how do you completely remove minetest

berrybloxinator

how do you completely remove minetest

by berrybloxinator » Post

I can't find minetest in programs and features and I need to completely remove it.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

Re: how do you completely remove minetest

by dawgdoc » Post

berrybloxinator wrote:I can't find minetest in programs and features and I need to completely remove it.
What operating system are you using and how did you install Minetest?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Removing Minetest is like removing us as a friend. It feels hurtful. ;-(
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Ish
GitHub: I3h
IRC: I3h or Ish2
In-game: Ish or Ish2

by Ish » Post

berrybloxinator wrote:I can't find minetest in programs and features and I need to completely remove it.
It really depends on what operating system you're using.
On OS X, delete minetest.app (and if you have anymore copies(like minetest 2.app) do the same), then delete the directory, default should be ~/Library/Application Support/minetest

On Linux, I (think) you deinstall the app, then delete the directory if it's still there (.minetest)

Hope this was helpful,
I advise you not to because this is probably going to be the best game you know of at the moment, but you decide :)
> not much to say here.
> my (very vip) website: i3h

Exhale
In-game: Exhale

by Exhale » Post

This information for linux is vital for some people. I messed up my shadow settings and it was simply lagging my minetest, so I uninstalled and reinstalled a bunch of times and got very angry because not only did it keep my settings and games and everything but I personally hate it when software doesnt uninstall itself completely when you tell it to do so. Why does it leave that directory on linux when you uninstall? Is there some valid reason? Because it was very frustrating for me personally there and I started swearing. Not only does it leave a directory, but it is a hidden directory - surely there is a better way to do this?

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

It's default behaviour with most package managers that user data of packages get left behind when removing, usually they will never touch your home folder (for good reason IMO). If you enabled shadows and it made the game lag, you probably should disable it instead of going for the nuclear approach.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Exhale wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 15:57
This information for linux
Delete .minetest in your home directory, that should do the job.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Exhale
In-game: Exhale

by Exhale » Post

"If you enabled shadows and it made the game lag" It isnt that simple, I was messing with the advanced settings and borked something somewhere trying to get more pretty out of my few years old laptop, not being technically minded I hadnt taken note of exactly every change I made, and reverting to the defaults didnt fix the problem.
"Delete .minetest in your home directory, that should do the job."
Yes, thank you, I fortunately picked that up from the post before my last one and now that I have had a full reinstall I am a lot more calm.
"It's default behaviour with most package managers that user data of packages get left behind when removing, usually they will never touch your home folder (for good reason IMO)" On windows it is something that is often optional with a simple check box.

[edit] after I found some crap epic left behind, there is no such thing as a good games launcher - even epic leaves residual shit behind when you tell it to take everything off!