the relative smallness of the community) It's so light all my computers can make it run, with my whole current modpack. Also the spirit of modding is different and much better. For a lot of Minecraft modders, having a good mod under their name is a good way to get some internet fame and ad revenue, no matter how small, it doesn't so much feel like sharing and puting the things you did to use by a broader audience. Also Multiplayer is much easier and multiplayer with mods is possible and not really harder (it's nearly impossible in Minecraft, or at least much much harder).

What Minetest lacks the mods will eventually make up for it, while Minecraft is really a slow moving giant, very laggy and buggy.

(few exemples of things Minetest still lacks, I think : inventory managing is even slower than MC, and the inventory and chest mods are nowhere the level of the MC ones yet, nodes with inventory act wierdly, no good mobs yet (except copies of minecraft ones :( )(come on, even twighlight forest alone has very good mobs and it's just a mod). Some awesome mods really should have a Minetest equivalent (though some really nice ones are also exclusive to Minetest so that's cool).)
Yes I agree with you totally, its the expandability, flexibility, and make whatever you want style of gameplay that Minecraft is missing. Mojang wants to controll minecraft all down to the little details, and while modding has gotten slightly better, it still is not as expansive as Minetest, which is why I feel Minetest has more potential. If that makes any sense.

When Tempted To Fight With Fire Remember The Fire Department Usually Uses Water.
When tempted to fight with fire, remember the fire department usually uses water.

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: Minecraft vs. Minetest

by voxelproof » Post

What drives me away from Minecraft are all those YT short movies. OMG it looks like most of them were made by some peculiar type of personality. And Mc creations with blocky roofs. Ugh, it really makes me voxel-sick. With one notable exception - the Westeroscraft sever.

Imo the cube-based grid is only an underlying skeleton enabling further expansion of designed worlds, far beyond the constraints of sometimes annoying cube pattern.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], eugenefil, Mantar and 4 guests