OldCoder wants to trademark “Minetest”

teenspirit
In-game: darianbrown

Re: “Minetest” may become a trademark, owned by OldCoder

by teenspirit » Post

He almost certainly can't get a TM on Minetest. I think we are giving him too much credit. He likely doesnt have the resources and hasn't looked at the bill for getting a TM, even if he files it himself, he is looking at around 2000$ to file in his four countries, and that is if he doesn't mess anything up. If you file in the US, and you make mistakes and don't make a proper submission, even for reasons such as "vague terms used in the services that you provide", it's an extra 125$ penalty fee. And filing through a law firm is where you will end up getting into the real money.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:So ... in every assholery there lies something good. :D
Well... You can say that. And it helps my project so :D
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

toby109tt wrote:I'm talking to oldcoder via email at the moment
He is willing to talk to me,
He's anoyed by the other people becouse they bombard him with insults he says
And that they usually don't answer back,

I'm waiting for a response from him so we will see what he says
I have posted my response like 10 minutes ago from me posting this comment

So it may take a bit to get a response from him :)
I think this is a mistake. But it is your own choice to do so.
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: I think this is a mistake.
Well, he doesn't look cheerful.

Vapalus

I received a PM and got curious

by Vapalus » Post

Somebody seems to have sent a mass PM to people? About Minetest "CP"?
I am unable to cope with text of these sizes, can somebody tell me what it was about?
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

I've received a very disturbing message from frankenmine including, as I understand, some serious accusations and legal threats against some members of the community and developers, and announcing that now the official site for the project is his website. Have others received it too? I think it has sth to do with the subject of this thread.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

voxelproof wrote:I've received a very disturbing message from frankenmine including, as I understand, some serious accusations and legal threats against some members of the community and developers, and announcing that now the official site for the project is his website. Have others received it too? I think it has sth to do with the subject of this thread.
Yes, toby's emails has prompted him to start this again
voxelproof wrote:I've received a very disturbing message from frankenmine including, as I understand, some serious accusations and legal threats against some members of the community and developers, and announcing that now the official site for the project is his website. Have others received it too? I think it has sth to do with the subject of this thread.
This is what I was talking about when saying that filing for trademarks is one of the least bad things he's done
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

u19503

by u19503 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Yes, toby's stupid emails has started this again
I'm sorry but maybe next time if someone asks for information Just give it to them
So they don't have to find it themselves (that's what I did)
I dident whant to start a war

Also I didn't really start this but the whole trademark ting did so it's not my fault that it started but I'm now part of it

the most important part is that We Don't let him win he wants us to get mad at each other and throw insults (and point fingers) at each other so we destroy the community, we can't let that happen!

Please don't be mad at me for this :/
All I wanted was information

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Yeah got it too, it was weird. That not the first time I get this message actually. But it was from another user though. Do you think it's OldCoder under disguise? (just wondering)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

voxelproof wrote:Have others received it too?
Yep. But I skipped reading after a few sentences and reported the message.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

That the good thing to do.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Do you think it's OldCoder under disguise?
I think so yes I cannot confirm It tho

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Guys, I think we've got a problem.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

If so many people got this pm how is it Possible
Shouldn't there be a mechanism to prevent this mas PMing?
Doesent that count as spam?

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Why don't we just make peace with oldcoder why do we have to fight?

We have all done stupid things ones in our life but we have to forgive and end this war

We have to stop fighting and just move on

we should forgive him and stop all this idiotic fighting
Are we little kids in a sandbox throwing sand In each others face or are we adults who try to make the world a better place!

I'm not picking any sides here I'm just trying to keep the balance :)

Bdw Im sure oc is monitoring this topic

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

I hope diplomacy will work.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

In the United States, filing a trademark application requires proof of commercial use. Yet he has a ".org" domain name, and doesn't seem to be offering any product or service under the MINETEST brand. If the other countries he's attempting to register "his trademark" have IP laws at all similar to the U.S., then he's fighting an uphill battle to prove that he retains exclusive rights to the MINETEST brand in any particular class that conflicts with that of http://www.minetest.net.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Naj wrote:This may be the final point of the debate about if Minetest should change its name or not.
So ... in every assholery there lies something good. :D
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, and it's finally time to consider rebranding. With 0.5.0 rolling out soon, maybe we should bite the bullet and make the change once and for all.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sorcerykid wrote:With 0.5.0 rolling out soon, maybe we should bite the bullet and make the change once and for all.
Even if “Minetest” was never meant to be the actual name: Without external force the name won’t be changed. Not with 0.5.0 not with 1.0.0 not with 2.0.0. Probably never.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:With 0.5.0 rolling out soon, maybe we should bite the bullet and make the change once and for all.
Even if “Minetest” was never meant to be the actual name: Without external force the name won’t be changed. Not with 0.5.0 not with 1.0.0 not with 2.0.0. Probably never.
That’s sad. I REEEAAAALLLLYYY want a new name, minetest is just terrible. I made a sub game and called it BuildCraft and even that name sounds better. Please, I’m begging to you on my knees please change the name
Testin' mines since 1989

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

That's only partially true. Since the project is open source, then technically anybody can fork it from GitHub, and call it whatever they want as long as it complies with the license terms. My fork of the engine is called "S3", for example.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Yes, toby's emails has prompted him to start this again
Wow.

I do not believe this was a nice thing to say, at least Toby has the 'balls' to simply talk to OC. Geesh, what is this forum, a bad re-run of One Life to Live? Or is it General Hospital?

I feel the people enraged with OC need to try to hash it out, there are always three sides to any story.

Anyways, keep on coding on.

-mm

Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Aeonian
In-game: Aeonian

by Aeonian » Post

I almost feel like Minetest should evolve past the idea that is just an open source clone of Minecraft. Maybe its time for a new name, we could completely avoid getting into a mess with this guy that way.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Wow.

I do not believe this was a nice thing to say, at least Toby has the 'balls' to simply talk to OC. Geesh, what is this forum, a bad re-run of One Life to Live? Or is it General Hospital?
I Know It's Not entirely My Fault but have Something to do it
It's sad I shouldn't have done it

I wasn't able to sleep yesterday couldn't stop thinking about it what I have put in motion :/

I don't know anymore I'm just hoping that everything will become alright

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

Aeonian wrote:I almost feel like Minetest should evolve past the idea that is just an open source clone of Minecraft. Maybe its time for a new name, we could completely avoid getting into a mess with this guy that way.
I agree
Testin' mines since 1989

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Post

To those of you who seem to think that the people involved should just fix things: you are being extremely naive and/or are likely making a few assumptions along the way.

Don't you think people involved asked what he wanted? Don't you think people tried to find a way to fix things long ago? Or do you honestly believe so many of those involved with Minetest just said "nope, not willing to talk"?

OldCoder decided Minetest belongs to him, despite not being a developer and despite the work of many other people who have contributed. If he wanted to fix all of this he would not be spreading claims designed purely to damage the reputations of people who work hard to develop Minetest.

Toby and maikerumine: I invite you both to tell me how you expect the team to fix this. OldCoder wants to own the game and is not looking to make amends. Should the team just pass him ownership of the repository and say they'll work for him? I'd also like to hear why you think the victims should be the ones to fix matters.

As for seeing this as a blessing and switching the name - two problems:
1 - it's about the player base. Lose the name and lose players (in all likelihood to whatever he sets up). If you don't understand how this works, do some more thinking.
2 - OldCoder could then just apply for the trademark on whatever new name is taken instead, and that name would have less established history than Minetest, so might well be even less easy to defend.

A note: I considered OldCoder a friend of sorts prior to everything that happened, and I wish this could all be undone, but I can't see a way. I feel there may have been better approaches to handling certain things, but that's always easy in hindsight, isn't it? In the end, I can't speak for the team, or for anyone other than myself, but I don't believe anyone wants the situation to carry on, and if there was a reasonable way to end it, I am quite sure that would be taken.