Post your Minetest story

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

Post your Minetest story

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

I would be interested to know how you came to Minetest and why you play Minetest. With which Minetest version you started and how long you play. With me it's the 0.4.9 and I play Minetest already 4 years. I play it because I don't want to buy a minecraft because it's too expensive for me. In Minetest there are things that Minecraft does not exist.
Last edited by Phoenixflo44 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
I hate my life

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: Your Minetest story

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

My trip to heaven began a long time ago, in 2013 to be precise when I was searching for some free minecraft clones. A person of my family came with Minetest (version might be 0.4.9-10), telling me wonders about it's community, it's 'open-source-ness' and it's modding power. I did start my first world in creative, it was called something like My dream house or something... for a year I built wonderful creations (floating houses, huge wave-like glass/water structures with boats on it, colonies in caves and a lot of funny pixel art and various buildings). one day I flew around so far that I got lost (i didn't know of respawn, coordinates and F3) so I was very sad and I started a new life.
With mesecons, the first mod I ever installed and that I used for years now, I made houses full of traps with pressure plates, lava and pistons. And once, while i tested one trap, I died and got back to my first house. After all this mess I lost my world while updating. I think I cried this day.

I stopped playing for a long period because I bought MC. And for some wierd reason, I got back to MT randomly since 4 years, more or less.
Minetest made me who I am, it's community, it's possibilities... I would be far less happy if minetest didn't existed.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

This story is a little sad. My first world True one in survival mode in a huge cave from which there was no exit. I had cheated on my horse and had crafted a pickaxe. Sometime I had found a huge room with all the ores I started at Abbzubauen. When my inventory was full I wanted to get back but I have not found the entrance through which I have come. I, of course, also sad. I deleted them. My second world true my first city in which I built a building in the height with all the blocks that were there at that time. I joined a second singeplayer at the same time and I dismantled something. Then it briefly gelägt and half the city was replaced again by the blocks at the beginning. I heard a song when I went through the broken city. In the meantime, I cried pretty much. Since the tears come to me when I hear the song.
Spoiler
I hate my life

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

@Phoenixflo44 "war" (german, past of "sein") is written without a "h" inside - it messes up the context if it's translated wrongly. ;)

Oh well, to contribute my two cents to this topic: I looked for a Minecraft alternative that 1) doesn't cost and 2) works acceptably on my lame machine. So I found Minetest and went server-hopping on the same day in middle 2013 (~August?). After I found a nice one, I built a house on the water, discovered there's an ingame chat, what protections are and finally how to build up a nice economy to survive.
But how do I build nice looking houses? Well, that idea came very late but my building style has luckily improved a lot over these years. Most important: Use at least two different materials/colors to build your house.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I started Minetest somewhere around 2012 in version 0.2.something. A member of my family had discovered it and showed us an impressive world, with a large castle built in survival. I played on a singleplayer world that I shared with some family members. I played in survival because I thought creative mode was cheating, but I cheated for a few blocks of mese anyway :). We built many things in that world. It was my second favorite world I've ever played in, and I was quite sad when it was lost when we upgraded to 0.3. A little while after the release of 0.4.14, I learned how to mod, and I've been doing that ever since.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:My trip to heaven began a long time ago, in 2013 to be precise when I was searching for some free minecraft clones. A person of my family came with Minetest (version might be 0.4.9-10), telling me wonders about it's community, it's 'open-source-ness' and it's modding power. I did start my first world in creative, it was called something like My dream house or something... for a year I built wonderful creations (floating houses, huge wave-like glass/water structures with boats on it, colonies in caves and a lot of funny pixel art and various buildings). one day I flew around so far that I got lost (i didn't know of respawn, coordinates and F3) so I was very sad and I started a new life.
With mesecons, the first mod I ever installed and that I used for years now, I made houses full of traps with pressure plates, lava and pistons. And once, while i tested one trap, I died and got back to my first house. After all this mess I lost my world while updating. I think I cried this day.

I stopped playing for a long period because I bought MC. And for some wierd reason, I got back to MT randomly since 4 years, more or less.
Minetest made me who I am, it's community, it's possibilities... I would be far less happy if minetest didn't existed.
+1 :)

Beautiful, poignantly told story.

I found my paradise when fleeing away in terror from Minecraft, scared by the zombies. Minetest offered a wonderful refuge, a peaceful environment with no bipedal beasts. I am still not sure whether this developed into love already, but I guess it's some kind of strong affection indeed.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I only had $25.95
A Wonderful World

Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

@Krock please make a map with the buildings you can build. I like to take houses from others to my city. I'm happy about every story. You can write them normally or write them as exciting as @azekill_DIABLO.
Spoiler
I hate my life

Phoenixflo44

Re: Post your Minetest story

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

Tell me how you came to minetest since and why you play minetest. Maybe still like you have come to this website since.
Spoiler
I hate my life

Mjollna

by Mjollna » Post

Hello !

This thread looks like a really good place for a first post :)

So I discovered Minetest last year, after being on Minecraft since early beta. As for Minecraft, I wasn't very happy when the whole licence was sold, but I coped with it. It broke something nevertheless for me. Then, a lot later I tried to use mods, but it was crippled with sponsored links, closed sources, and every update seemed to break everything.
These are the reasons why I decided to look for an alternative, and Minetest looked exactly like what I was searching.

Since then, I've tried many mod combinations, looked at how they're made, tweaked some config files, and I had a lot of fun. I hope to get better at the general understanding of the games, and contribute where/when I can.

The game I've used the most is Farlands. Although it's a work in progress, I really liked the balance and the choice of mods in it, and I happily built my first little farm in the snow. After that I tried every mapgen mod I could find on this world, and it generated improbable zones in all sorts of funny ways, which was really cool. I have to say that Minetest is very robust, because I really tried lots of weird combinations, added stuff, removed other things, and my map is still playable :D

Among my best memories of gameplay, there's this afternoon when I dug deep underground, and died repeatedly trying to make huuuge stairs to go back up, or this other time when I got completely lost far from home between big cliffs, and my character survived on fruit picking.

I haven't really tried multiplayer yet, though I used the server list to connect to some servers (sorry I don't remember which ones right now, but all looked cool!) and wander here and there a little bit.

So in terms of "how I play", I'd say that I enjoy testing things, everything related to map generation (although I don't really understand the formulas, I love to look at the results and try things out), and otherwise I like to build small houses in cool places, take a few screenshots, and move somewhere else. I'm not really into technical and industrial stuff. Maybe someday :)

Reedych
GitHub: SlackCoyote
In-game: SlackCoyote

by Reedych » Post

Firstly I have known about Minetest by this video by a noob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69N7Gn0Qto

But I really started to play from 2016.
Slackware64 14.2, MT 0.4.16. My best mod.

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

by Felfalido » Post

I've heard about Minetest first time some years ago (mid 2013 probably) from a blog about FLOSS, but it never caught my attention until 2017-06-28 15:26:06.425267560 (according to the oldest file I have on my ~/.cache/minetest/media folder), when I started playing Minetest; so yeah, I started with current stable version (0.4.16).
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

I became interested in Minecraft due to the South Park episode in late 2013 (though I never actually purchased MC until years later) and started watching Stampy's MC Let's Plays on YouTube. One day in January 2014 I saw "minetest 0.4.9-1" pop up in the Arch Linux feed of updated packages, so I wondered what that was all about. At first I thought it was related to cryptocurrency mining because it had "mine" in its name, but then I quickly found out it was essentially a free MC clone, or at least something close enough.
Last edited by Morn76 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

voxelproof wrote: +1 :)

Beautiful, poignantly told story.

I found my paradise when fleeing away in terror from Minecraft, scared by the zombies. Minetest offered a wonderful refuge, a peaceful environment with no bipedal beasts. I am still not sure whether this developed into love already, but I guess it's some kind of strong affection indeed.
Thank you :D

Your story isn't bad at all too! We all love minetest a bit for that.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

Your stories are really impressive and sometimes even exciting.
Spoiler
I hate my life

Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

The story of the beginning of Minetest,

A long time ago in Minetest years Zero awoke a single player. He was true alone and helpless, but he found himself after a few hours. It's really unusual to awaken on such a big map. Every day he became smarter, better and older. Every year he found new blocks and he found out that he was not alone. Because each player lived in a different dimension. Finally, he decided to bring all these players to a world where they could meet, fight or build with each other. And this world he called "server". This year he will be 17 years old. If he continues to be so diligent, he will live for centuries and make Minetest always better.

That's why I build, Phoenixflo44, for the 17th birthday of the single player A statue in my city and honor him with it.

With this story I thank all the developers that there is Minetest thanks to you now. This is also a call to all the Minetest games. Build me statues with or without mods and provide them to me as a. We file so that I can incorporate them into my city. All of you who are allowed to join here can write a spell that I should write in your statue. It doesn't matter what the statue looks like. Anyone who makes this will be honored with the name you've signed up with. Administrators are given a special place.

I am happy about every statue that is posted.

Greetings Phoenixflo44

PS. I can only download the files from the Minetest page and the GitHub page
Spoiler
I hate my life

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

I discovered Minetest after some clones of Minecraft. I got somehow scared of the monsters and «the sorcery in the game» back then so I looked for something more faster and let's say monster-less. I liked a lot the game so I decided to play it. The curious thing about Minetest is the fact that it introduced me to FOSS; if it wouldn't be for Minetest I wouldn't be using Linux and such thing as cmus and vim nowadays. I really love Minetest.
Have a nice day! :D

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

MineYoshi wrote:I discovered Minetest after some clones of Minecraft. I got somehow scared of the monsters and «the sorcery in the game» back then so I looked for something more faster and let's say monster-less. I liked a lot the game so I decided to play it. The curious thing about Minetest is the fact that it introduced me to FOSS; if it wouldn't be for Minetest I wouldn't be using Linux and such thing as cmus and vim nowadays. I really love Minetest.
Funny how you should mention Minetest introducing you to FOSS. It was the same way for me.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

LegoLogger
GitHub: BakerPrime
IRC: BakerPrime
In-game: BakerPrime

by LegoLogger » Post

Oh I guess I'll go and do it.
I think I started playing Minetest around Spring 2014, on a local world. Me and my brother played on that local world for a while. I did lose a few houses and worlds over the years, but our most developed "first world" is still around. I heard about Minetest from one of my family members who visits "Geek" websites, and found something about Minetest. I have recently purchased M©, but rarely play it. Some of my first servers I joined in 2015 were ShivaJiva's skyblock and VE-Building, fallowed by VE-Creative and VE-Basic. Then in Spring 2017 I started playing VE-Survival.

~~BakerPrime
For those who complain about radiation, I should remind you that every time you leave your house, you step into
the worlds largest radiation beam. (Why else do you think us programmers hide in basements? ;P )

if you need to speak to me, you can catch me on #VE-Minetest-Servers, #RRH-Servers, ##Minetestwithunk, or #Minetest

Phoenixflo44

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

It's really impressive how many join in and the stories are pretty impressive. Everyone has started playing Minetest and can tell me and everyone else how it is true.

Greeting Phoenixflo44
Spoiler
I hate my life