Minetest in schools - Shared computer, disable file access?

Dan2018

Minetest in schools - Shared computer, disable file access?

by Dan2018 » Post

Hi All,

Looking to tryout Minetest in our ICT suite.

On my computer ive managed to remove bits from the menu like the host server button, mod tabs etc.
I would like to distribute these settings (files) out to machines but the problem is the Minetest.exe require modify permissions on files so students could make changes to these files.

Also dont want one student to create a local world and then the next user on the same computer can access it.

Could save in their documents but they would still be able to change settings/files.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Minetest in schools - Shared computer, disable file acce

by sfan5 » Post

You should be able to restrict the modify permission to specific directories, Minetest will usually only need permission to modify minetest.conf and debug.txt.

Alternatively there's a specially configured Minetest (with RUN_IN_PLACE=0) that would cause it to place all user data into %appdata%, so you could run it from a read-only location.
I don't think such a build is currently available for download, but the possibility definitely exists.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Dan2018

Re: Minetest in schools - Shared computer, disable file acce

by Dan2018 » Post

Thanks sfan5,

Enabled access to these 2 files and the game loads us fine, it fails to create a local world but thats fine if it has to be installed for multiple users. Just need to try out the server.

Each restart il send out new conf files to overwrite any student settings.