Thinking of resurrecting my old PvP server - questions

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

Thinking of resurrecting my old PvP server - questions

by redblade7 » Post

Hi,

I don't know if anyone remembers my short-lived PvP server, The Shootout. Basically it was intended as a server where one would start in a tiny spawn castle (similar to the spawn building in The Valleys, but smaller and with no roof), and would leave into a flat map, building defenses with cobblestone, wood, or whatever and hiding behind them, while shooting at each other. Hostile monster mobs would come out at night, and one could kill animals or get apples to restore health. I don't remember how people got cheap weapons. However, I ran into some problems which convinced me to shut it down. I was hoping someone could give me some advice before setting it up again, because I really liked the idea, and people on my other servers are asking for this as well.
  • Camping in the spawn building. People were spawn camping with BFG-9000s, making it hard to escape or flee. Perhaps there could be a safe area, or a timer.
  • Players not reading the rules. This was most likely due to the spawn camping issue. This can be dealt with by a popup rather than on the wall of the spawn castle, but that doesn't guarantee someone might click without reading or forget the rules later on.
  • Using locked items as fortification. People were building structures out of locked chests and steel doors which provided permanent protection. Is there a way to remove "lockability" from all items?
  • I seem to remember the mod which provided all the weapons crashing. Not sure of the mod's name (it had lots of guns, ninja weapons, spears, etc) or if it has since fixed crashing, but I remember it being released once or twice on the forum and not having a Github page. I seem to remember occasional server crashes from it, though I might be wrong.
Does anyone else have any suggestions for me? Because I really would like to bring this back.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

MineYoshi

Re: Thinking of resurrecting my old PvP server - questions

by MineYoshi » Post

redblade7 wrote: [*]Camping in the spawn building. People were spawn camping with BFG-9000s, making it hard to escape or flee. Perhaps there could be a safe area, or a timer.
Try to make it an area without possibility of going back when you get out. Maybe something floating in the sky with a river under to safely land.
[*]Players not reading the rules. This was most likely due to the spawn camping issue. This can be dealt with by a popup rather than on the wall of the spawn castle, but that doesn't guarantee someone might click without reading or forget the rules later on.
Try with a mod that asks questions about the rules, that you can easily modify. It's a formspec that if you don't answer correctly, kicks you and tells you to read the rules.
[*]Using locked items as fortification. People were building structures out of locked chests and steel doors which provided permanent protection. Is there a way to remove "lockability" from all items?
Try to remove locked chests and steel doors. Maybe you can ask a modder to help you out to make a locked chest destroyable without dropping the items if you wish.
[*]I seem to remember the mod which provided all the weapons crashing. Not sure of the mod's name (it had lots of guns, ninja weapons, spears, etc) or if it has since fixed crashing, but I remember it being released once or twice on the forum and not having a Github page. I seem to remember occasional server crashes from it, though I might be wrong.
Try using it again or asking the maintainer to fix it>
Does anyone else have any suggestions for me? Because I really would like to bring this back.
Try making it entertaining and have fun.
Have a nice day! :D