Minetest mobile: layman convention of Q&A

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

Minetest mobile: layman convention of Q&A

by zargulthewizard » Post

So, currently (0.4.16 I think) minetest mobile (any apple developers?) Is a little compressed in terms of features. For one thing, it cannot host a server. This thread is meant to be a place to Q&A about how to get the most out of minetest mobile, specifically in working with its limited features.

First off, most of the problems I have experienced involve squashed or off screen GUI elements and limited RAM on my phone. Not really much one can do about the ram.

The biggest GUI annoyance is the non-scaled-ness of the mods section, making it impossible to enable mods on a phone (tablets can). The workaround I have used is simply to place the desired mod in the minetest game mods folder, so it is loaded as a part of the minetest game.

So, ask questions, provide tips.
Last edited by zargulthewizard on Thu Jan 18, 2018 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
May God be with you, always.

zargulthewizard

Re: Minetest mobile: general peasant discussion

I actually just remembered something. There seems to be a bug where, when one is connected to a server, opening the keyboard in chat is delayed, and then it sporadically dissappars. Is there a way to deal with this?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well I think one of the biggest missing features is the lack of the “Use” key (also known as “Aux1” for some reason).
This key is needed by some mods, especially sprinting.
In other words, Android users can't sprint.

I also heard that the player physics is weirdly different in Android. Is this true? If yes, this would be very stupid. I've never seen a game in which the online (!) gameplay depends on the hardware you use.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I also heard that the player physics is weirdly different in Android. Is this true? If yes, this would be very stupid. I've never seen a game in which the online (!) gameplay depends on the hardware you use.
I tried on my phone a few times. On Android, you simply walk up hills, as if there are stairs. On PC you need to jump up hills.
Maybe this can be set for PC as well, IDK but, I actually like being able to walk up hills rather than wear the crap out of my spacebar.
I consider this was done to make it easier to traverse the terrain on Android? But it seems to be one feature which Android build has over the PC build
A Wonderful World

zargulthewizard

TumeniNodes wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:I also heard that the player physics is weirdly different in Android. Is this true? If yes, this would be very stupid. I've never seen a game in which the online (!) gameplay depends on the hardware you use.
I tried on my phone a few times. On Android, you simply walk up hills, as if there are stairs. On PC you need to jump up hills.
Maybe this can be set for PC as well, IDK but, I actually like being able to walk up hills rather than wear the crap out of my spacebar.
I consider this was done to make it easier to traverse the terrain on Android? But it seems to be one feature which Android build has over the PC build
This is a setting called "auto jump" I think. I'm not sure.
One nice thing is that you can open chests on the other side of rivers.

Wuzzy: I don't think the use key has ever done anything for me except charge UFOs. How do I sprint? That reminds me. In mobile, fast move works on the ground. Kind of cool when fanning Sonic, but dangerous as you can shoot off a cliff.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

zargulthewizard wrote: The biggest GUI annoyance is the non-scaled-ness of the mods section, making it impossible to enable mods on a phone (tablets can). The workaround I have used is simply to place the desired mod in the minetest game mods folder, so it is loaded as a part of the minetest game.
Back when I was testing the first MT versions for Android, there was a factor in minetest.conf that could be used to scale the GUI elements in general. It might have been gui_scaling = 1.0 (not entirely sure now).
Wuzzy wrote: In other words, Android users can't sprint.
There was a picture of a running character that allowed fast run at least in some older versions.
TumeniNodes wrote: On Android, you simply walk up hills, as if there are stairs. On PC you need to jump up hills.
There was a setting for it. I don't remember its name. I had thought similar to what you wrote here - enabling it in general in my .conf so that the space bar gets used less. It didn't prove to be as useful as intended. I remember ending up in places I didn't want to be (i.e. falling down somewhere) in combination with the much more useful autorun.
A list of my mods can be found here.

zargulthewizard

Current Minetest mobile has fast mode, and it's a running icon. Maybe it working on the ground was intentional.

Will check the configuration file. Thanks.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

fast mode also works on the ground for the pc version.
but you have to hold the "use key" (E) to do so.
maybe the mobile version has auto-sprint, just like auto-jump.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

zargulthewizard

I will check that. Thanks for the tip. By the way, I kind of miss your look before you got updated.

zargulthewizard

Anyone else wondering if Minetest could be on iOS?

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Sokomine wrote:
There was a picture of a running character that allowed fast run at least in some older versions.
No. That's fast mode, and its fast mode icon. What Wuzzy is talking about, is that Android minetest simply doesn't have any way to use AUX1, so any mod that checks for a player holding down this key, for whatever reason, won't work for Android users.

Fast mode is something else entirely, and has nothing to do with sprinting and stamina and AUX1. I've seen this being confused a lot.

Ps. I really don't like the title of this topic.

Rutan

by Rutan » Post

fireefox wrote:No. That's fast mode, and its fast mode icon. What Wuzzy is talking about, is that Android minetest simply doesn't have any way to use AUX1, so any mod that checks for a player holding down this key, for whatever reason, won't work for Android users.

Fast mode is something else entirely, and has nothing to do with sprinting and stamina and AUX1. I've seen this being confused a lot.

I don't see an auto sprint option anywhere on the mobile version. Am I missing something? That would be awesome to have.
Last edited by Rutan on Thu Nov 04, 2021 20:55, edited 3 times in total.

ThomasMonroe
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared

by ThomasMonroe » Post

it depends on wether or not you are actually using Minetest and not some crazy fork of it.
I don't make messes, I just, er...disturb the local entropy!

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

You will automatically go fast in fastmode if you are also in fly mode, AFAIK.

Official Android Minetest just doesn't have any AUX1 input/button/mechanism. It has sneak, it has jump, but does not have AUX1.

zargulthewizard

jas wrote:
Sokomine wrote:
No. That's fast mode, and its fast mode icon. What Wuzzy is talking about, is that Android minetest simply doesn't have any way to use AUX1, so any mod that checks for a player holding down this key, for whatever reason, won't work for Android users.

I am open to title suggestions. This whole post just seemed angry. Thank you for the clarification, in any case.

The title is indicating that this is no a bug report read, or a developers discussion. It's more of a mother's convention type thing where average users (developer influence not meant as to be disappreciated) can discuss issues and how to work around them.

For further stuff about the title, please pm me.

PS: I momentarily considered creating a thread to discuss the title thing out of habit. :)

zargulthewizard

jas wrote:You will automatically go fast in fastmode if you are also in fly mode, AFAIK.

Official Android Minetest just doesn't have any AUX1 input/button/mechanism. It has sneak, it has jump, but does not have AUX1.
I understand this, I think. But why does fast mode work on the ground? Is this not a mistake?

BTW, what does AFAIK star for? I assume it is not pronounced "a fake."

PS: I changed the title. I agree it was kind of cheesy. I think the new one should be less confusing.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

zargulthewizard wrote: BTW, what does AFAIK star for? I assume it is not pronounced "a fake."
As Far As I Know
Last edited by dawgdoc on Sat Jan 20, 2018 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

zargulthewizard

Re: Minetest mobile: layman convention of Q&A

As far as you know what? What does it stand for?
Also, what does IDK stand for?

irhwhhthwbjfiugbejoajnrhvijd Seriously, thank you. Mfuwijhvhjskmsnwjjfnhhvjds

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:As far as you know what? What does it stand for?
Also, what does IDK stand for?

irhwhhthwbjfiugbejoajnrhvijd Seriously, thank you. Mfuwijhvhjskmsnwjjfnhhvjds
This now seems like an Abbott and Costello routine. :-D

Who's On First?

But just in case you weren't I edited my last post to highlight the acronym, don't you know.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

zargulthewizard

To get back to minetest mobile, is there any way to control the mapgen it uses?

zing269

by zing269 » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:To get back to minetest mobile, is there any way to control the mapgen it uses?
There is, but it isn't obvious. You need to go to the settings tab, Advanced Settings, expand Server / Singleplayer, expand Mapgen, and change Mapgen name. If you have already started the world you will also need to click the Reset singleplayer world button or it won't have any effect.

zargulthewizard

Praise God and Thankyou for telling me/us!

zargulthewizard

Okay, something is wrong here. My tablet cannot run mineclone 2, but it can run Minecraft, which has the same amount of media by definition. Something besides graphics is causing the crash.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

ive noticed that players on mobile have longer reach.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

zargulthewizard

Stix wrote:ive noticed that players on mobile have longer reach.
"longer" is an understatement. The reach range on mobile is infinite, limited only by how much of the world is actually loaded.