OldCoder wants to trademark “Minetest”

Vapalus

Re: OldCoder threatens to trademark "Minetest"

by Vapalus » Post

Is your email set to "public"? Or do you allow forum users to send emails to you?
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Vapalus wrote:Is your email set to "public"? Or do you allow forum users to send emails to you?
i had it set to allow
but changed it directly afterwards
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

also vapalus your name was in the pm
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

I guess he hates me. But I can live with that. He is creepy.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Ok so I just did some law research, and in my country of residence the things he did are illegal. he threatened me with discipline by a non-government organization for my country, for things I did not do. I could take him to court for this, if we were in the same country.
But then again, if we were I would only have half the legal footing.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

He is cyberbullying, threatening and stalking people, the things he does are definitely not legal.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

ExeterDad wrote:His PM's appear to be individual. He just needs to record the message ID with the username he is sending it to. Notice all the URL's to our posts and PM's end with a p=XXXXXXXX. Then when you clickthrough his links...
Then his webserver (logs or script) just needs to check the referring URL and see if that recorded "p" number matches up with usernames. If so, then he is able to link your name to the IP that he has access to from his server. Then he can do a geoip on that and most often get the location of your town. It's not much, but he holds tidbits of personal data on people dear to his heart :/
If the link is in this form, which it should be:

Code: Select all

https://forum.minetest.net/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=9999
Clicking it will only send information to forum.minetest.net. This tells the server to look for a private message, in view mode, and the number of the PM. No one gets any information from that unless the minetest.net server gives it to them. It doesn't go through his server at all.

Now, someone could send you a similar message from (or impersonating, see spoofing) another server with a link like this:

https://forum.mybsserver.net/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=9999
Note that this would have nothing to do with the minetest.net domain, it would have to be sent as a regular email.

They could then intercept the link and redirect you to the real site. That's why you NEVER click links unless you know what you're doing. Your bank sends you a message -- DON'T click the link -- go to their site and check there. Although, it's usually easy to spot a fake link if you pay attention.

None of OldCoders messages to me have attempted this simple dodge.

He could also place a specialized link in an email or PM. It would look like this:

http://mybsserver.net/prog.suf?id=9999
That would tell him which email message the link was in. Again, none of the messages I was sent had any identifying information in the links. They were just regular links to his site. (And again, don't blindly click the link. If you do, you are to blame.)

Of course, any time you visit his site, he gets the ip address you're coming from, but very little else. It does him no good in connecting your url to a user name on minetest.net or your real identity. Getting your ip from a page load is fairly useless, unless say, the visitor has his own public network with a domain registered under his address (whois http://duanerobertson.com/). If that's the case, he ought to expect a certain amount of publicity.

Don't be impressed by OldCoder. If he's a genuine hacker, he's hiding it really well. Do practice basic email security -- check the links. Who knows, he might read this and learn something.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

Doesn't change the fact that he is creeping me out, even though I know he cannot do much.

YellowStar

by YellowStar » Post

duane wrote:Don't be impressed by OldCoder. If he's a genuine hacker, he's hiding it really well.
For someone who calls people silly you-know-whats for having their first name accessible on the internet, he sure does a crap job at hiding his personal information.

Not sure if my post was eaten or what happened before, please PM me if for some reason I'm not allowed to post here...

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Wow I just googled robert kiraly and found some deep, dark, sick stuff.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

I don't know if that is him, but if he keeps bothering me, I'll inform the police.
The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

PolySaken wrote:... and found some deep, dark, sick stuff.
I just found random nonsense.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

I have already found metric tons of personal info, but I am not going to share here because I don't think I am allowed to.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

He seems to be targeting the kids On this forum, hoping to get them to click the links. Having your IP allows him to target you for more malicious behavior. Emails can contain other possible hacks, if you enable HTML mail. Set all your email to text only.

DO NOT CLICK LINKS.

Don't view PMs thru email. Log in to the forums to view any PMs.

Maybe new users to forums should not be able to PM. And even regular posting should be limited for now.

Folks, check the date the user signed up. If they signed up as new user today, consider that user fake.

If you are an under 18 user of this forum, and you are PM'ed by this person, regardless of your country of origin, please report him to the forum moderators and to your local police. His messages to underage users of this forum fall under US law, and he can certainly be arrested.
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Mon Dec 11, 2017 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: Maybe new users to forums should not be able to PM. And even regular posting should be limited for now.
We've increased the minimum number of posts a user needs before they can send PMs.

If you receive such a PM please report it using the exclamation mark, and don't reply
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

@ruben, do you know how long it took me to find this thread?
I am sure new members don't stand a chance.
There should be a solution for new members to get informed.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Add a big panel about spawn in the inbox folder of new members until they post idk, at least 50 posts? It would be useful too have little popping info texts at the begening of the forum use?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

50 posts is quite a lot. There may be valid reasons for a new forum user to ask questions in private.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Scarecrowman
In-game: Scarecrowman

by Scarecrowman » Post

What I want to know is that can he really Trademark minetest when there's already so much establishment in the name? Also, could he be using this claim as a way to threaten the community? Apparently he's made claims before that are likely false to some extent.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night..."
-EDGAR ALLAN POE

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

legally speaking he could probably obtain a trademark of the name "Minetest", but that means nothing since the code is open-source.
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Just posting here so I'll see when there is a new post. Very interesting topic
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Just posting here so I'll see when there is a new post. Very interesting topic
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:He seems to be targeting the kids On this forum, hoping to get them to click the links. Having your IP allows him to target you for more malicious behavior. Emails can contain other possible hacks, if you enable HTML mail. Set all your email to text only.

DO NOT CLICK LINKS.

Don't view PMs thru email. Log in to the forums to view any PMs.

Maybe new users to forums should not be able to PM. And even regular posting should be limited for now.

Folks, check the date the user signed up. If they signed up as new user today, consider that user fake.

If you are an under 18 user of this forum, and you are PM'ed by this person, regardless of your country of origin, please report him to the forum moderators and to your local police. His messages to underage users of this forum fall under US law, and he can certainly be arrested.
He messaged me on an account created within the hour, so I knew it was him. I trolled him good though XD
Testin' mines since 1989

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Joseph13 wrote:He messaged me on an account created within the hour, so I knew it was him. I trolled him good though XD
I do hope you know that one can tell he doens't react to trolling the same as anybody else just by looking at the kind of things he says. It does not effect him, and only worsens the situation if anything.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

In quantum mechanics, merely observing a particle which exists in multiple positions at the same time (superposition) causes a fix, or a stasis in the particle. It exists only as observed, else it exists elsewhere.

The cat is both dead and alive, one must observe to make either case true.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959