minetestserver running server in background

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

minetestserver running server in background

by BBmine » Post

So I installed minetestserver package on my NAS a while back. I tried to create a server today using port 30000. The command prompt said "port already in use?" I logged into port 30000, and it was some world whose uptime was some huge number (I don't remember exactly what it was). Is this a default server running as a service? How would I delete that world and make mine run as a service?

IDK if this is the right place to ask this. Feel free to move it if it's not. :)

deezl
GitHub: deezl
IRC: deezl
In-game: deezl

Re: minetestserver running server in background

by deezl » Post

BBmine,
It seems nobody addressed this. Assuming your NAS box is some variety of Linux, I would try running

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep minetest
then kill the pid with the kill command. Evidently you once ran the server and forked it to the background.

Personally, I like to run my servers in tmux sessions, as I usually have more than one instance of the server running at a time. This allows me to view the debug content in real time, and be able to detach the session and continue using the terminal. This can also be useful if you'd like another user on the system to be able to stop/start/view the server by adding a group permission to the tmux session. This is not secure, so only if you trust trust the other user, since if the other user stops the server running, they now have access to your shell. If you are interested, reply here, and I could attempt a short tutorial on how I use it, in conjunction with a "keep-alive" script.

Also, if you are interested in some nice scripts for automating certain server management aspects, check out VanessaE's website, http://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/minetest.html, under "Server-scripts/". Of course you would have to edit them to suit your needs.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: minetestserver running server in background

by BBmine » Post

deezl: Thanks!!