On philosophy of voxel games

voxelproof

Re: On philosophy of voxel games

by voxelproof » Post

Sokomine wrote:
voxelproof wrote: ... or which do you prefer: square or round in-game Sun and Moon?
To me, sun and moon are just decorative elements in the background. The sun is to stay high up in the sky and only rarely allowed to set. Darkness makes both building and sightseeing harder and is seldom wanted. The moon has some time ago turned into Saturn.
I must admit I have more reverence for these celestial bodies. I noticed that it matters, probably it is perceived subconciously. I think that how sky looks like makes a significant part of general ambience of the game.
To me, both may be true at diffrent times and in diffrent situations. When detailled models, arches, stairs, fences and the like are used, the blocky background serves just as a way to fascilitate creating what I have in mind. The voxel world acts as a simple 3d editor. That is one way of seeing it - and for a given building/project it may be all there is. Yet the beauty of the simplicity of the voxels cannot be discarded. True beauty and art can often be found in structures using only voxels and nothing else. Say..it's easier to build something acceptable-looking if you have decorative doors, windows, high-poly models and plenty of blocks to choose from. It's more demanding to use just a small set of full blocks to achieve a good result, where blocks need to be used to just hint at something without beeing able to really show all the details like in a photography. So, in the end, both are diffrent ways to use voxel-like games to create something. Diffrent styles/methods of drawing. Just because they may achieve diffrent outcomes doesn't mean that one is obsolete or superior to the other.
I agree with every sentence in this part. I'd add that the second way you've written about is imo analogous to pixel art - maybe 'voxel art' would be a good term for it.
Last edited by voxelproof on Sun Nov 26, 2017 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

voxelproof wrote: I agree with every sentence in this part. I'd add that the second way you've written about is imo analogous to pixel art - maybe 'voxel art' would be a good term for it.
That sounds like a good idea. There is pixelart that is 3d, but it's diffrent from 'voxel art' where a block usually represents more than one pixel but not necessarily itself either.
A list of my mods can be found here.

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

An unphilosophical answer to your philosophical quandary:

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

AccidentallyRhine wrote:An unphilosophical answer to your philosophical quandary:
Yeah... This is a good example of what may happen when one handles voxels carelessly ;)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson