Changing where the world is saved and LAN Set up info

ad_roo_cs_teacher
In-game: ad_roo_cs_teacher

Changing where the world is saved and LAN Set up info

by ad_roo_cs_teacher » Post

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anybody can help me with this.

I am a school teacher and I am wondering how to change the path in which the students worlds are saved in. At the moment the default setting is the students worlds are saving locally on the C:/, how can I change this so each student account automatically saves it into their H:/ (Home).

Also, is there any guides out there that will help me set up a LAN that does not involve any messing around with unblocking firewalls etc... I would love to build one world for each class to access but how easy is this?

Cheers

Adam

zing269

Re: Changing where the world is saved and LAN Set up info

by zing269 » Post

I don't believe you can change the world save path. At compile time you can choose to "run in place" which will set the world path relative to the minetest directory otherwise it will be relative to your OS home directory.

To get around firewall issues you can set the port used in the config files to use a normally open port like 80 or 443. For the client it would be something like remote_port = 80, and for the server it would be port = 80.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Currently you can't change the world saving directory in a regular Windows build, which is complied with RUN_IN_PLACE.
Run "minetest --version" in command line to see whether that value is set or not. In case it's set to 0, you would have to change the environment variable "APPDATA" to H:\, which causes unwanted side-effects for other applications.

However, there's still the possibility to replace the "worlds" directory with a symlink (seems possible in NTFS, I hope this helps), so all new worlds will get redirected to the personal drive. An admin (= teacher) "worlds" path can still be added by setting the environment variable "MINETEST_WORLD_PATH" to the desired value.

EDIT: Same question: symlinks and this PR were able to solve it.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

I can't vouch for the use of symlinks on a Windows computer but it definitely works on Linux computers. I use symlinks for to put the actual location of directories for subgames and mods on a different partition than would occur with a default install.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.